depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    My 70 pound Golden Doodle sleeps wherever he feels like, although he sleeps under the tarp more now that he's getting older (he is 9). He generally finds a few suitable spots around the camp site and moves between them during the night. I do not tie him or leash him at night. I have, however, canceled a trip a mile into it when we spotted two bears on the trail within 10 minutes and I didn't feel we could move far enough away before dark (it was already getting dark). I didn't want my dog sniffing out and engaging a bear in the night and didn't want to confine (tie) him in case a bear came around. He was a few yards ahead of me and encountered the first bear before I saw it. The dog seemed curious and started to follow the bear until I called him back (thank god he obeyed...) so, when we saw the second bear, I made a decision to hike out and go home. On the way out we almost stepped on a rattlesnake in the trail but that's another story.

I have put down various items such as a raincoat, a trash bag and a CCF pad but Marlee has only lain on the pad and that was only once. At MAHHA he often burrows down in the leaves slightly. Other places he mats down grass or finds a bush to crawl part way under. He seems to like pine straw as well. He does not mind rain or snow and even sleeps in the rain at times when camping.

When we got Marlee as a puppy, I jokingly told the family I had rights to the pup on cold nights camping and that I was going to teach him to sleep on my feet (pre-hammock). The only time he actually slept at/on my feet was in a lean-to in the Adirondacks when it was raining. Unfortunately, Marlee decided my feet were the place to settle down right after he came in from sleeping in the rain. Wet does mean cold to human feet!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post

No instructions available - it's made out of recycled gear and crazy notions, too complicated to reproduce or even describe.
    I believe the correct term is: to awesome for you!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Would be awesome to train a dog to sleep in there own hammock..
    Pondering the idea....

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Dogs differ; some take to hammocks, some don't like the unsteadiness. We flatter ourselves when we say we train dogs to do things. What we really do is reinforce particular behaviors that they do on their own.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    yeti/burrow
    That dog hammock is a pretty sweet setup.

Hammock
    Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Edge SpinnUL
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3-Season
    Images
    Oddly enough I've had no issues with my beast of a dog:

Plenty of room for both of us

However one of my buddies brings a 30lb mix breed with him (looks like a small pit), and the dog (named Bruce) decided to jump through the netting on a Skeeter Beeter one night after he heard me getting out of my hammock. He replaced it with a Warbonnent and he and Bruce stayed in it a few nights in his garage to get him used to it and hasn't had any issues since.

Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    My dog is apparently under the impression she is Royalty. May be the five stack doggie bed cave someone built for her at home. Wasn't me. She would feel that pea growing in China and bug me all night. I sure would like to see an expandable picture of that doggie hammock, and would be very grateful. She loves her T-rest in the tent and settles in nicely.
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings

more dog and hammock stuff

I was in the Peace Corps in Honduras when I got my pup, Tazi. I slept on a cot because at the time I couldn't figure out how to get the bug net around my hammock. Well the dog knew where the more comfortable place to sleep was, and in the middle of the night she would sneak away from me and get in the hammock on her own! There were no spreader bars on that one, either! She was one determined little pup...

Anyway, fast forward about 10 years and I'm now re-introducing hammocks to this same dog. She's okay with hammocks, but doesn't love them like she used to. One trick I used was sliding her into a little kid-sized sleeping bag and then having her curl up with me in the hammock.

I made sure she was as comfortable as possible and had her head sticking out of the sleeping bag, etc. I also picked a cool night before deciding to wrap her up. I think she liked the security of the sleeping bag wrapped nice and snug all around her and I liked the piece of mind having her claws safely buffered by a layer of insulation. It only took one night like that and she started to get back in the swing of things.

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
    I sure would like to see an expandable picture of that doggie hammock, and would be very grateful.
    Try this.. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...age.php?i=7391

click the photo once loaded and it will load the full size, very large photo..

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post

No instructions available - it's made out of recycled gear and crazy notions, too complicated to reproduce or even describe.

OMG I love this picture!! Wish it would enlarge so I could see it better. How cute.
    My poodle dogs are only 5 lbs...so I will take turns with them on trips and they'll sleep with me in my hammock. I don't think I'd want to take more than one at a time because it would be too many legs to worry about rolling on and possibly causing serious harm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast