WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Man Scout,
    From Dallas your looking at about 14 hrs to Denver. However you might want to think about the Pecos Wilderness in north central New Mexico, very similar to areas of CO (altitude, etc) and only about 10 hrs. It's a great place to backpack.
    And I was just kiddin' about TX, one of the things I do like about livin' here is you can backpack from Oct to May...well, I do in SW AR, and no snow to shovel. June thru Sept, better for hitting the mountains or heading up north.
    Good luck with things in Dallas, and come join us in a hang sometime.
    Last edited by clb; 08-12-2011 at 17:59.
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' daddy View Post
    Texas does have some mountains, though they're a good ways away from the DFW area, probably a good 10-hour drive to the Davis Mountains.
    Shouldn't take you more than eight.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    If you get that book, I do the "Pilot Knoll Trail" and it connects with the "Hickory Creek Trail" and then it runs into the "Old Alton Bridge (national historic bridge)", and connects with the "Elm Fork Trail". About 16 miles total. Oh....and then the "Pilot Knoll Trail" also becomes "Poindexter Trail" when you cross the parking lot and goes another 2 miles round trip along Lake Lewisville...... It's all Army Corps Land trails. Originally horse trails, but hikers are welcome and usually outnumber the horses. And only two of those trails are even listed in that book.

Also, If you drive out past Lewisville/Flower Mound/Highland Village Texas (northern suburbs of the Dallas area), you get into some nice acreage with lots of horses on it. About a 20 minute drive to the new "A Train" that will connect to DART. So from your house to the train, 20 minutes, then 30 to 45 on the train and you would be downtown Dallas.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Naw we had all the trees cut down along time ago...Dont worry, we all have oil wells in our back yards and you can hang a hammock on one side and tie yer horse on the other side. Surely ya'lls HR folks tode ya bout that.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Naw we had all the trees cut down along time ago...Dont worry, we all have oil wells in our back yards and you can hang a hammock on one side and tie yer horse on the other side. Surely ya'lls HR folks tode ya bout that.
    Please don't mention all the scorpions in the yards, the foot long lizards that are usually found in the living rooms, and especially don't mention all the rattle snakes that are, what, about 40 per acre? I just got out of bed and had to step over two. Glad I was sleeping with my 410 shot gun so I could killed them quick.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I use to live in Tyler, Tx. Nothing but rolling hills and trees. It was about 2 hours to Dallas. And being in the northern part of Texas, the humidity wasnt too bad. On the other hand, my sister lives in the Houston area. Might as well live underwater because of the humidity!

Best wishes: Lump

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    Used to live in Dallas. If you're looking for state park type camping, Joe Pool lake is SW of Dallas. Lake Texhoma isn't too far. Lake Whitney a little farther south. Someone mentioned the Piney Woods in East Texas. You will have to drive a little to get there. Remember Texas is a state not a neighborhood.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Please don't mention all the scorpions in the yards, the foot long lizards that are usually found in the living rooms, and especially don't mention all the rattle snakes that are, what, about 40 per acre? I just got out of bed and had to step over two. Glad I was sleeping with my 410 shot gun so I could killed them quick.
    One more thing. In TX we don't call 911.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    Randy - you do Texas proud! One of the few people I know that puts the apostrophe in the correct place in ya'll. Thank you.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    We live in Grand Prairie, which is in southwest Dallas county (the DFW metroplex encompasses about 8 counties). Right by us is Cedar Hill state park, which has plenty of trees to hang from, even if they aren't very tall. We've also hammock-camped in Fairfield (1.5 hours), Tyler (2.5 hours), Cleburne (45 minutes), Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose (1.25 hours), Meridian (1.75 hours), and many others that were a bit further out.

Best place to look for camping is the Texas Parks and Wildlife website - http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast