Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Clark XL and standard fly /tarp dimensions?

What are the dimensions of the Clark tarps?

Please, no reference to the web page, which gives only maximum dimensions, and which includes at least one tarp the shape and size of which is unlike those of two other Clark tarps I am familiar with. As at least the Vertex is (currently) nominal cat cut, the dimensions between the cuts would be useful to know, for coverage. So, I've furnished the dimensions from a cinder-burned Vertex tarp which HF member lowclass sold me as one-night use new.

...........................................Max.... ..Min........Length(Ridgeline)

Standard...............................???......?? ?........???

XL (Extra Large?)..................???.....???........???

Vertex................................108......... 80.........124

(My measurements are from an unstretched tarp.)

HF member DaleW is currently selling one tarp he believes is a Clark standard. It is shorter, wider, and narrower than what Clark shows on its web page. (no, that was not an error : the tarp is narrower at one end than at the other.)

I've done due diligence in trying to find these dimensions from old postings.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-09-2011 at 07:30. Reason: spelling

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    No owners of Clark hammocks will pull their rain-flys out and report what the measurements (and maybe features) are?

There must be some who also recall the history of changes in the specification.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Bump. Nobody with a Clark tarp will comment on whether the web page illustration is completely adequate to describe the current tarps?

Nobody will describe their tarps from 2 or more years ago?

Hammock
    Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark

XL tarp

Hi Demostix, I'll try and get around to it in a few days and do some measurements for you and maybe include a few photos that show the features. You can check out some pics of the setup here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...p?albumid=1394 in the meantime.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phan-tom View Post
    Hi Demostix, I'll try and get around to it in a few days and do some measurements for you and maybe include a few photos that show the features. You can check out some pics of the setup here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...p?albumid=1394 in the meantime.
    Thanks, much. I'd appreciate it; your posting will diminish the likelihood of someone being surprised or disappointed about what an XL tarp is, should another one be offered for sal.

Yes that is one of the classic Clark tarps, expensively constructed, what with its tail and multiple seams. I can't tell how that XL is different from their Standard tarp of the time, as camera angles can be deceiving. So, measurements would be appreciated.

The Clark web site mixes tarps of different sizes and periods.

Hammock
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    Heres a few measurements and some photos I managed to get in between rain showers on the weekend. I noticed on the Clark website that the XL tarp is supposed to be 323cm long and I only came up with 265.5 so I don't know whats going on there? I'll have to get the tape out and measure again sometime to prove to myself that its an error on their behalf and I'm not a complete moron... Weight, by the way, from my dodgy kitchen scales was approx. 350g.

Anyway, this diagram that I drew up has all the pertinent measurements in millimeters

and heres some photos showing some more detail of the stitching, clips, tie-outs etc

Last edited by phan-tom; 08-28-2011 at 20:38. Reason: ironing out photo bugs

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Thermarest Z-Lite
    Looking at pictures, it also looks like the tarp dimensions might be different between the Clark hammocks with poles vs without or at least the cut looks different. Any one know?

Hammock
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    Well, I had all my gear out today in preparation for a kayak camp in a week or so and thought I'd check the measurements I'd taken for the Clark XL tarp that I supposedly have while it was set up.

I checked out the website where it says the length should be 323cm (127 inches) which doesnt equal the 265.5cm (104.5 inches) that I get. I'm not sure why this is so but either 2 feet got lost in the post, the tarps have changed design over time or I was sent the wrong one. I woul really like the extra protection as the tarp at the moment only just covers the hammock end to end, not much good in wind driven rain. I even tried rigging up my Wilderness Equipment 3mx3m 75D Poly tarp over it while I had it set up, which provides a nice amount of space, but its no where near as simple or easy as the XL tarp to get right and weighs an extra 700 grams to boot.

Anyone have any idea about why the tarp size differs from that advertised?

I also has a funny moment when I grabbed the edge of the UQ instead of the hammock and fell straight on the ground with a bang, lucky only the dog saw it

Hammock
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark

More on Clark tarp dimensions...

After a few emails with Clark Outdoor Products recently I can provide a bit more info in regard to their line up of tarp shapes and sizes.

Apparently a 'few weeks' after I ordered my Tropical with XL tarp, June 2010, there was a redesign and they started shipping a new tarp setup with their hammocks. The sizes currently on the website are accurate and basically all the tarps are now longer than they used to be to accomodate the new suspension system, where the tarp and netting go up with the hammock base ropes (if that makes sense, I havent actually seen it in action yet). Sounds great as there is now need to rig up the tarp separate to the hammock. Also the Vertex tarp is no longer a tapered design it is the same width at both ends, 120 inches (304cm).

Wish I had of known when I ordered as I happily would have waited a 'few weeks' to get the updated design as it sounds like a solid improvement all round. and I am left thinking I ended up with the old system just so that Clark could clear their floor stock... but thats just the cynic in me because we all know that every company is always trying to maintain consumer interest by updating and improving all the time otherwise we would all still be using commodore 64's and 2 megapixel DSLR's etc and I just missed out is more like the truth.

But my dilemma is do I buy a new tarp from Clark at considerable cost and have the old one rot in the cupboard or do I try a MYOG tarp or maybe buy a third party model like the terrarosa tarps ??

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Continents apart, we are hanging the same rigs: Tropical II with the XL rain fly "upgrade" that is under-length compared to the web page specification. Maybe Mr. Clark will explain it to you as nobody here has been willing to. If he does, I hope you will post the explanation here.
    Your photos, measurements, and diagrams are all excellent. The only thing you missed describing was the three-dimensionality of the fly, in that tailoring of the tail section. Nothing shabby or cost cutting in this 12(?) oz sil-nylon fly / tarp. I believe the design is meant to enhance a taut hang, and that there was an expectation that the tail would be tied lower, shedding rain away from the head. But, that is just speculation on my part.

I have been alternating use of this rain fly every other night with one currently listed and described as the Clark Vertex model. As you say, our XL can and does work; but the wonder is how this XL can be the standard tarp for the NX250, which is among Clark's longer hammocks. That hmmck barely fits beneath it.

You might disappointed that none of the Clark owners here have responded to your post, even if this were a thread started by a pariah. Old archives include old grumbles about the Clark tarp size. One would think that paying extra for the XL upgrade would at least get a large fly -- as in Xtra Large. But, except for your measurement and plan view, I think the archives and Clark owners are all silent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast