Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    A good resource for shock cord is the set of tent poles in the tent we ditched when we converted to comfortable sleep. Even one at a garage sale or flea market will have more than enough shock cord to complete all your hanging projects.

Happy Trails to all...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I haven't seen this technique. I hope you all like it. The form can be changed but this one is about 12 in of shock cord attatched to a whoopie on both sides. The interesting part is the way they are connected like a stop loop on a whoopie. I removed some of the rubber from the ends and did the figure eight bury at both ends. much cleaner, smaller, and lighter than using a piece of slingshot cord. Just takes a lil' time. I've made two that have shock cord in the middle lash it on each end with a static loop. perfect for tie outs for my hammock so I can still get some swing.

'If I have seen further, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants'
    -Sir Isaac Newton-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

JRB STL Knockoff

I don't know if this is covered elsewhere, but it is easy as stink to make your own Jacks R Better STLs (Self-Tensioning Line).

1. I use 6 ft of Zing-It for my line which is available cheap from Dutchware.

2. Tie a small loop (i" di.) in one one end (I actually add some shrinktube over the loose ends to clean it up.

3. Tie a double knot about 1-2 inches below the knot.

4. Slide roughly 4-5 inches of surgical tube over the line and then milk 1-1.5" of it over the knot.

5. Use a small zapstrap to pinch and hold the tube just above the knot.

6. Milk the tube back over the knot.

7. Stretch the remaining 4-5" of tube down the line, tie a knot 1.5" above the end of where the tube stretches.

8. You can release the pull in the tube while you tie another double knot at your mark.

9. Restretch and then milk the tube over the lower knot. Repeat steps 4,5, and 6.

Your line should be done. For an added bonus take a 4 inch piece of line from you Zing-it and tie it into a loop. Use the loop and prussik it to your STL. This can then be used to adjust the line to meet your stake.

Note, this is simply how I copied JRB's design. I believe his uses a constrictor knot for under the tarp adjustment, but that would be way too much work for me.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hangandy,

What is the longevity of surgical tubing? I recall having it when I was younger and it got goey in parts and cracked. Do you know if there are different types of tubing?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Hangandy,

What is the longevity of surgical tubing? I recall having it when I was younger and it got goey in parts and cracked. Do you know if there are different types of tubing?
    Actually I'm not sure. I think it has been discussed here and that it wasn't a problem. I wonder if the latex is superior to the old rubber? What I do remember some questioning is effectiveness below freezing, but I don't think that was a big deal either. In a pinch, even if it failed, the zing-it will hold and you would just have to retie your guyline.

I've only used mine for a few months so I'll let you know if I have any problems.
    Please enter your signature here.

Images
    Good info. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yea, I recall reading someones posting about making them DIY and having them not work in freezing conditions. They found the JRB ones still worked though. Wonder what the difference was.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yea, I recall reading someones posting about making them DIY and having them not work in freezing conditions. They found the JRB ones still worked though. Wonder what the difference was.
    I think it was silicone vs latex. I made some from sling shot tube. Great...but when around 30º they would stretch out and stay long.
    now I do the guyline shock-cord method as in this thread.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & Poenix
    Suspension
    Web Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

To finish, stretch the shock cord loop toward the bow line end of the guy line. Once to have found the maximum stretch of the shock cord loop, tie it off to the guy line at this point. This will create a limiter that will keep the shock cord from breaking:

A set of 4 of these shock cord tensioners (about 5' long each) weighs about .9 oz.
    Sorry to resurrect this post but a Question....

When you double the shock cord wouldn't that create so much tension that it may cause your stakes to pull out or put too much stress on the tarp itself???

Thanks
    Jim

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Hangandy,

We should stop calling for surgical tubing, most of which is produced and discarded in vast quantities today to hook up respirators and IV lines. That stuff is clear, might be just 1/8" ID. It has no stretch properties.

Exercise bands or stretch bands or resistance bands are what we want. Except in some inexpensive form before the sports mfgs put a brand name on it and hire hard bodies to hawk it in infomercials. The stuff I have is green, a decade old, and mostly as pliable as when new. No hazing or cracks except at the tight knots. Long-lasting enough for me to be able to launch water balloons decades after I should have stopped.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast