Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Walmart Blue
    Insulation
    Thermarest Prolite

Expedition Asym for someone over/around 6 ft

Hello all,

New to the forum and just considering getting into hammock camping. I am looking to not spend a whole lot of money and was considering the Hennessy Asym or the ENO Double Nest. I really like the fact that with the Hennessy it is all in one package and ready to go camping out of the box. My biggest concern though is the height limitations on the Asym I am right around 6 ft and wonder if the Asym would work.

Anyone on here over 6 ft that is using the Asym comfortably?

Thanks
    HOPTOAD

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm about 6', and I bought an HH Expedition for my first hammock. I wasn't really that happy with it, I discovered it was a bit small for me. It felt really cramped. So I went out and bought the HH Explorer Deluxe (also Asym) and was much happier.
    But then I got tired of climbing in and out of the slit, and not being able to reach out for gear, etc. and so I switched to a homemade top-loader (like the ENO). I think the Double ENO would be VERY comfortable for you. Just fwiw.

BTW, Welcome!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

ENO is a good starter but read the forum about the suppension - avoid slap straps and get some good straps and use a ring, ring buckle, or cinch buckle

Quote Originally Posted by HOPTOAD View Post
    Hello all,

New to the forum and just considering getting into hammock camping. I am looking to not spend a whole lot of money and was considering the Hennessy Asym or the ENO Double Nest. I really like the fact that with the Hennessy it is all in one package and ready to go camping out of the box. My biggest concern though is the height limitations on the Asym I am right around 6 ft and wonder if the Asym would work.

Thanks
    HOPTOAD
    I'm 5'8" and the Expedition works great for me, if I were any taller I don't think I could lie comfortably on the diagonal. Many posters complain of knee hyperextension and I think it is because their hammock is too short for them.

I'm 6'5 and sleep like a baby in my HH Explorer Deluxe Asym. I think if I was another 2 inches taller though it would be tough. I do have to combat the knee hyperextension but thats easy enough with a stuff sack, rolled up clothes, or even my other leg. I tend to sleep with my right leg stretched out straight and my left shin folded under my right knee so my legs form a four ( 4 ). Its quite comfortable.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Asym
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPTOAD View Post
    6'+1", and plenty of room for me

I have the Expedition A-Sym. I'm 5'9" tall and I fit quite well along with all the other stuff I bring in the hammock with me. If I were 3 inches taller, I would opt for a larger hammock. I seem to fit perfectly on the diagonal, but I wouldn't if I was taller/longer. I would definately have a knee hyperextention problem.

NCPatrick - I'm curious about the complaint of not being able to reach out for gear. What gear do you need when in the HH at nite that you can't bring inside with you? I'm not picking on you specifically, I've seen this often as one of the primary arguments against a HH. I cook dinner before I get in the hammock so I don't have to reach out to work my stove. Everything else I could possibly need goes into the HH with me. Pad and bag, small stuff sack containing wallet, camera, first aid(basically just pills),pocket knife and other misc. junk that gets attached to the ridgeline loop at the head end. headlamp, tobacco, papers, lighter, ashtray(film cannister), and a couple unmentionables all go in the mesh pouch hanging from the ridgeline. I added my own zippered nylon pouch to the ridgeline that holds pen, journal, current section map and guidebook pages, book for pleasure reading, snacks and any trash I generate. I have a 20 oz. water bottle with a short lanyard that hooks onto the plastic hook Hennessy provides on the ridgeline. My radio clips to the ridge line above my head. My sleeping bags stuff sack gets tied to the ridgeline at the foot end empty or containing extra clothes if I think I will need them. And I still have plenty of space for other stuff. The only thing left in my pack are my hiking clothes, water bladder, and maps I'm not using. Everything else gets hung from a tree. I know a lot of top vs. bottom loading is all about personal preference. I just don't get the "not being able to reach out for gear" argument against the HH. What gear are you reaching for? I'm not trying to start a fight, just curious.

• + New Posts