Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

There ARE places 'nearby'

East, you have the 'Piney Woods' region of Texas.

West , you have the lovely Texas 'Hill Country'

North, Oklahoma (Lots of great places in the OKC area).
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Howdy, and welcome to Texas.

As others have already said, there are plenty of camping opportunities in the area, especially if you don't mind driving. Everything's farther apart here.

The hiking experience in the DFW area is different from what you have in GA, in terms of weather, topography, flora, and fauna.

It's not unusual for folks from this area to travel to CO to get some good mountain hiking in. I'll be joining a group of guys heading that way over the Labor Day weekend.

Texas does have some mountains, though they're a good ways away from the DFW area, probably a good 10-hour drive to the Davis Mountains.
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    BTW, please let us know the area where your work is. I'm sure the Dallas area people here can assist in finding decent neighborhoods, schools and such.
    That is a golden offer and one not to miss! After you get advice from the locals find a local LEO and buy them a cupa to discuss the best hoods from there. Just from following threads here the HF Texans are a busy bunch of hangers. You are going to love this Republic...I am envious, love me some Texas.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    First of all, my condolences....tee hee, I'm a native Texan, so I can say that And hey, it could be worse! Seriously, we do have some great places, Hill Country, Big Bend... and from Dallas you're only about 4-5 hrs from SW Arkansas and the Ouachita Mts. There's also the Wichita Mts. in OK that are even closer. Welcome to the Lone Star State.
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Texas ain't so bad. For a penal colony.

Welcome to Baja Oklahoma.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL

Trees in Texas

Here are some photos of hanging in Texas. The pic of the hammock stand shows a HUGE oak tree in the background. That one tree shades my roof and yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Texas ain't so bad. For a penal colony.

Welcome to Baja Oklahoma.
    Yeah, but we let you out now and then for a visit to that foreign land north of the river

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl, ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ doors
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    BTW, please let us know the area where your work is. I'm sure the Dallas area people here can assist in finding decent neighborhoods, schools and such.
    My work will be smack in the middle of downtown Dallas. We are looking at getting a house with some land (my daughter would love to get a horse) but I also don't want a monstrous commute (I'm hoping to keep it under 45 mins more or less).

Quote Originally Posted by ol' daddy View Post
    It's not unusual for folks from this area to travel to CO to get some good mountain hiking in. I'll be joining a group of guys heading that way over the Labor Day weekend.
    I have been to the Denver and Colorado Springs area a couple of times and fell in love with the scenery. I'm hoping to do some hiking there once I'm closer. How long of a drive is it? Are there good deals on airfare to CO?

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Man Scout View Post
    My work will be smack in the middle of downtown Dallas. We are looking at getting a house with some land (my daughter would love to get a horse) but I also don't want a monstrous commute (I'm hoping to keep it under 45 mins more or less).

I have been to the Denver and Colorado Springs area a couple of times and fell in love with the scenery. I'm hoping to do some hiking there once I'm closer. How long of a drive is it? Are there good deals on airfare to CO?
    The northern counties are growing a LOT. South of Dallas there is land, but some bad areas. Northern counties will have DART, the Dallas Area Rapid Transit. You could get some land out there, you'd then have to drive into the farthest train station and catch that. They are talking of charging for parking. The "Area" means that some cities are part of DART and others are not. SO, you can get a very nice house in Plano Texas, and park for free. But getting acreage for a horse, is doubtful and would be very expensive property. I'd suggest you get on DART web site, look where they end to the north. You can look for land in Plano, McKinney. The other leg of the train, stops in Carrollton Texas, again, land would not work, but nice places to live. However, then my county, Denton, has connected a rail line all the way from Carrollton, up I35 (freeway) to Denton (city) texas. Around Denton is a LOT of land. Argyle Texas is east of Denton (on the way to McKinney) and they have LOTS of horse places. One option would be to pay to keep a horse boarded someplace and live someplace where you can catch the train. I'm thinking from Carrollton or Plano, to the downtown, on the train, is about 30 minutes. Your work might provide reduced fair on DART (I worked downtown for 14 years and my Gas company paid for half our DART pass, so it cost me $30 a month to ride the bus/train, anywhere)

You probably also want to AVOID Dallas county schools and politics.....It's pretty messed up.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast