Dyeing a tarp? (Speer's Winter Tarp?)

I'd love to get a Speer Winter Tarp but I hate that grey color so I just emailed Ed Speer to see if he would know the answer to this querry.

Anyone try dyeing their tarp with clothing dye, like RIT's dye http://www.ritdye.com/ for a change of color? If so, did it damage it or change it's waterproofing at all? I wonder if a water repellent can be sprayed on after dyeing?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This doesn't answer your question about dyeing, but are the SWT's actually grey? I thought I read that they used that color for mockups and photos. I may be mistaken on that, though.

Also, the JRB 11x10 can be pitched similarly, and comes in both green and brown.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

DOH! I didn't see RIT had a FAQ available. They state, "Q. What types of fabrics can I dye with RIT Dye?
    A. RIT will dye most washable fabrics, including 100% cotton, linen, rayon, wool, and silk. It will also dye synthetics such as rayon, nylon, and acetate as well as fiber blends with at least 60% cotton or other dyeable fiber. (Blends will tint evenly but will not achieve full color.) There are fabrics, however, that will not accept dye, such as fabrics with 50% or more polyester, 100% acrylic, fiberglass, metallic fibers, fabrics with rubber backing or special finishes such as water-repellent fabrics with bleach damage or extensive staining, and fabrics that are washable only in cold water or labeled “dry clean only.”

Now, the way they word this is interesting....so I'm going to call RIT and ask.

See, now this what I get trying to kick caffeine! LOL! I can't get as much done as quickly. Looks like the JRB 11x10 in green would be the way to go. Thanks for the head's-up Angrysparrow!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You can't even get Duct Tape to stick to silnylon. I doubt very seriously that you will get a dye in the fabric.

The SWT comes in mostly gray. Ed said that there were a very tarps he made in a brown or green, but they are rare.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My SWT is a medium-dark gray and I got no problem with it. I'm not too picky about colors with my hammock, tarp, etc. Afterall, it's not a fashion show. And I'm definitely with you, HC. You can't get anything to stick to sil, so how's dye going to penetrate it?

Images
    you can't dye sil, i was gonna see about having some logos printed on sil and then making the pocket on the eldorado out of that. i had a print place try, and sure enough, they said it couldn't be done. and if you notice, everyone that has logos on their rainfly's aren't sil.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    .......if you notice, everyone that has logos on their rainfly's aren't sil.
    About the only folks that I've seen with a logo emblazoned upon their tarps is ENO. There may be others, but I haven't noticed it if ther are. And I can definitely vouch that their tarps aren't sil, it's a heavier coated ripstop of some sort. Makes me glad to have my SWT so I can ditch the ENO tarps. Anyone want to buy a couple used tarps?

Images
    i think msr shelters have logos, other tent companies have logos on their rainflys as well, none sil that i have noticed. kelty noah has print on it doesn't it? what is it made of?

• + New Posts