DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I use whoopie slings but i think some of the some of the buckles, carabiner and webbing ones would be the the most convenient just remember to loosen them up for the next time.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    If weight is not an issue, I'd go with permanently mounted steel girders.

Personally, I'm not a gram weenie so I use 1.5 inch polypro straps with a 1315 lb tensile strength.
    Similar to this:http://cgi.ebay.com/1-1-2-Inch-25-Ya...item35b42f8fc3

(I was using the "light" version rated at 800 lbs tensile strength prior to this )

Replaced original ENO ropes and heavy steel biner clip with a double continuous loop of 1/8" amsteel attached to a pair of SMC descender rings.
    The straps have a loop in one end to give me max length if needed, but usually I wrap the tree so that I have both straps to run through the descender rings.
    Works well for me .
    DKPerdue

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Rings and webbing; my mainstay after all this time.

Whoopies aren't remotely difficult to use and they will certainly save some weight, but there are parts to deal with; sling, toggle, hugger. I like my one piece rings and webbing setups the best. Unless I'm really on a gram shaving trip, in which case I'm a whoopie guy, I'm carrying rings and webbing.

Dutch Clips vs Biners is a whole other story. I switch between the two constantly. I think the biners are a bit quicker and simpler to use, but the Dutch Clips have the cool-factor that simply cannot be denied.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    1"x8' tree straps from Arrowhead
    DIY 1/8"x6' Amsteel Blue whoopie slings
    Camp Nano carabiners

Live where there are big trees, so the long straps. They can be rigged shorter or used to extend the reach of my rig if the trees are smaller.

I like the 1/8" Amsteel for the extra weight capacity and easier working. The weight and cost difference between 7/64" and 1/8" is small for the lengths used. I made my own and replace the stock ropes on my Hennessy and Grand Trunk Ultralight. Whoopies are so easy to use-- throw the strap around the tree and snap the carabiner on. Repeat and rinse on the other end and dial in the sag. Plug and snooze

The Camp carabiners are super light (0.82oz) and make a positive connection--- I'm not worried about them falling out. I leave them clipped to my whoopie slings so they don't get lost, and the loop can't slide inside itself.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have the WB Adjustable Webbing on all my hammocks (with 'biners) and like the simplicity very much. Now if it were going on my back Whoopies is the direction I would take. Well maybe webbing with one end looped (to thread the unlooped end through around the tree) and Elephant Trunks.

But the most simple (as already expressed) is Adjustable Webbing (or the Cannibal's set up) and 'biners.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    My vote is all of the above.

One thing you are missing with most of the suggested suspensions is the OPs original thought of the JRB all in one is it is easily detachable and deters water form running down the suspension well. That is good if it is wet, sappy or you want to put it on another hammock. I also like my onrope buckles also. Been thinking of a ti version.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Only suspension I include with my Bridges to friends and relatives and recommend: Whoopie slings, webbing tree huggers and the Marlin Spike. For my self I replace the webbing huggers and Marlin Spike with rope huggers and nacrabiners.

I've tried/used everything starting with the Hennessy wrap, then to all webbing with cam buckles, then rings and then all kinds of doodads for webbing, some bought, some from friends and relatives, then to rope using bowline knots, then a fancy truckers hitch with wrapped biners, then the garda hitch, then the zig zag cleat, then a rope cleat I forget the name of, then Figure 9s.

I'm pretty sure there are about 5 or 6 methods in there for webbing and rope that I have totally forgotten and a few that I refuse to mention .

I have finally ended up with plain whoopie slings, rope huggers and nacrabiners. Easiest, simplest, quickest, lightest and least bulky suspension of all I have tried.

Totally field replaceable, NO hardware. As long as I have the Bridge Hammock body and a 70' length of AS-78 rope, I can make a complete replacement for everything else: suspension, suspension triangles, ridge line, rope huggers, nacrabiners in about 1 hour and can then easily hang the hammock. If I manage to lose the Bridge Hammock body, I have a real problem - still working on that one.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like the general consensus is webbing with 'biners or Dutch clips.
    For Sale:
    Grand Trunk Hammock Sleepig Bag - $150
    used once inside - PM for pictues

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    Whoopies with tree straps and Dutch clips. It really dosent get easier than that.

I haven't pulled the toggles out of my tree straps yet so it's only a two step process to put the hammock up and it's blindingly fast.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    All in one system by http://www.whoopieslings.com/ One piece, no toggles, no spike hitch, never leave your strap on a tree again. Oh ya, it's light too!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast