Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wannabe questions

I live on the edge of the rice paddies in Northern California and mosquitoes are a major preoccupation. Ideally my bicycle tours will take me away from the mozzies but I still want my backside covered and have been looking at the double layered models of Warbonnet and Hennessy.

In the Hennessy's, I believe the "Deep Jungles", starting at $260 are their least expensive double layers. The Blackbird double layer is $175 but you must add a tarp. Hennessy includes the 'double bubble' pad free, along with snakeskins. Both hammocks 'include' the means to hang the hammock. The Hennessy would seem to be the complete kit and my pick if I didn't already have a good, or at least expensive, tarp. (Looking at the different videos about hangin', I see that I'll probably want to re-rig the Hennessy so there would be some more cost there)

Both models mention putting your pad between the layers and that helps keep it from shifting under you though HH says their double bubble has straps to hold it in place. Do either have an actual pocket that you can slide your air mattress/pad into that would hold it on the diagonal or is it two layers of cloth joined at the edges?

I have gone from an insulated pad to an air mattress for stowage, but I gather an air mattress doesn't work that well in a hammock. Is it the lack of chambers to hold the air under the hanger? Do the two layers of fabric stop the mozzies or do you still need something between? When you use an under quilt with a double layer does it go between the layers or under both?

So many questions.
    Thank-you for your time.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I can't speak to your first question directly, as I don't own either double-layer.

However, as to the mosquitoes: I live in northern Florida, and the arthropod population here is impressive. Personally, I own an HH Explorer Ultralight (it's a single-layer) that I treat with permethrin. Sawyer's Permethrin lasts up to six weeks or six washings (at least, according to the bottle) and I've yet to have a problem with mosquitoes--or anything else--biting me through the bottom of the hammock. Note, though, if you have cats, you need to keep them away from your treated stuff until it is totally dry: the treatment is poisonous to cats when wet.

As to the air mattress, my understanding of it is that the air needs to not be moving around inside of whatever space you have it in (this prevents convective heat loss), and the surface of that needs to be non-conductive (to prevent conductive heat loss) and breathable (to prevent condensation and evaporative heat loss).

As to the underquilt, it goes on the outside of both layers. You need the dead air space to be as large as possible, so compressing it in between the layers defeats the purpose of the quilt (this is the reason that many good sleeping bags and topquilts don't have any insulation on the bottom).

I'm sure that some of our other members will be along shortly to explain in more detail than I, but I hope that helps some!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    I have a WBBB 1.1 Double layer. The layers are sewn together on the shelf side, but are open on the entry side except for about a 10" length near were the tie-out is. You can slide a pad in between the two layers easily and it will fit up into the footbox completely.

However, I put my Big Agnes inflatable pad in there and it sucked. Even without much air in it, the feel of the hammock was ruined. I never could get comfortable. Since then, no pad.

I'm going to have to get an UQ before winter.

As a hippy-dippy tree hugger from NorCal, the chemical solution is pretty far down my list of options. I'll slap the **** things so hard my head rings but I don't want to slap/slather chemicals around. If I can thwart them with a couple of layers of rip-stop, that's my first choice.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    my 1.0 dbl wbbb keeps the mosquitos at bay here in the s.carolina low country, i use an underquilt so they can't get through anyway, but if you have an inflatable pad then try infating it1/3 of the way, and it will be more comfortable and stay put better
    good luck

I've noticed that there aren't too many HF members shown on the Google map as being on the left coast. A kayaker in Santa Rosa (my old stompin' grounds) seems to be the total. I know we have trees in California...does no one have 50' slings to go around 'em?

Images
    I have single layer SB and double layer wbbb hammocks.
    Never had a mossie bite thru either of them and they are untreated.

I'd get a single layer hammock to save weight and maybe add a 2QZQ breathable underquilt protector
    for a second layer incase your mossie have more ambition than mine. Plus the 2QZQ breathable underquilt protector
    offers other advantages that a double layer doesn't.

hth

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cardo View Post
    As a hippy-dippy tree hugger from NorCal, the chemical solution is pretty far down my list of options. I'll slap the **** things so hard my head rings but I don't want to slap/slather chemicals around. If I can thwart them with a couple of layers of rip-stop, that's my first choice.
    Eh, all of the usual acronyms apply. I hope your search goes well, and that you enjoy your hammock!

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    whilst debating on which bug net attached hammock to sink my funds into, i got to thinking about a few things that may help you out with deciding.

first, a lot of people seem to swap out the henny's suspension, so theres added cost while the WBBB has 2 options available that are both good.

second, if i remember correctly the henny's tarp gets swapped out a good bit as well. why wast the extra bit of money and decide on a bigger/better separate tarp?

theres also a thread someplace by brandon of WB asking if anyone has had an issue with bites, i believe with any of the hammocks, not just the DL (i could be wrong, havent read it in a while) and the results were a good bit positive, and was a deciding factor for me.

last, snakeskins are nice, but for a beginner arent a must have. the stuff sack in most cases works just fine, albeit a touch longer than snakes skins. i use my WBBB sack as a bishop bag, leaving it attached to one end. easy to find in the AM and it just slides right out.

as far as the pads go, you can go buy a $1 windshield screen that most here use (reflectix type stuff. shinny bubble wrap.) and cut it to fit, and youll get NO but bites. sides, maybe. and like it was said, the layers are nice if youre going to be using things like pads. even if you made just a simple poncho UQ youd be saving you skin if you can make it come up high enough to cover shoulders and arms.

whew
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

The first item I bought for my gear was a tarp. I had no idea how I wanted to rig it until found this site. Hang one end of the Bishop bag from a tree, pull the other end of the ridge line out of bag and attach it, slide the tarp out along the ridge line on Prussic knots, peg out the sides and you have shelter. Beautiful and easy, beautiful because it's easy, simple enough to set up for a lunch break. Whether I go hammock or tent, my tarp is going to be rigged by itself. [Now I have to learn the metric system for ropes and lines.]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast