Hammock
    HH Expedition Ultralite Asym
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    WB3S Yeti, Big Ag.
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies / MSH
    The whoopies are alot less bulky, and when hanging are a bit more stealth than a big, black (any color) strap going all the way down to the hammock. There are of course more aesthetic aspects to choosing one or the other, matching colors, diameters of amsteel or webbing, which depending on your dedication to gramweenery might or might not entice you.

Go with what you've got, what you can find, I just found amsteel and enjoyed splicing. So I didn't try out any other suspensions other than the Hennessy-diagrammed knot from the side of the stuff sack 'til I found this forum and wowee

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just out of curiosity, how much weight can the whoopie's hold?
    For Sale:
    Grand Trunk Hammock Sleepig Bag - $150
    used once inside - PM for pictues

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedpaintball View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much weight can the whoopie's hold?
    whoopies would be stronger than the tree straps they're connected to. most any suspension would be limited to the strength of the webbing going around the tree, (generally speaking)

strength of the whoopies would vary depending on size of the line and possibly the length of the adjustable bury. i've pulled a 7/64 amsteel whoopie with a 6" adj bury to failure at around 1900#

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I like webbing straps and biners. I have switched from cinch buckles to descending rings. I had an incident last summer where one of my webbing straps tore at the cinch buckle and I hit the ground. It could have been previously damaged and it may have been cocked when I got in my hammock. I have observed there are some sharp edges on the buckles that can come in contact with the webbing if they got cocked. While I was exchanging the buckles for the rings and changing the webbing, I noticed the other strap was frayed as well. I can't help but think the buckles are responsible for the fraying.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Forgive the newbie here please, but I'm not sure I understand the issue. The way that Tom Hennessy does it seems perfectly adequate to me (unless it's too cold and you can't manipulate the cord for the lashings - and it would have to be darn cold I think). The added bonus is that, along with no hardware, there's a drip system built in so you don't get water down to the hammock.

What am I missing? If you need true cold performance then Whoopies sound like the way to go. Otherwise, what's wrong with the Hennessy method? If the stock cord is too heavy, you could even just replace it with Amsteel and continue to use the same method.

You could even use the leftover length after the lashing at each end to tie back to your tarp. That saves even more hardware (you can ditch the clips).

As I said, I'm a complete noob, so I'm probably missing something, but unless it's simply gear-envy, I'm not sure what it is! Well, maybe time savings, but it's not that much, and we're camping right? What's the rush?

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    adjustable webbing suspension and Dutch clips! It doesn't get any easier....

and its on sale...

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/2575054

Dan.
    ++++1

Yep if you don't care about the weight this is by far the easiest.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    This setup is what I use. Tree-Webbing-rings-carabiner-hammock. I can easily clip/unclip the carabiner to the rings and just leave it on the webbing. I'm a noob as well, I may try and use whoopies in the future but for now it's webbings and hardwares because they're fun and looks cool. I can see how amazed the ground dwellers on how fast I setup and take down my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    Forgive the newbie here please, but I'm not sure I understand the issue. The way that Tom Hennessy does it seems perfectly adequate to me (unless it's too cold and you can't manipulate the cord for the lashings - and it would have to be darn cold I think). The added bonus is that, along with no hardware, there's a drip system built in so you don't get water down to the hammock.

What am I missing? If you need true cold performance then Whoopies sound like the way to go. Otherwise, what's wrong with the Hennessy method? If the stock cord is too heavy, you could even just replace it with Amsteel and continue to use the same method.

You could even use the leftover length after the lashing at each end to tie back to your tarp. That saves even more hardware (you can ditch the clips).

As I said, I'm a complete noob, so I'm probably missing something, but unless it's simply gear-envy, I'm not sure what it is! Well, maybe time savings, but it's not that much, and we're camping right? What's the rush?
    I have used the Hennessy Expedition with rope and tree huggers. It works well and is strong. If you need to adjust the hang lengths of both ends a couple of times, to get it just right, the figure-8 rope knots do take a bit of time to re-do. Whoopies or webbing with buckles are faster for adjustments.

It all works. It's all good.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i ordered the complete suspension kit from jacks r better. gonna be a little too cold here to test it outside, since i don't have any winter gear. but i will try to find an indoor, warm place to test them out and see if i like them or not. thanks for all the advice.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Got the new setup the other day. Still haven't found a warm place to test it, nowhere to hang in my apartment.
    For Sale:
    Grand Trunk Hammock Sleepig Bag - $150
    used once inside - PM for pictues

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast