Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on the Kelty Noah

I'm new to the hammock camping. I want to pick up a tarp but not spend a bunch of money before I really understand what I want/need

I have an 11' hammock and am thinking about the 12' or 16' kelty. or I have a large orange tarp in the basement I'm sure.

Are there any other options in the $50-$75 range? I'm not concerned about weight just now, and leaning towards the larger as it will be useful when the family all go camping.

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Someone passed this to me today. I'll pass it along just as another source of possibilities. http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...hp/cPath/22_40
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I think the standard starter tarp list would be (folks posting after me can add any I forgot):

- WalMart or Home Depot poly tarp for less than $10. It's loud and doesn't pack too small, but it's cheap and it will certainly do the job.
    - Yukon Outfitters tarp (often available on the Woot site for $20).
    - Hennessy Hex (there is a $70 version, and a more expensive but lighter version).
    - Chinook 12' X 10' (on Amazon as low as $35 many days).

Lots of folks also mention the Gear Guide tarp, but I've never seen or used it. Usually, as soon as someone mentions it, SilvrSurfr will set you straight, though.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Argon
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I know this is out of your stated budget, but it would be worth the extra $20 to go up to $95 and get the Wilderness Logics Tadpole. I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago, and decided the Tadpole was something I could get to start with and not have to spend more to upgrade later by spending a little more now. Fantastic piece of gear and great customer service from Marty
    "Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory"
    - Ed Viesturs

CHerring

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    The Kelty Noah is a fine tarp for car camping. Not so much for back packing. It is bulky and heavy and will not be a welcome addition to you pack, IMHO. For the car camping set up, it is inexpensive, sturdy, and adaptable. You can rig it in a variety of configurations and, let's face it, the thing is a tank of a tarp! It is huge too. Especially for the money. Of course, this brings us back to it being to big for backpacking.
    Bottom line, it depends on what you want it for.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think the Kelty Noah 12' is a great tarp and actually well-suited to a certain kind of backpacking. I have a WB Mamajamba as well as the Noah 12. When I'm solo or when I think rain is very unlikely, I'd probably take the MJ as it is lightweight and tiny. If I'm with my family and rain is at all likely, I happily carry the Noah and don't even notice the difference in pack weight. And the pleasure of unfurling that beautiful, huge tarp and being dry and happy while cooking and sitting around is well worth a little extra weight in the pack.

FYI, I have my Noah 12 set up with a Dutchware continuous ridgeline (wasp and dutch hook), and it's in a Mountaingoat Snake Skin. I love that tarp and think it's a fantastic bargain. If you don't mind a tiny bit of extra weight (after all, there are a lot of ways to reduce total pack weight) and you're hiking with your family, I don't really think you can beat a Noah.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Great question. I have the Noah's 12 and used it for a while now. However, while planning for a trip recently I wanted something a little more manageable that would pitch better in an A frame while not breaking the bank ( oh and I wanted a long ridge line to cover my WL Nightowl. Decided on the Chinook 12x9.6 from Amazon.

Just returned from a four day trip to the BWCA and the Chinook performed very well. Held up in the wind and kept me dry. Not super light but I hauled it no problem. The stuff sack is even big enough to squeeze my hammock into...just posted some photos in this category....see my thread.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    Decided on the Chinook 12x9.6 from Amazon.

The stuff sack is even big enough to squeeze my hammock into.
    Yeah, it's weird how big and squishy that Chinook stuff sack is.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    i have a Noah I'd sell. PM if your interested in buying one. Honestly you should buy something else if your serious about getting into backpacking. Warbonnet tarp all day long for the nominal price difference.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.

John Muir

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    The Noah is often discounted on Amazon. Just purchased the Noah 16 for $75 for winter camping. The Noah 12 sounds great for your needs. It seems many folks start and end with that tarp. Only reason to get something lighter is if you actually need something lighter!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast