Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    The Kelty is huge, but it offers a lot of protection for you and for your gear.

I bike tour and use a Warbonnet Superfly. It is probably large enough to cover my hammock and bike, but I just leave my bike out in the rain.

Are you concerned rain will cause rusting or damage something? Do you ride in the rain?

P.S.

I too was concerned about leaving my bike in the rain overnight and considered various options for covering it. However, after considering that fact that I routinely ride in the rain, it occurred to me that overnight rain won't likely hurt anything, and I carry a small bottle of oil for my chain in case it needs oiling. Other than a leather seat, or a seat or handlebar grips that absorb water, there probably is not much to worry about. This is not to say one should leave their bike outside to the elements for long periods of time, but for a touring trip there is likely little damage done.

Here's a bike forum post that provides different points of view on, and different options for, nightly coverage for bicycles while touring:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...er-for-touring
    Last edited by bwg; 08-15-2011 at 20:46.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    heck i can get my harley under the superfly if i do it right.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    The Superfly (or maybe the Old Man Mountain - they look like the same tarp, but I like the Superfly color more) looks like the way to go. I don't mind an extra six ounces for the doors, although if I'm backpacking it'd be a different story I think.

As for leaving the bike out, I realize I could and it wouldn't a be a big deal (aside from the Brooks saddle) but I don't like having to re-lube the chain all the time, and I figure being in the rain more than necessary can't possibly be a good thing. Of course, there will be days of riding in the rain non-stop, but still. But the main thing is I like getting onto a dry bike, and an overnight downpour could be fended off by having the bike under cover.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Kelty Noah 12x12. A bit heavy at 2.5 lb, but bomb proof. Rig it with a large porch for your bike. I usually use hiking poles and/or 5ft bamboo poles to make the porch. CAn easily be pitched asymmetrically, 4' one side and 8' the other side of the ridgeline with the standard tie outs. Fairly easy to add additional tie outs if that layout doesn't work for you.Maybe you can carry 5 ft poles on a bike? The tarp costs ca. $50, the bamboo poles 25 cents each. Good value IMO
    Definitely this one. I have it and it's huge. 16 1/2 feet on the diagonal. 12 tie out points too. There is alot of setup options with this tarp. If you set it up square, you can rig it with doors too.

http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/tarps.html

I want my bicycle to be visible on the road so it has reflectors and reflective tape all over it but I have get it under or behind something if I want to keep a low profile for the evening. I originally bought my tarp as a bike cover and for quick cover in the sun or in the rain while I set up my tent. Now that I'm going to leave the tent behind and the tarp is going to be used with a hammock, there should still be enough room underneath for the bike. (While I was still thinking of getting a HH; one of it's pluses was that I could use its' smaller tarp on the bike.)
    Last edited by cardo; 08-17-2011 at 14:30. Reason: Added link to tarp.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Guide Gear Tarp is similar to the Kelty Noah 12 x 12.

It costs about $30 shipped.
    It has lots of tie outs, but you have to add two to make it work in the traditional winter hammock mode.
    It weighs about 32 oz (I thinK)
    For some reason it disappears and yo ucannot find it online until around October each year. I think this is about half the price of the Kelty.

The Chinook 12x9.5 is also a big tarp.
    It costs about $30 shipped
    It weighs about 32 oz
    You do not need to add tie outs (Well you do if you dont want to use grommets, but its good to go out of the box)
    It also disappears until around October.

I have both and like both. They are considered heavy by many people on this forum. But when I upgraded from a "blue" tarp I thought they were miracles of technology.

Chinnok also makes one which I have not seen which is circus tent size.
    I think it is 12 x 14

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Guide Gear Tarp is similar to the Kelty Noah 12 x 12.

It costs about $30 shipped.
    It has lots of tie outs, but you have to add two to make it work in the traditional winter hammock mode.
    It weighs about 32 oz (I thinK)
    For some reason it disappears and yo ucannot find it online until around October each year. I think this is about half the price of the Kelty.

The Chinook 12x9.5 is also a big tarp.
    It costs about $30 shipped
    It weighs about 32 oz
    You do not need to add tie outs (Well you do if you dont want to use grommets, but its good to go out of the box)
    It also disappears until around October.

I have both and like both. They are considered heavy by many people on this forum. But when I upgraded from a "blue" tarp I thought they were miracles of technology.

Chinnok also makes one which I have not seen which is circus tent size.
    I think it is 12 x 14
    Why is that? It's so weird. I've been wanted to play around with one of these things but can never find them. For $30 though, I'm sure they sell quick.

Fronkey

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Fronkey, I dont know, but if you search the web you will see various camping forums talking about these two tarps. If you pay attention to the dates of the threads they come in in the fall and then sell out quickly only to reappear the next fall. I think I placed an order for the GG tarp at Bargain Outfitters even though it was out of stock. I waited several months and then around October they were in stock and my order shipped. Same for the Chinook.

I do a lot of touring on two wheels, be it on a bicycle/mt. bike or a motorcycle.

I love my Kelty Noah 12x12, it is extremely versatile and can be setup in a lot of different ways, I got mine from SunnySports for $58.00 shipped, it should arrive tomorrow...

I also just ordered another tarp made by Grand Trunk (Funky Forest Tarp), it is a 10x10 and should arrive tomorrow, not a bad deal for $35.00 shipped.

I may actually carry both when motorcycling, set one up as a shelter for the bike/kitchen an use the other to cover the hammock.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Kelty, kind of the Swisss Army knife of tarps....

good luck...
    Last edited by LeDude; 08-18-2011 at 18:13.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast