Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Sept 2011 Minnesota WFA hang

September 16-18, 2011

Southern Minnesota
    I was thinking of Isinours, here is a map of the forest.

The purpose of the hang to learn about Wilderness and Remote First Aid. Others are welcome to come and hang with us, but may be asked to participate in the simulations by acting as victims of an emergency.

A current certification for Adult CPR is a prerequisite for WFA certification. If this is a concern for you, I'll see if I can have a CPR class on the Friday in the afternoon in Rochester (closest large metropolitan area to the trail head).

There are no age restrictions, but unaccompanied minors will not be allowed.

The certification is valid for two years and meets the requirements for the Boy Scouts of America.

Instructions will follow for how to officially register for the class and obtain class materials on the Red Cross website.

This thread is for the purposes of this specific hang only, if you would like to discuss First Aid, or WFA hangs in general, check out this thread.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Those stating their initial interest are

stairguy
    ricecg
    kkilgroe
    Amand
    Snipen
    beep

I'd like to keep the numbers between 6-10.

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Is this to meetup on the 16th...and class will start on 17th...
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    WS I myself will have to Tkae the CPR certification. Will you be able to do this on the Friday or do I nneed to find a course prior to that date?
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuban
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Still a go for me. Will need cpr though. I'll check and see when the local class is bit I might need it by the hang still.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricecg View Post
    Is this to meetup on the 16th...and class will start on 17th...
    I was thinking of covering the introductory materials like what is the Red Cross, what is First Aid, etc. on Friday night. We won't need daylight, so we can do it late by flashlight/campfire. Then a full day Saturday and a half day Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    WS I myself will have to Tkae the CPR certification. Will you be able to do this on the Friday or do I nneed to find a course prior to that date?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipen View Post
    Still a go for me. Will need cpr though. I'll check and see when the local class is bit I might need it by the hang still.
    There is a way to do CPR where the instruction is on video over the internet, then you meet with an instructor to do the manikin part. We can do it this way and I can bring a manikin to the trailhead Friday night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Costs have risen, but not much

I expect everyone to have their own hammock/tent/camping gear/sleep system for a weekend in the woods. Also I expect everyone to bring their own breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks as none of these things will be provided.

There is a $19 administrative fee for each student for each class from the Red Cross, which covers the cost of certification cards, paperworks, etc.

There is a $1.50 cost per student for the consumable materials that will be used in the WFA class. This covers a pair of nylon gloves, etc.

The books will cost $16 and you can get them from me or order them on your own. You can get the "656232 - Wilderness and Remote First Aid Participant's Set, (EA) Rev. 12/09" from ShopStayWell. If you want the books from me, you'll have to let me know ASAP so I can order them.

==================================================
    For people also needing CPR, The following will also apply.

Another $19 administrative fee per student.
    A $0.50 fee for consumable supplies, which is gloves and face mask for manikin.
    An $18 manikin rental fee to be shared among all CPR takers.

==================================================
    This class is being added to the Red Cross training website. When I have a link for it, I'll post it here with instructions for how to register for and pay for the class.

Again, this is the absolute cheapest price for WFA and/or CPR you will find without having somebody else pay for it. A $150 value for less than $40 bucks and CPR for less than $40 as well for those that want to do that.

I have had a few private messages from people who are not interested in the certification, but who would like to attend and get the information. In that case, you can ignore the CPR requirement, although I would highly recommend it, and you can ignore the administrative fee. You would still need to have a set of books and consumable materials.

Also if you just want to hang and take pictures of the rest of us, feel free to do that as well, no cost.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuban
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    hey soda if you can provide a link for the online cpr course that would be great. my local classes wont be till after your hang. So if you could bring the manekin that would be great. When do you need the money sent or should we just bring it too the class.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipen View Post
    hey soda if you can provide a link for the online cpr course that would be great. my local classes wont be till after your hang. So if you could bring the manekin that would be great. When do you need the money sent or should we just bring it too the class.
    I don't have a link yet, but I'll post it here when I do. I'll have one manikin ready and waiting at the trailhead. We can do the manikin skills on the way in or the way out, but I'm thinking that we'll all be on the same schedule on the way out, so that might be better.

I'm not sure if the online registration process for the Red Cross requires payment at the time of registration. I think it does, but if it doesn't then I'll accept checks and cash at the class.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

no link yet

It's taking a lot longer than anticipated to get the paperwork through, but the dates are set and I'll be there. I wanted to share a PDF copy of the books for reference.WFA Student Manual (13.8MB)
    Attached Files Attached Files

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast