WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles

Help with Sipsey first trip

While I'm waiting on the weather to break (probably a month+ away), I'm looking into my first trip to Sipsey. I know nothing of the area and would like to see some of the more scenic areas during my weekend hike. The schedule would be a half day drive up so less hiking on day one then anything goes for day two and the third day would be great if it were short hiking also. Two nights hanging.

I have the Briartech map for reference. I've noticed that I've read trip reports and the locations often aren't on this map so I may need to ask clarifying questions so I understand. Are the trails marked with sings at the intersecting trails?

Thanks to anyone who will help. I am looking forward to getting to know the area because it's the closest rural, quality trails to my location.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Ok, after several PMs and clarifications, Angrysparrow has set me up with a great weekend hike that fits the bill perfectly. It's good to have someone with his knowledge of these southern trails here on the forum.

Thanks Angrysparrow!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plaunius View Post
    Ok, after several PMs and clarifications, Angrysparrow has set me up with a great weekend hike that fits the bill perfectly. It's good to have someone with his knowledge of these southern trails here on the forum.

Thanks Angrysparrow!
    Yep, AS was the one to finally get me over there, I have 3 trips behind me now. I hope to add some more this fall and winter. But AS and Hetori and Skippy and Bankheadboy are sources of vast info on that area. It is nice to finally know of an area that is not so far away AND really nice! I bet you are really going to enjoy your trip. So where in Sipsey are you going to go?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Parking at Borden Bridge, since it will be mid afternoon, we will hike south along Borden creek to hit the trail running east of Sipsey and hang the first night at Falls Creek Falls. Then continue the next day along Sipsey Creek to the Big Tree and find a spot just past in the Bee Branch area. The next day, hit No Name to intersect with Bunyon Hill that leads me back to the car.

Now just waiting for a break in the temps to match up with my weekend off. (I work 6 days a week every other week)

When I do go, I will report back the level of current damage from the spring storms.

Hammock
    WL Snipe,DIY,WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG,OES CF
    Insulation
    Yeti,Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have hiked, bushwhacked and crawled all over the bankhead.
    some of the best places in Sipsey are IMO...(for when you go back cause you will cause its freakin beautiful!)
    Whiteoak hollow route to west bee branch, White Creek and Valentine Pond, Parker falls, Little ugly branch. Id say go visit the "bird" tree but the forest service cut it down and its now at the Warrior outpost store on display. Its a good idea your going to see the Big Tree as I'm not sure how much longer that big beauty will be standing. OH and get ready for that Bunyan Hill trail/old road..it's boring but is a great route to get back to the car at Borden.

If you need to car camp before hitting the forest or after - I highly recommend Brushy Lake Campground. They even have a shower in the picnic area. Corinth campground and Houston campground are also nice, but more RV'ish.

Oh almost forgot..Quillen creek area is another must see sometime as well.
    Last edited by hurtinfeet; 08-10-2011 at 07:34.

Images
    Parking at Borden Bridge, since it will be mid afternoon, we will hike south along Borden creek to hit the trail running east of Sipsey and hang the first night at Falls Creek Falls. Then continue the next day along Sipsey Creek to the Big Tree and find a spot just past in the Bee Branch area. The next day, hit No Name to intersect with Bunyon Hill that leads me back to the car.

Now just waiting for a break in the temps to match up with my weekend off. (I work 6 days a week every other week)

When I do go, I will report back the level of current damage from the spring storms.
    That is the perfect route to start with! It is the same route I took last fall on my 9 year old Grandson's first ever backpack, except we did a round trip with fall Creek as an overnight camp. We went down the west side of Borden to the junction with Sipsey, on to Fall Creek falls and camped near there. BTW, if you don't want to camp real near the river and trail, climb up the cliffs ( easy) to right above FC falls, and there is a nice flat area with plenty of great camp sites. Or just east of the falls - but at the bottom of the cliffs- is another tiny ( seasonal?) creek also with plenty of good sites and a "cliff shelter" or big overhanging cliff.

We returned on the other (east) side of Borden, going through the "fat mans squeeze", a tiny cave through the rocks you must squeeze through. There was such a drought at that time that we could cross Borden barely getting our feet wet!

Have fun, keep us posted!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    echo'ing everyone else.

i'd just give a fair bit of warning that some friends of mine that went in june said it was still in shambles; that several of the trails were impassable; especially without gps to keep you on the general marked trails. the tornadoes unfortunately did a number on that area.

anyway, good luck, and sipsey is one of my favorite areas in alabama, followed by cheaha/pinhoti, for backpacking.

just curious if you have done that trip yet? If so were there a lot of blow downs on the trail?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts