BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

car camping uq ????

Fall is coming fast and I dont have the money in my budget for a nice uq at the moment. I have a couple of ideas of my own but was wondering if anyone here had tried to temporarily rig some type of system with an old slepping bag or comforter for use as an uq for car camping or short distance hiking. I would like to purchase a uq from one of the cottage vendors hhere but my college bound son requires my extra cash at the moment (maybe santa will be good to me)
    If nothing else I'm going to use an extra sleeping bag with some of the clamp type tarp clips and maybe some cheap bungies and rope for suspension.
    This is all new to me and I haven't hung in cold weather yet but know I need to be prepaired from the reading I've done here.
    Thanks for any help.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    A good number of people have converted sleeping bags into UQs with varying degrees of success. A popular "cheap" option is a poncho liner, available at your friendly military surplus store. (Mine has even started carrying hammocks recently. ) For warmer weather a fleece blanket can be turned into a servicable UQ. In my mind, although I haven't tried it yet, something as simple as plastic sheeting could be hung loosely under the hammock as more of a wind stop than anything else, but could make about a 10*F difference.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    You want to talk to Sandpiper...she did a great job of modding sleeping bags for her and her sis.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Couldn't resist the 30* jarbridge on sale at AHE. My uq problems will be solved.............for now!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfu39 View Post
    Couldn't resist the 30* jarbridge on sale at AHE. My uq problems will be solved.............for now!
    exactly my thoughts
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You can take any mummy sleeping bag,,cut the zippers off,,leave the black nylon that the zipper was modded to cut the foot box in the center,,and hand sew it shut with nylon thread,,then I attached shock chord at center and on each side of foot box to hang at the end of the hammock,,on the head of the sleeping bag,,attached on each side of the black nylon where zipper used to be,,a piece of shock chord, at the middle one more,,have someone lay in hammock,,and hook with small s-biner all three to your ends of hammock and tighten to your liking..and you have a very warm UQ..I used a youth Eureka Grasshopper 30 degree bag,,for the wife,,its 6' long,,and she is 5'2" and complains how hot it is, but she is alittle hot natured,,I slept with it on other nite at 60 degrees out, just to test it,,and it burnt me up as well so I undid the center tie at each end to vent,,and it worked very well even venting. Its not heavy,,as far as a synthetic,,weighs 30 oz..but alittle bulky,,haven;t tried to compress it,but its doable as well. With the down quilts we use,,this will work for the wife until I figure out what she wants. total cost was about 50 bucks, and about 1.5 hrs to accomplish, Width at the shoulders and head was 48 inches,,and tapered down at the foot box, to about 36 inches. 6' long.

• + New Posts