Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    That's a lot of $ if you need more than 2 or 4 though. If the latex breaks easily then I'll try the thicker-walled latex, but methinks it'll be alright. We'll see how it holds up.
    Splat,

There is a Tarp Line and STL set that is two regular ridge cords and six STLs at a four dollar savings... less tha $9/pr plus 2 free TLs.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I dunno about y'all, but I firmly beleive that cheap is good. I added home made tarp tensioners to my SWT with Youngblood's directions only slightly modified using some bungee cord from my local outfitter for $0.20/ft, or about $2 total.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    If the latex breaks easily then I'll try the thicker-walled latex, but methinks it'll be alright. We'll see how it holds up.
    I made a set with latex tubing from the hardware store a while back. They worked well for sometime but they don't seem to be very UV resistant. Just keep an eye on them so that they don't fail you in the field. FWIW, I now use just plain ol' shock cord installed using Youngblood's method. Cheap, fast, and if need be, easily replacable during a thruhike. What more could you ask for? OK, maybe some pretty colors. Can't help you there.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You can get shock cord in different colors from Ebay. One seller has black, desert tan, USMC Coyote Brown, or OD Green in the 1/8" size I use. There is also red.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

You can eleviate the UV problem with any decent car wax or maybe even Scotchgard with UV protection. I made a lot of 10 latex-tubed tensioners with Paracord I had lying around for $10 and I still have enought latex tubing to do pro'lly 10-12 more. What I like about using the tubing over the shock-cord method is there's less to get tangled with the tubing. I'm a DIY'er/handyman/rogue extraordinaire so if there's a way to do it reliably, cheaply, and without too much trouble I'll find it. McMaster Carr is your friend.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    I found these latex tensioners that are marketed for salmon fishing, yet work well for tensioning your tarps, tent fly, or hammock body (on some models).
    For those of us that dont want to fuss with DIY, these are a relativley cheap alternative and can be purchased from Cabela's and Bass PRO Shops (possibly others). I have been using them for about a year without failure. Comes in 2 sizes also. Search sites for "dipsy diver snubber".

oooohhh, aahhhh, pretty colors

wow cool,how much they cost bro neo
    the matrix has you

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    until it drops below freezing then you may have some problems with regular latex. Even the theraband latex deforms below freezing but I have not had one break. The regular latex will break. Also make sure the wire ties are really tight because water will run down the line and act like a lubricant allowing the knot to pop out.
    I don't do much camping when it's below freezing. Regarding slippage, I add a second, bigger knot in front of the bowline for the loop. This bigger knot and how tight I can get the zip tie precludes it from popping out of the tube. I tested each one dry and then wet under the sink faucet and each are holding just fine. I will keep an eye out for the Theraband though.

Neo, I've seen those but @3.29/each when you need 10 that becomes cost prohibitive and I'd rather make my own.
    --
    Splat

Images
    www.apsltd.com has high quality shock cord and stretch cord in various sizes and colors.

Hammock
    DIY double-bottom
    Tarp
    Sportsman Guide
    Insulation
    Blue pad or fleece
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I saw something at WalMart that might work well for tarp tensioner. It was a small plastic jar that had 20 mini bungie cords, maybe 6-8" each, for like $3.50. They were in the automotive section with the ratchet straps and other bungie cords.
    I used these mini bungee cords as tensioners for 4 clotheslines on my pop-up camper, underneath the bunk ends (the tent-covered ends that stick out, for anyone who isn't familiar with them). I added them 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm still using the original ones, except one which broke when it caught on something inside the camper while deploying the bunk end. The only extra tension they get is when we hang up wet towels and bathing suits. Note, they are out of the sun 100% of the time, being under the bunk ends. That probably helps prolong their lifespan.

Images
    @ NCPatrick...Don't forget to take the hole punch along to create a "Sieve" in the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123