Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from WA

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Hi from WA

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to hammocking...here's how I got into it.

-Surfing on the Kickstarter site two weeks ago. Saw the Kammok. Thought "that would be a fun thing to do in the backyard. And oooh, my birthday is in two weeks!"
    -Look on REI and see the ENO hammocks for cheaper.
    -Decide that's what I want for my birthday and I tell my husband.
    -We go to REI that Friday and I pick out my ENO DN, Slapstraps and two carabiners. Husband buys them.
    -My birthday isn't for two weeks, but I'm so excited, I start surfing more about hammocks.
    -Find Hammock Forums.
    -Find out that SlapStraps are not the way to go but whoopie slings are.
    -I'm a crafty person so I'm totally into making my own whoopie slings.
    -Order 50' of 7/64" blue Amsteel Blue from Redden Marine the following week. Then order tree straps from AHE a day later. Then order SMC descending rings a day later from whoopieslings.com.
    -Amsteel Blue arrives first. Start on my first splice...dang, my paper clip threading idea didn't work.
    -Told friend about Amsteel Blue and he puts an order in...I ask him to add 10' orange for me.
    -Go to Joanns during lunch the next day to buy yarn needles
    -Returned my SlapStraps
    -Come home from work and start my splice again...MUCH easier
    -Finish one whoopie sling
    -Finish second whoopie sling the next day and two soft shackles
    -As soon as descending rings came, made my continuous loops using the orange Amsteel Blue as well as two more soft shackles
    -Have enough Amsteel Blue left over so decide to make another whoopie sling to use as a ridgeline for the suspension sag

So in one week, I learned how to splice and make: three whoopie slings, 4 soft shackles, two continuous loops.

Now I'm still waiting until my birthday (on Sunday) to open my hammock and install the continuous loops onto my ENO DN and use my hammock in the backyard!

Splicing is addictive (I only have enough left to do one more soft shackle). I want more Amsteel Blue!!!

I can't say if I like hammocking yet b/c that unopened hammock is off limits to me until Sunday. My husband said on Sunday we're going to by bro-in-laws house for a bday bbq...but I said "that cuts into my hammock time! I wanted to relax in my new hammock all day!" At least the bbq isn't until 3pm LOL.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    How on earth you have managed to do all that without even opening the hammock is beyond me...

You have a lot more patience than anyone I know. Either that or your husband never leaves the house...

But think of all the fun you'll have when you open it.

Have fun and Welcome! I'll be thinking about you on Sunday!

HFG
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Awesome! Welcome to the forum from west Texas.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Off to a great start.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm brand new to hammocking...here's how I got into it.

-Surfing on the Kickstarter site two weeks ago. Saw the Kammok. Thought "that would be a fun thing to do in the backyard. And oooh, my birthday is in two weeks!"
    -Look on REI and see the ENO hammocks for cheaper.
    -Decide that's what I want for my birthday and I tell my husband.
    -We go to REI that Friday and I pick out my ENO DN, Slapstraps and two carabiners. Husband buys them.
    -My birthday isn't for two weeks, but I'm so excited, I start surfing more about hammocks.
    -Find Hammock Forums.
    -Find out that SlapStraps are not the way to go but whoopie slings are.
    -I'm a crafty person so I'm totally into making my own whoopie slings.
    -Order 50' of 7/64" blue Amsteel Blue from Redden Marine the following week. Then order tree straps from AHE a day later. Then order SMC descending rings a day later from whoopieslings.com.
    -Amsteel Blue arrives first. Start on my first splice...dang, my paper clip threading idea didn't work.
    -Told friend about Amsteel Blue and he puts an order in...I ask him to add 10' orange for me.
    -Go to Joanns during lunch the next day to buy yarn needles
    -Returned my SlapStraps
    -Come home from work and start my splice again...MUCH easier
    -Finish one whoopie sling
    -Finish second whoopie sling the next day and two soft shackles
    -As soon as descending rings came, made my continuous loops using the orange Amsteel Blue as well as two more soft shackles
    -Have enough Amsteel Blue left over so decide to make another whoopie sling to use as a ridgeline for the suspension sag

So in one week, I learned how to splice and make: three whoopie slings, 4 soft shackles, two continuous loops.

Now I'm still waiting until my birthday (on Sunday) to open my hammock and install the continuous loops onto my ENO DN and use my hammock in the backyard!

Splicing is addictive (I only have enough left to do one more soft shackle). I want more Amsteel Blue!!!

I can't say if I like hammocking yet b/c that unopened hammock is off limits to me until Sunday. My husband said on Sunday we're going to by bro-in-laws house for a bday bbq...but I said "that cuts into my hammock time! I wanted to relax in my new hammock all day!" At least the bbq isn't until 3pm LOL.

....you have literally packed almost a years worth of hammocking experiances into a week.......without a hammock.....WELCOME ABOARD FROM SOUTH FLORIDA!!!
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It has been hard. The hammock is in plain sight on a side table <15ft of me whenever I'm in the living or dining room. In fact, I'm only sitting 6ft from it now LOL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 &amp; Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 &amp; HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome; your going to fit right in here.
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Wow, that is some serious self restraint there. Of course to fill in the time while your waiting for sunday you could put together a hammock stand to use Sunday afternoon at the Grill (its only bbq if there is smoked meat involved ) party. Unless of course he has some decent trees in the yard that are already hanging suitable.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been reading the portable stand threads...but not ready to invest the $ for the materials until I've figured out if I like relaxing in the hammock yet!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Silnylon
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Hello Purpleorchid from Bellingham, WA.

Hope everything works out well for you on Sunday. If you have any questions, this is a great place to ask. Also, if you want to check out other's stuff, feel free to poke around. there are several of us from WA who like to share and show off. We have a couple of gatherings a year too to just hang and camp, so keep an eye out for those if interested.

~Mindwalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast