Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First hang questions

Hey all. I'm going to be attending a little bbq and camping outing at a friends house (about 30 of us in his huge backyard) on Sunday. I figure this will be a great chance to get used to my new hammock.

The weather should be beautiful, mid 60's to low 70's for the evening lows.

I am wondering though how to fix a few issues. I don't have a bug net yet and there will be plenty of citranella and tiki torches around. I was also thinking if hanging a couple of those Off Clip-on mosquito repellents from each side of my suspension.

My other issue is a tarp. I have an 8x10 tent footprint with grommets in each corner. I can't seen to find anything on how to string this up as a makeshift rough tarp for use with the hammock.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

another newbie

(sorry - I have no suggestions for you but hope it's okay if I horn in here)

I’m so grateful to you all. Hard to believe I didn’t even know about hammock camping 6 wks ago. I’ve learned a lot from frequent visits to this fine site (was introduced to it through Whiteblaze- planning a 2012 AT trek). I’ve picked up plenty but there’s so much to take in... whoopie slings, slipping prussiks?!! really?

Would some Columbus HF member be willing to show off his or her setup sometime?

I’d really appreciate it.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm not overly experienced, but my first thought would be to use it on a diagonal across your hammock....so basically take off corners so that you're stringing the longest possible length on it between the same two trees you're hanging your hammock from. Then stake the other two corners out either to the ground or to something higher if you choose.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    you could definiely do it diagonal, but if it's 8x10 it should be plenty big to just put it up square with a rigdeline, then you will have 4 anchor points instead of 2, if you run some cordage from each corner to your stakes

just run a ridgeline from tree to tree and put the tarp over that and stake it out, should work fine, also doing it this way give you a better "porch mode" if you want

remember when you get in your hammock it's going to get lower, so i you want your tarp close to the hammock you need to take that in account when you put it up

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    Noodle, unless weather is going to be or might be an issue, you don't need the tarp. I spent last night in the backyard without a tarp, just my quilts and a bug net.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies
    I was thinking the same thing, Aven. Unless there's a chance of rain, tarp might not be necessary. However, since this is the first 'hang', Noodle might want to show off some tarp skills... and "Porch mode' ALWAYS looks cool. So ridgeline with tarp in Porch Mode gets my vote.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For your first issue: the bugs. You should be fine with all the citronella and stuff. I don't have a bug net either, and I've been fine with a lot less than that. Instead of buying clip-on stuff, I've heard that anti-static dryer sheets work just as well.

Second: the tarp. If you plan on switching diagonals at all during the night, then hang it square. If not, diagonal is fine. Either way, if the weather is going to be nice, tarps are always optional .
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    I can't argue with your thinking Darth Hanger.

Thanks for the tips all. I'll certainly try the dryer sheets too.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by rtramseyer View Post
    (sorry - I have no suggestions for you but hope it's okay if I horn in here)

I’m so grateful to you all. Hard to believe I didn’t even know about hammock camping 6 wks ago. I’ve learned a lot from frequent visits to this fine site (was introduced to it through Whiteblaze- planning a 2012 AT trek). I’ve picked up plenty but there’s so much to take in... whoopie slings, slipping prussiks?!! really?

Would some Columbus HF member be willing to show off his or her setup sometime?

I’d really appreciate it.
    There is an Ohio Hang next weekend if you want to stop in and see some of the set-ups. We'll be at camp C which isn't very far of a walk from the trail head. I'm not totally prepared either; but I'm going to see for myself how things are done and just going to jump into it. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37057

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast