Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I use a dry sack pack liner, everything that needs to stay dry goes in that! Close it up and put rest of gear on top, close up pack and go!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    i use a big set of sleeves that i call the lazy slug tube. here's a link to the thread.
    How did you come up with that name? ... Oh, never mind
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Agreed. It took me a long time to learn that lesson, but I've been doing it that way for a while now. Works like a charm. I use a contractor bag to line my pack with, stuff it all in, add what needs to go on the outside and I'm ready to go.
    This has been my basic method since I first went into the Army. My sleeping bag goes into the bottom compartment of my backpack, in its own trash bag. Then I line my backpack with a garbage bag. Clothing goes in first (since its usually last out), my HHSS, and if it's cold my wubbie. Camp towel goes on top of that, then my first aid kit in it's own stuff sack. Trash bag gets closed, and then my hammock and tarp go on top of it, in that order. Food sack rides very top of the inside compartment. Mess kit, stove, and Sawyer water purification kit go in the top compartment, stakes and tie outs go in the side pockets along with snacks. Poncho rides with my daypack gear on my hip. Extra water bottles go on the side pockets. Compass and map ride inside my shirt or in my cargo pocket.

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    I have these waterproof stuff sack from Wally World that really does the trick and cheap, like $10 for a pack of 3. I use those for food, first aid/hygiene, miscellaneous crap. My hammock, tarp, and straps all pack into a big stuff sack I made for them. I bring a lightweight mesh ditty bag that something I bought came in to put the tarp should it be wet when I pack up. I'm looking to get/make some mesh tarp skins for it in the near future. I also pack a garbage bag and a few plastic grocery bags just in case.
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've done both, the stuff sacks and the big trash compactor bag. I keep going back and forth between them. The only downside to the compactor bag is that it keeps folding in on itself when I'm searching for something, arghhhh!

Keep in mind that your hammock suspension may be wet and the straps coated with sap, so you need a method to store that separately.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i use to just stuff mine in my pack as well... but i now use a BIG Silnylon stuff sack i made a while back it's half the size of my pack so it's alot like just stuffing them in but it give my down alittle more protection from rain and i put my cloths in the sack as well... it's nice cause they are not compressed so i can stuff gear around it
    i keep my hammock in it's own stuff sack ... i plan on making a Cuben blackbishop stuff sack for my WBBB... and my tarp is in it's own stuff sack as well it rides on the outside of my pack ... i might go back to using Mesh snake skins .. we will see

after the last outing and the rain we had i plan on changing my packing style just alittle
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post

after the last outing and the rain we had i plan on changing my packing style just alittle
    That's funny! I had the same thought. But you know it is like a leaky roof, once the rain stops I can't remember I was going to fix it till it rains again!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Similar to everybody else except I found a long thin stuff sack for a thermarest mattress that holds my Hammock and tarp. Stuff it in there and use the pad straps on my pack to hold it. I'm in the process of redoing my whole outfit but I think I will keep that idea. I do think I will rework towards a Bishop bag but still similar in shape.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Can't say that I do anything revolutionary. I carry a Gregory Z55. The inside looks like this from top down:

Top Pocket:
    Code:
    First Aid Kit
    Personal Hygiene Kit
    Head Lamp
    Gear Repair Kit
    Journal with Pencil
    Main Pocket:
    Code:
    s  R  Fleece pullover & Wind pants
    i  A  Food Bag
    d  I  Food Bag 
    e  N  Water Purification/Filter System
    z  G  Camp Towel
    i  E  Mess Kit/Kitchen
    p  A  Extra Clothes in Stuff Sack
       R  Hammock and Quilts in Roll top Dry Sack
    Side pocket (Right):
    Code:
    1L Water Bottle
    Trowel (Bagged)
    Side Pocket (Left):
    Code:
    Insulated Mug
    Large Snacks/Lunch
    Rear Mesh pocket:
    Code:
    Tarp with suspension in stuff sack
    Stake bag with extra rigging lines
    Outside rear Zippered Pocket:
    Code:
    Backup Flash light
    Defecation hits the Oscillation Kit
    Map & Compass ride in here if I'm not needing it constantly.
    Hip Belt Pockets:
    Code:
    Snacks
    Camera
    I've been known to strap a rolled up sit pad underneath as well from time to time.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    That's funny! I had the same thought. But you know it is like a leaky roof, once the rain stops I can't remember I was going to fix it till it rains again!
    Oh i know where my problem was LOL
    what i ran into is the stuff sack for the WBBB acted as a bridge and when the water ran down my Whoopie slings it ran into the WBBB stuff sack and into my WBBB ... so next time it rains like that i'm taking the stuff sack off...Problem solved.... i hope LOL but that storm was a once in a blue moon kinda storm... it desn't rain like that all the time if it did that would suck LOL
    the mesh snake skins just make life easy with a wet tarp i used snake skins for a few years and got away from them ... i think i'm going back to them
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast