First cold night

Last night with temps predicted for high 20's, I figured why not try out the new JRB 3 season set. I started out the night at 36 degrees with the nest, no sniveler, and weather shield on my HH ULBP. I slept great for the first two hours then I woke up cold. I fgured the temp must have gone down quite a bit. Imagine my surprise when the thermometer said 35degrees.

At this point I decided to try plan B, which was to move the no sniveler down as a second under quilt and use my WM Ultra light as a top quilt. This kept me warm for four hours and the temp read 29 degrees.

Needless to say I was dissapointed. I know it should work better than this. How can I tell how much space I have between the quilt and the hammock when I am by myself? It seemed like the quilts may have been hanging too low, but the suspension cords looked like they were fully stretched, and would not bring the ends up any more. I am sure I am doing something wrong, but don't know what adjustments to make.

I forgot to add, I was wearing REI Power stretch tops and bottoms, wool socks, and a polypro hat.

Images
    Wow, this thread combined with Fishbone's recent thread ( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3716 ) and others in the past, really makes you wonder. These quilts clearly require some precise adjustments if they are going to be used in the 30s or lower.

You say it looked to you like it was TOO loose, but the suspension cords were as tight as they could be, and looked really stretched? Well then, could it be that it was actually too TIGHT, and once you got in and weighted the hammock, you sunk down MORE than the quilt did and compressed the down, collapsing the loft?

I don't have a clue, I'm just guessing wild here. I do know that with my PeaPod, it has to hang a good bit ( 6-12") lower than my empty hammock. Because the hammock sags a lot in the middle, but the PeaPod- attached on the ends, does not seem to sag any where near as much as the hammock does. So if I have less than 6" separating the two, I will get a lot of down compression and loft loss, for sure!

Now with a top loading, net free hammock, it is just real easy to reach around the hammock ( while you are in it ) and feel to see if A: I have too much gap between my butt and the PeaPod OR B: I am too tight up against the hammock wit the pod, causing the loft to be compressed.

But, in a HH with it's net, you are going to have to have someone help you make the adjustments, I think. A two man job. Somebody to lay in the hammock, while the other person checks for either gaps OR the opposite of gaps, which is loft compression, and adjusts accordingly. Then once it is adjusted properly, hopefully you can leave it on there. Plus, you will know what it looks like when it is adjusted properly with the right amount of sag, in case you ever have to make another adjustment by yourself.

Of course, I'm no UQ expert ( other than PeaPods, about which I am slightly knowledgeable ), so I'm just kind of guessing here. Some other quilt users should have better advice for you. Good luck!
    Bill

PS:
    Where were you cold? All over, or just on top, or just your back or butt? That will give you a clue as to where to start. If it was your butt mainly, my bet is too tight with resulting loft compression.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-25-2008 at 15:24.

I was kinda cold all over. What made me think it was loose, was that when I looked thru the slit in the hammock, ther was about a 2" gap between the hammock and the UQ. But I was also sitting up at that time so that may have had an effect. That and it did not seem like I was sunk down into the UQ very far, I did not have the sides of the hammock pulled out, fiquring this would allow the quilt to envelope me somewhat.
    I guess I'll try loosening them. Too bad it is starting to warm up.

Bil

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by troglobil View Post
    I was kinda cold all over. What made me think it was loose, was that when I looked thru the slit in the hammock, ther was about a 2" gap between the hammock and the UQ. But I was also sitting up at that time so that may have had an effect. That and it did not seem like I was sunk down into the UQ very far, I did not have the sides of the hammock pulled out, fiquring this would allow the quilt to envelope me somewhat.
    I guess I'll try loosening them. Too bad it is starting to warm up.

Bil
    Well maybe it was too loose. You need someone to work with you to tell you for sure. But if it was too loose, but you say the cords were stretched and it couldn't be pulled up anymore, then I'm not sure how you tighten it some more?

• + New Posts