Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Talking Question about Sewing Tree Straps

I have nylon tree straps, and I am very unhappy with how much they stretch. I am completely in awe of, and overwhelmed by, how many proper ways there are to hang.

After lots of reading, I have decided that I am going to make some whoopie slings.

So for the tree straps, should I use dutch clips, or carabiners? Couldn't I just double the strap over and sew a loop and not need the hardware?

Will a home sewn loop hold if I use the square and X pattern? Or if I do need the hardware can I just sew them onto some polyester webbing and that will hold? I have a good machine, but nothing else I have sewn has has that much pull on such a small area, so I am wary.

Obviously I am a noob, so any advice would be very much appreciated!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Loops are fine for a no hardware approach. You'll need to feed the webbing completely thru the eye at set-up and take down. Make sure to cinch them down good. If they slide against the webbing, they'll be issues with wear.

Box stitch and x stitch is fine. Use good thread. NOT COTTON.
    I usually sew eyes on both ends, makes the strap universal.
    If you decide to add hardware down the road either the DC or carabiner will work in the loop. Just add a hand stitch to lock the DC in.

Welcome.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    If you get some thick polyester thread for this you should be fine. If in doubt, throw an extra line or two of stitches in there. You can also add security by lengthening the sewn area.

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    If I'm not mistaken bar tacks (3-4) are ideal and have a higher breaking point than a box stitch.
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thank you Gargoyle, Shumway, and Ryvr for your advice! I really appreciate it.

Just one last question, for anyone. If you were making tree huggers, would you add dutch clips, use carabiners, or just sew loops? Why is that your preference over the other choices?

Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thank you Shewie! I appreciate your advice...and reassurance.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pb&j View Post

Just one last question, for anyone. If you were making tree huggers, would you add dutch clips, use carabiners, or just sew loops? Why is that your preference over the other choices?
    For a long time I just threaded the tree strap webbing through the sewn eye loop -- a savings of hardware weight. It takes a bit of time to do, but it's not a real big deal.

Then I started using Dutch clips. Super cool. These are now my favorite option, primarily because they are so quick and easy. I often make minor adjustments to the straps to get the right height and hang angle and if the eye loop and webbing needs to be detached, the Dutch clip makes the process a breeze.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

I prefer using some type of hardware as opposed to threading the working end through the eye. Reason being - if you need to adjust the height of the strap for any reason and there are limbs above or below the spot the strap is currently at; you need to un-thread the entire strap, move up or down, and re-thread. This is especially annoying if your hammock is already attached to the strap as you have to undo that, then move the strap, then re-thread the strap, then reattach the hammock.

Now as to what to use - I used Dutch Clips for a bit. I like the less fiddle factor of climbing rated carabiners.

With Dutch Clips, there is a specific way that they should be loaded.
    With carabiners, you can pretty much clip them on any old way with no hesitation.

This is especially nice when you would like to slightly move your hammock to one side or the other of the tree. You can move the biner left or right on the tree with no worries.

YMMV

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I prefer using some type of hardware as opposed to threading the working end through the eye. Reason being - if you need to adjust the height of the strap for any reason and there are limbs above or below the spot the strap is currently at; you need to un-thread the entire strap, move up or down, and re-thread. This is especially annoying if your hammock is already attached to the strap as you have to undo that, then move the strap, then re-thread the strap, then reattach the hammock.

YMMV
    i agree. ran into this situation and cursed myself for being a gram weiner and not using my dutch clips. it was annoying.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Will a home sewn loop hold if I use the square and X pattern?
    I've been using a set of DIY straps for a couple of years without any probs, I did a union jack pattern just for added security as my sewing skills are useless.

Good quality poly thread like a Gutterman will do nicely.

Trust your stitching bud, it'll be fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast