Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

"Structural Ridge line" why not "Sag-Defining"

Hello,

I got interested in the "ridge line" topic. I have read the BIG thread and the patent.

I don't understand why the term "structural ridge line" is being used to describe Mr. Hennessy's design/concept/patent. The patent refers to a "ridge cord" which sets/defines the "sag" of the hammock. It appears to me that he has patented the idea of using a ridge line to define sag. The structural nature of the ridge line appears to be of little or no consequence in terms of novelty. So, why is the term "structural" being used?

Also, it appears to me that the patent is quite specific in explaining the ridge cord. The patent clearly states that, ". . . the effective length of the [ridge] cord is shorter than the length of the sheet of material."

Why was JRB's ridge line a point of controversy. It was longer than the sheet of material.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    First, welcome to the forum.

Second, it's quite refreshing to have a new member spend the time to thoroughly read and understand the previous topics of the forum before posting. That eliminates many of the repetitive questions that are asked here. Thank you for taking time to do so.

As to your questions - The term structural ridgeline, I believe, was coined in the early parts of the long thread that you read. I do not recall seeing it elsewhere before that discourse. It is clear that the term is used to describe a ridgeline that is part of the 'structure' of the suspension itself, thus setting the sag. I agree that your term seems more descriptively on point, though.

I'm not sure that anyone but HH, JRB, and their legal counsel can speak directly to the controversy of their initial ridge line design. From what I've gleaned, the merit of those discussions have not been disclosed publicly. While it would be interesting to know further details, the delicacy of the matter makes me that isn't likely.

YMMV
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    This is one of those things that probibly never will be completely decided. My advice is just to go with it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    so the bmbh have no ridgeline anymore?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that JRB removed their ridge line on the BMB due to complaints from Tom Hennessy.

creekfisher,

Welcome to hammock forums, neighbor.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

As to your questions - The term structural ridgeline, I believe, was coined in the early parts of the long thread that you read. I do not recall seeing it elsewhere before that discourse. It is clear that the term is used to describe a ridgeline that is part of the 'structure' of the suspension itself, thus setting the sag. I agree that your term seems more descriptively on point, though.
    I don't know whether or not I coined the term structural ridgeline or not, but I have been using it for years. I have used the terms structural ridgeline and non-structural ridgeline to distinguish between hammocks that use a structural ridgeline to set the sag of the hammock like Hennessy Hammocks do versus hammocks that use a non-structural ridgeline that supports the bugnet but it is either adjusted manually or uses some type of shock cord so that it does not affect the sag angle of the occupied hammock.

How Hennessy interprets the the breath, application, or terminology of their patents is a separate issue. For me, the distinction of a structural ridgeline versus a non-structural ridgeline was important because some people were trying to hang a hammock with a non-structural ridgeline, or no ridgeline at all, like they saw other folks hang their hammocks that had a structural ridgeline-- initially taut. Usually that resulted in a hammock that was hung with too small of a sag angle and wasn't as comfortable as it should have been if it was hung with more sag.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Mr. Womble's post answered my questions.

I was hung-up on the term "structural ridgeline" since ridgelines in general seem to be inherently structural whether they are defining sag or holding up bug nets.
    Last edited by creekfisher; 03-27-2008 at 10:56.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creekfisher View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and insights.

I would like to learn more about the legal issues; this aspect of the topic is most interesting to me.

What are the definitions for:

(1) Ridgeline?

(2) Ridge cord?

AND

What is the difference, if any, between a "ridgeline" and a "structural ridgeline?"

Thanks - Craig
    Any particular reason for the interest in the legal issues and how the specific wording is interpreted... your questions sound like something someone trying to defend or challenge a patent might ask? Maybe you should clarify what your motives are and what you are trying to accomplish.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Just Jeff has a great intro to the different types of ridge lines:
    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creekfisher View Post
    I was hung-up on the term "structural ridgeline" since ridgelines in general seem to be inherently structural whether they are defining sag or holding up bug nets.
    For future readers of this thread, posted below is the best definition of structural vs non-structural that I've seen:

Structural Ridgeline - A ridge cord that exists between the ends of the hammock having an effective length less than the length of the hammock's main body fabric, whereby when the hammock is attached to a pair of trees a certain minimum sag is maintained in the fabric no matter how tightly the suspension is drawn.

Non-Structural Ridgeline - A ridgeline that does not conform to the above definition.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast