DIY
    Tarp
    zPacks CF Tarp
    Insulation
    DIYDown Underquilt
    Suspension
    Woopie sling

Polyester Webbing Suppliers

Does anyone know of a good supplier of polyester webbing? I’ve used strapworks.com, but am looking for something thinner and lighter in construction for my tree straps. Whoopieslings.com sells polyester tree huggers similar to what I’m looking for, but I prefer making my own gear. Maybe there is a military spec number associated with this webbing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Depends on the application and what you want to pay. For the weight and your description I would recommend milspec A-A-55301, in polyester. http://www.kwwebbing.com/MIL-SPEC%20WEBBING.htm

They are cheap, but you may have a wait.

From strapworks, an alternate to the nylon A-A-55301 or 17337, http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_s/60.htm A bunch of numbers, take your pick, lol. http://www.tapecraft.com/_product_46...l-spec_webbing

These are the webbings spec'd for PALS and MOLLE straps, and anything close should be fine. Oh by the way, welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by hippofeet; 08-09-2011 at 13:17.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    zPacks CF Tarp
    Insulation
    DIYDown Underquilt
    Suspension
    Woopie sling
    hippofeet,

Thank you, I'll take a look into kwwebbing; although, I'm concerned as the webbing you suggested was listed as "cordura" and "nylon" only and not polyester. I recognize that cordura is a brand and not a material, so is the cordura somehow polyester?

I’ve used the strapworks webbing you suggested and like the feel of it; but I am in the market for something thinner (~0.0015-0.003inches).

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    No, the cordura is nylon. Milspec webbing in the thicknesses you are looking at is usually a very specific and dense weave of nylon. So the milspec numbers get you nylon. If you look around on the above sites, you can find SIMILAR polyester webbing. If you are seriously interested in finding the milspec polyester for an application close to tree huggers, there is this page http://www.everyspec.com/specificati...rds-search.php

What you are talking about is seriously thin, and I will look around more, I don't use anything that thin, so I don't have numbers on hand. one thousandth of an inch? for real? or are you messin with hippo? Tell you what, I will mic a few actual milspec webbings I have on hand. I will get back to you.
    Last edited by hippofeet; 08-09-2011 at 14:51.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Many of the vendors here offer webbing for tree huggers.
    Arrowhead, DIYgear supply, amongst others..
    Arrowhead
    DIYGear supply

Avoid nylon strapping at all cost.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Ok. What I came up with on some gear, made in USA by a few different manufacturers is all right in the area of .040, allowing for a little crush with the micrometer. I will look at maybe some military aircraft cargo lashing web, but I promise it will be a lot thicker. I am not done with this. Like a dog with a bone. Gargoyle is right about nylon, and I am not saying to use it. But a big part of that is weave density, and length. I don't make anything that uses 10 feet of webbing under stress. It's all short (PALS grid is 1" x 1 1/2"). I am now hoping to find something in polyester, that is as thin as I can find. I may email some webbing manufacturers, and find out the thinnest possible for ANY application. Rather than the thickness, do you have a strength and/or elongation versus width (1", 3/4") and thickness (.0-whatever) requirement? This is fun for me, by the way. If you can be very specific, I can probably find it.
    Last edited by hippofeet; 08-09-2011 at 15:08.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Remember that webbing suspensions are not about the weight of the body but the stress of the hang. Don't make the mistake of saying "Well, I'm only 98 pounds so anything over 150 safe working load will be good enough." IMO you will want your tree huggers to be rated at least a strong as your whoopies. If you can manage a 30* degree off horizontal hang and you don't care about safety margins, really thin stuff might work. But IMO that's gram wise and pound foolish if your huggers break cause you hang too tight. The stresses on the straps can really pile up as you approach a horizontal hang. Once you get under 20* off horizontal you had better be figuring in some significant safety factors.

Some folks like old seatbelts from the junkyards. Those can be good for tree huggers but they are too wide for most hanging hardware. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    zPacks CF Tarp
    Insulation
    DIYDown Underquilt
    Suspension
    Woopie sling
    Hippofeet, I'm like you. Once given a problem I have to find a solution.

I've used nylon tree huggers before (all different thickness, widths and weaves) and have never been satisfied with the stretch. Only my polyester ones have truly served me well (made from this https://www.strapworks.com/product_p/pew58.htm).

If you want to help me with this problem, then here is a more specific case study. Let’s design a tree hugger that can take a beating from an inexperienced hammock user while not damaging the tree. We'll need something wide and strong but flexible enough that it molds around finer bark features rather than digging in. For ease of assembly, let’s keep the straps thin enough such that marlin hitch knots can easily be tied into them with toggles, or to shorten the straps as needed. Therefore, if we assume a 250lb user with a 15deg rope pitch (I know, tight) and a factor of safety of 3, we are looking at a webbing strength of closer to 1500lb. For flexibility and ease of knot tying, I would suggest keeping the thickness down to 0.003" or less with a width of 1". And of course, we need to minimize stretch which means, let’s avoid nylon.

Material: Polyester
    Thickness: 0.003"
    Width: 1"
    Strength: 1500lb
    %-Elong: <2%

Of course, I recogonize what I'm asking for is probably near impossible, so lets just see how close we can get.

Another interesting material I've use is this soft polypropylene used by arborists. It’s very forgiving on the tree, has minimal stretch, but unfortunately takes quite a beating itself and doesn't last long. http://www.strapworks.com/Heavyweigh...ne_p/htptt.htm

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    zPacks CF Tarp
    Insulation
    DIYDown Underquilt
    Suspension
    Woopie sling
    That may work... although expensive.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast