HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps

Dogs and Hammock backpacking

I have been searching and its not a topic I really find covered.
    How many of you bring your dog along and where does he sleep?

When there small they could curl up in the hammock, but when they get bigger that would be a pain as well as possibly damaging to the hammocks.
    I've thought about bringing a good corkscrew stake or making a "run" that
    is tied between the trees under the hammock.

So I am curious what you all do, and problems you have run across?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Mine sleeps in the tent with my GF. If it was just the dog and I, I'd take her portable kennel and stick it under my tarp. The WBBB just doesn't seem big enough for the two of us. And I'm nervous about those claws tearing the fabric. She's a 35 pound border collie if that helps.
    The crate is like this
    Last edited by shumway; 08-08-2011 at 16:38. Reason: added url

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    We have two big standard poodles. I know that's ridiculous but both of them have slept with me in my hammock. As long as they are warm underneath they're good and they settle down and go to sleep. I have to figure out a way to bend around them or sleep with them under my knees but it isn't impossible.

They're really a lot more of a danger around guylines than anything else, especially if you're in a more public-facing area and have to tie them together or to an object that is near your guylines. They can cause a lot of problems in this scenario. Better to leave them in the truck if you can.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    My 60lb husky sleeps on her backpacking pad directly beneath me. I pack a corkscrew stake with a 15ft lead so she doesn't wander in the night. The only problems arise when she gets up in the middle of the night and gets tangled in the tarp guylines; folks here recommend tying them off above the ground, which seems to work.

Having her with me on the trail is well worth the extra pack weight!
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Black lab 70lbs. I laid out a small pad and blanket, tied her leash to the tree (same one the hammock was tied to) and she curled up all night.
    No need for a screw in stake. I kept the leash short so if she did run wild she wouldn't wreck the tarp or guylines.
    Skeeters can be a pest to doggies too. Go prepared.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

I've got two ACDs (heelers) that go with me.
    I have two of the leashes with the internal "bungee cords" that can stretch. They also have large loop/handles that can be adjusted to fit around your waist if you jog with your dog. Well, those big loops are great for clipping around a tree.
    Basically, I tether one dog to each of my hammock trees and I put their water dish out to one side where they can stretch the full length of the leash to get a drink if needed, but where the water dish isn't under my hammock. They just curl up under my hammock (and thus are also protected from the elements by my tarp). Sometimes I'll throw down an old fleece blanket for them to sleep on, and it's also a good place for me to stand on while taking my boots off before bed or whatever.
    As a bonus they serve as my early-warning-alarm system. If they hear or see something strange, their stirring will shake my hammock trees and usually wake me up.

Images
    i have a 65# lab and she sleeps in the hammock with me.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I tie Ivy to one of my hanging trees, short enough to stay out of trouble, but long enough that she can come smile at me in the morning
    I try to tie off to trees, but sometimes the weather nixes that, but so far we have not had guyline issues. I put down a windshield reflector thingy for her, but she usually just sprawls wherever. I also consider her my early warning system for people, bears, deer, etc. She hates it when deer come too close and she makes sure the squirrels show proper respect. I love having her with me; she eats any leftovers: dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Tonks sleeps right under the hammock. Just within arms reach.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    The point of this was backpacking which usually means more than one day and no where near cars. I want to have the dog with me on the trail.
    There are ways to avoid guy line problems.

Quote Originally Posted by more View Post
    We have two big standard poodles. I know that's ridiculous but both of them have slept with me in my hammock. As long as they are warm underneath they're good and they settle down and go to sleep. I have to figure out a way to bend around them or sleep with them under my knees but it isn't impossible.

They're really a lot more of a danger around guylines than anything else, especially if you're in a more public-facing area and have to tie them together or to an object that is near your guylines. They can cause a lot of problems in this scenario. Better to leave them in the truck if you can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast