Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Well, my experience has been that normally, you need something that provides the functionality of all the things you've listed.

You need weather protection/tarp.
    You need insulation/UQ-TQ-pads-sleeping bags.
    You need something to carry it all in-pack.

Typically, you need to buy things that meet ALL of these needs.

I don't know what all you have now...but it looks like you've got at least some of what you need already.

Make sure you've got all these needs adequately covered to begin with. Then, if you have sufficient means, upgrade ONE of these items at a time to your "end goal" for that particular type of gear. Your prioritization might be based off of best improvement, least cost, most comfort improvement, etc...

Example...a walmart blue pad performs the same basic function as a Kick *** quilt underquilt...just not as nicely...but much more cheaply. Start with that if you need to, upgrade to the quilt when you can.

A cheap backpack does the same thing as a $250 Osprey pack does...but the Osprey does it more comfortably. If you need to, start out the what you can afford, then upgrade to what you want later.

So if you have a SUFFICIENT backpack, tarp, top insulation, and bottom insulation today...then start planning out what you want to upgrade each of them to eventually, figure out the costs, and prioritize according to what's most relevent to you. Then upgrade as funds/comfort/etc... allows you too.

For example...I had a SUFFICIENT piece of equipment for each category. But...I wanted to upgrade each piece...I started with the sleeping bag because it was the cheapest/easiest upgrade to do. Next was the backpack...because I had SUFFICIENT gear already, but upgrading the sleeping system and backpack had the best weight reduction improvement for me.

So, get a base system together cheaply/easily...work out what upgrades you want to make over time...and then prioritize those upgrades and buy them accordingly.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    backpack should be the last thing you get .... you can always get a cheap backpack to hold you over but there is nothing like a good UQ ... get the UQ
    you can use your old sleepingbag as a TQ for now
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Ok, so I think every possible combination order has already been mentioned. So my recommendation is to decided how to do you want to proceed? Do you want to get out on the trail right away, or do you want to have all of your gear set and ready before you hit the trail?

Fall and it's cooler temps are right around the corner, even if it doesn't feel like right now. A cheap bag, while a temporary and heavy option is a way to get on the trail fast.

While I agree that if you're going to do something do it right the first time. If you can come up with a stopgap measure (such as cheap backpack to get started with) go for it. Once you get the pack you really want just throw it in the back of the gear closet to use a loaner for friends or PIF it out. Look for deals also on gently used gear. The most I've paid for any of my gear is my backpack and I only paid $50 for it. Partially because the seller is a great guy and partially because I was in the right place at the right time.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Definitely, gear first - pack last.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thexuprising has a new handle! "Exup" - I like it. He has also given you the best advice: UQ first.

I'm puzzled, though. You're weighing pack vs. UQ, TQ, & tarp? You must be thinking of a very expensive pack or some really cheap and dirty other gear.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I was looking at a $250 (range) pack. As for the other gear, I know they will cost about $150-300 each (if I go upper end).

I currently have a really shotty backpack and a sleeping bag (enough gear to do a 2 night stay) and have used it a few times. I am looking to upgrade my gear, and I really just wanted to know what should be my 1st goal.

From what every one is saying, I think I will go for a good tarp 1st as that will keep me dry and a bit warmer.

Off to another section to learn about tarps! (Right?)

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thank you WV, I have been wanting to change me handle. Hmmm. I wonder if the mods would let me.

Nicu, I agree a tarp is certainly the most important. You have to stay dry before warm. But the options of cheap tarps are out there. My first backpacking trip I used 10 x 8 poly blue tarp and stayed completely dry in a big rain and thunderstorm. Gear guide makes 12 x 12 tarps for around $20 as well but weigh arpund 2lbs I believe.

You will not be able to sleep in a hammock past august without a UQ or pad. And pads aren't worth the hassle unless there's no other option. And tonight for example the low is 57 degrees. I would not be able to sleep in that with nothing under me.

Here's my idea, borrow my tarp and backpack, or buy a cheap pack for $30ish. $10-$20 tarp. $10 sleep bag. Dicks has a fleece bag I made to a 10oz tq that I had no problem taking to 47 degree on the AT because I woar my clothes and had a 3 season UQ. They also have a $10 sleeping bag that could be made into a TQ easily and defiently get you a bit lower. You'll be around $50-$80. After that, save $50 every month and within a year you'll be completely set with a nice lightweight system and then some.

Learn to pack other stuff correctly. My baseweights are around 7-8lns for summer and 3 season. If I replaced the "big four" with a 5lb pack, 2lb tq, 2lb tarp, 1lb down uq I'd still be under a 15lbs base weight with the other "cheaper" stuff. Just something to think about.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Thank you WV, I have been wanting to change me handle. Hmmm. I wonder if the mods would let me.
    I started out as "WVhammockmaker". It was cumbersome for others to type, and for me to say when I introduced myself at hangs. People started shortening it to "WV", so I asked the mods to make it official. They were happy to comply.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Paul over at AHE is having a super sale on one of his uq; you might want to check it out!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    You can buy cheap bags for 10 bucks at a garage sale, cheap 10x10 PE tarp for 10.00, and a wal-mart pad for 10-30ish, and blankets are plentiful. I started that way, and while there are obviously benefits to upgrading all, the only one that too me is an opportunity you don't want to miss is the UQ. It is significantly more comfortable than a wal mart blue pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast