eno DN
    Tarp
    cheep eyebolt mod
    Insulation
    needed
    Suspension
    slapstraps

Learning from experience.

Hello everyone! I'm new to the hammock forums and fairly new to the hammock experience in general. I've had my eno DN for about six months now and I love it. I had no idea that something like this existed on the web and I have pretty much had to learn by trail and error.

I was wondering though. What are some of the things that any of you have had to learn "the hard way" about using hammocks or camping with hammocks?

I know that one thing I learned right out of the gate was that without proper insulation, you could be in for one cold night. It was the first time I had ever actually used a hammock over night. I was with a friend of mine and his brothers, and it was about the middle of November last year. We had planned to spend the night in the woods behind his Church and head off to a nearby lake the following morning. I was in sweatpants and a t-shirt because that day had been fairly warm for November and I was sure i wouldn't need more than a jacket to sleep in. My "friend" also assured me of this. lol

Wouldn't you know it? The temperature got down to 20*F and was the coldest night since February. It's funny now to think that I spent most of that night in my car, but I was not happy then.

Whether your stories be embarrassing or ironically funny, I am sure that myself and others could learn from them and avoid the same mistakes.

much love

dcs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am fairly new at this and had the same experience with cool weather. I was using a poncho liner for a UQ on my first night out. By Louisiana standards it got cold, mid 40's. I woke up shivering. Thank goodness I was near my truck. I was able to get a jacket and a blanket and make it through the remainder of the night. I now have a 3S UQ on order.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    welcome from upstate SC also. good to see another young SC member. I believe most of us have made the mistake of not enough insulation your first couple times out. I mean also once you start changing the things on the hammock like suspension and ridgeline then you start to realize how much adjusting you really do. I mean the more I read here the more I love it. so just jump on in man
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    my biggest mistake is buying everything i see when i have money in my hands!

if youre ever near charleston, let me know. you can test out a Black Bird if ya like, and maybe we can hang. literally!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

New Member DCSslightlytothaleft's Avatar
    Hammock
    eno DN
    Tarp
    cheep eyebolt mod
    Insulation
    needed
    Suspension
    slapstraps
    thanks guys! awesome to know more ppl in SC that like to hang.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum from west Texas.

My biggest learning experience to date is that this 'hobby' is pretty expensive. I thought I just needed to get a hammock and hit the wild. Had no idea that I needed to get a tq, uq, tarp and other items as well.

Second biggest learning experience (maybe the first, now) is the knowledge I gain from this forum every time I visit.

• + New Posts