WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba/JRB Cat
    Insulation
    summer incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Images

Quehanna & Cross Connector Trails (40 mile loop)

Just spent the last four days on the Quehanna Trail in North Central Pennsylvania. Only saw two other hikers in the four days (and they were going the opposite way). This is in elk territory with lots of ridge top hikes desending into huge drafts then back up another ridge, through huge mountain laurel growths, mountain streams with many signs of bear, coyote, fox, turkey (and even found an eagle feather). Caught the end of wild blueberry season and the beginning of blackberry season. Heard mention that this area reminds hikers of the Dolly Sods (which I have yet to hike). A gem of Pennsylvania hiking.
    'Most people have a few skelotons in their closet, I have a few tents.' ~ d Allen

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Sounds like a beautiful workout. Would love to see pics.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    AHE Toxoway
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd like to see some pics too. I've driven through that area many times on my way north but never camped in there.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    +1 on any pics you might have.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    +2 on the pics.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba/JRB Cat
    Insulation
    summer incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    A fourty mile, four day hike of the Quehanna Wild area was on the agenda for Pete and myself the first weekend in August. An hour or so drive east of the Allegheny National Forest was the start of our weekend trip. Our backpacking trip started just north of the Beaver Run Shallow Water Impoundment located off of the Quehanna Highway. The route started North following the Marrion Brooks Loop and the Cross Connector. This route took us inbetween Porcupine Draft and Mud Lick Hollow. Enjoying the fist several miles and eating wild blueberries along the trail caused us to miss the Quehanna trail and we continued to head north along an old fire road. Further map reading got us heading south where we found our missed turn. Descending the Marion Brooks Natural Area to Porcupine Draft (2100 feet to 1197 ft) at Red Run Mix Road. The rocky descent included little water in the draft and large expanses of Stinging Nettle to keep us aware of our surroundings.Porcupine Draft lead us to Sanders Draft in which we gained most of the previous lost elevation back before passing an old homestead high above any real water source with the exception of a natural spring which probably supported the long ago residents very well even in the driest of days. We continued on to Little Fork Draft overlook where a small, but nice camp and firering were located at the 7 mile mark of our trip. With a great view came no water which required us to ferry water from the spring a quarter mile away.

The following moring our hike continued along a few miles atop one of Elk State Forest's many plateaus before descending another 800 feet down Laurel Draft only to regain that elevation while assending Upper Pine Hollow again hiking a the ridge until descenting into Upper Jersey Run for lunch and a refreshing drink of cold mountain water for both us and the dogs. we continues up Jersey Run to hike several miles including through an elk feeding plot and past and old foundation and a sign marking the spot atop the ridge of Three Runs Look Out Tower which was torn down in 1979 ending an era of the Will Gatlen's of this world. Our hike continues off the mountain to Piper Reservoir for a total close to 14 miles. Alghough the Reservoir appeared long past it's use a Game Commision generator was running, pumping water from the Upper Three Runs for a purpose I suppose other than the work of making noise. Campsites were located in the area, but with the noise of the generator we camped downstream, made dinner and feed the dogs.

The following moring's humidity brought a downpour that soaked what was not alreadly damp with sweat or condensation, a quick elevation gain out of the valley and across the mountain ridges passing Fisher Rocks. After several hours of hiking of another 12 mile or so day we descended quickly to Mosequito Creek for lunch and another opportunity to refill our water and give the dogs a a quick swim. We were able to cross the "closed" brigde which will probably be undercut by the currents and in the stream bed after next springs floods. The trail lead us by a hunter's cabin and straight up to the top of the ridge nearing 1900 feet from a 1308 start. Along the way more great views and a marker noting where three "Wild Cats" were shot on November 20th, 1946. We followed Mosquito Creek North from the top of the ridge through a unfrequently traveled part of the trail based on the overgrown fauna, downed trees and more bear tracks than human. As evening approached we descended off the mountain, again crossing Mosequito Creek, following a fireroad before following Meeker Run for a short bit where we found a pleasant campsite along the creek, with waterfall. It was nice to remove both rain soaked, humidity drenched socks, boots and shirt to put on less wet articles of clothing for the eveing.

Day four left us with less than seven or eight miles to hike out back past Beaver Run and to the car. Several more signs of bear, coyote and any other animal that wants only the solitude that such a wild place can bring.
    Last edited by blueblaze; 08-08-2011 at 17:59. Reason: a more detailed report
    'Most people have a few skelotons in their closet, I have a few tents.' ~ d Allen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba/JRB Cat
    Insulation
    summer incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    here are a few of the pics I took of the area, hard to capture it though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Sounds & looks like a fine hike, enjoyed the ride.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    Sounds like a great hike. I need to get back up there. It's been years. I take it water was no problem. I had heard of bad water from fracking.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    So you didn't see any ratlers I have seen one each time I have been on the trail minus the Cross connector, Glad you and the dogs had fun

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast