Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Looking into it and thinking about it, I just might have to take you up on that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Here's my idea, borrow my tarp and backpack, or buy a cheap pack for $30ish. $10-$20 tarp. $10 sleep bag. Dicks has a fleece bag I made to a 10oz tq that I had no problem taking to 47 degree on the AT because I woar my clothes and had a 3 season UQ. They also have a $10 sleeping bag that could be made into a TQ easily and defiently get you a bit lower. You'll be around $50-$80. After that, save $50 every month and within a year you'll be completely set with a nice lightweight system and then some.

Learn to pack other stuff correctly. My baseweights are around 7-8lns for summer and 3 season. If I replaced the "big four" with a 5lb pack, 2lb tq, 2lb tarp, 1lb down uq I'd still be under a 15lbs base weight with the other "cheaper" stuff. Just something to think about.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    You've gotten just about every possible order reccomended, and I think any order can be right depending on your priorities.

Priority: "I gotta get my hiking fix now. Will upgrade later."
    1. Cheap pack
    2. Tarp (either cheap WM or go straight for your final tarp)
    3. Pads (upgrade to uq later)
    4. Sleeping bag used as tq (upgrade later)

Don't forget your other important items like your cooking kit, clothing, and water treatment. These are necessary to get out into the woods at all, so you will have to purchase them even before you complete your upgrades on the "Big 4."

Priority: "I'd rather buy once and get it all right."
    1. Underquilt
    2. Tarp
    3. Top quilt
    4. Other (cook kit, water treatment, clothes...)
    5. Pack
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If you are starting from scratch. Buying a quality pack, that is rated for the target weight you want to carry, can save some money in the long run.

If you buy an OHM, Jam, or whatever, you will purchase what will fit into it. If the pack will comfortably carry 25lbs or less, then you will probably be gearing up with fairly quality gear, and that means you can also put off replacement cost for down the road a ways, and there is value in that.

If you have most your gear, then find a pack that fits it, and hit the trail.

Later, as you refine your kit, another pack or two will probably still be in your future, so keep it simple, and have fun.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    To me, it has alot to do with what you are planning on doing. If you are mostly car camping, don't bother with a primo pack. Also there are people who only hike 1/4 of a mile to camp at a shelter, in that case I personally would just carry a duffle bag and save the money. As for me, I do not car camp and my main objective is hiking. Camping is a way to extend the hiking for me. Recently on a long backpacking trip my hammock broke, rendering my UQ useless. I slept on the ground under my tarp. The point being that for my objectives, the pack is primary and i made do without hammock or UQ(keep in mind that I enjoy challenges, if i wanted it really easy i would be at home). I bought my Pack first and then filled the pack, i knew the weight i wanted to carry and bought gear that would fit. Maybe that is bass-ackwards but it worked well for me.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    If it were me, I'd go for the pack first. That's because you can sleep in adequate comfort with any old sleeping bag (so long as it's warm enough) and a cheap pad underneath you, but if you're backpacking out into the woods, not having a proper backpacking pack will make you miserable. I can't imagine hiking all day with one that doesn't put the weight onto your waist, etc.

But if you're not hiking much, then it's different. But given that this is summer, you can probably make it with just a sleeping bag and pad, and then upgrade to a UQ later. But otherwise I'd say pack first. And remember, ultralight packs are generally cheaper than other ones, it's just that they require all your other gear to be pretty light as well.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    Here's my 5 cents (inflation you know)...

You already have a hammock, are most likely profficient with it and know that you will need and most likely currently use a pad for warmth. If you don't mind using the pad skip buying the AHE Jarbridge 10 day and running out sale. If you don't like pads don't skip the AHE UQ sale. It is a fine piece of gear and you won't see the 80.00 buck sale price maybe for another year if ever. I'd think about buying the UQ because of the AHE pgibson's great current price for a great piece of gear he is discounting for his 2nd Year Anniversary Sale.

TQ you can scrounge and use about anything to get you by for a while. IE: Sleeping Bag, Quilt, Fleece Blanket, Poncho Liner, Whatever...

Not sure what other pieces of gear you have or also might need as well.
    IE: pot, stove, water filtration, etc.... think about that list and then you might think about a next step buying a tarp.

Reminder if you are not needing the " Great Price and On Sale UQ" as anyone can tell you the value and comfort of a UQ. I would think the "Tarp" might be a good next item to purchase. Plus you will have many more opportunities for backyard/car-camping setting it up playing around with it and your hammock testing and using it.

Borrow, beg, but don't steal a backpack if you need to get away. You can get good prices on BP's that might not be UL but will be functional and will get you out in the piney's with out breaking the bank, IMO You will have more oppurtunity using your Hammock, UQ or Tarp, Then using your BackPack right now.

BackPacks will be a piece of gear that you will want to research for size, type and of course will want to be light and comfy. It will also cost a few quaters too.

Amass any other core hiking gear you might might need research your pack for size and type then buy your pack last.

Just my oppinion Nicodumas and food for thought.

Happy Trails...
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

backpack on craigslist

When I was looking for camping gear prior to finding hammock forums I sposted on my local craigslist section in the gear wanted area. Several people offered for free older external frame backpacks which would do in an emergency. You might try that but be careful and only post your email address if possible. Surprising how many people responded to me. Same thing about my first sewing machine.

personaly I would get the gear. Gear is exspencive how often will you have te funds to buy a TQ/UQ and trap ?

Pack can be cheap or cheaper and easyer to save for.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    If I can get the wife to agree, my order will be in tonight!
    I think the UQ would be the better choice because right now we are doing overnighters at forests, so the UQ will service me best. I think this is where I am headed..

Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    You already have a hammock, are most likely profficient with it and know that you will need and most likely currently use a pad for warmth. If you don't mind using the pad skip buying the AHE Jarbridge 10 day and running out sale. If you don't like pads don't skip the AHE UQ sale. It is a fine piece of gear and you won't see the 80.00 buck sale price maybe for another year if ever. I'd think about buying the UQ because of the AHE pgibson's great current price for a great piece of gear he is discounting for his 2nd Year Anniversary Sale.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Good choice! Gotta post some pics once it comes in.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast