Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Insulation
    Pad

Thermarest in my WBBB

Hi all,

Just got a WBBB 1.1 Double and was wondering if anyone uses a thermarest prolite between the layers? Does it provide good insulation if so? What would be some alternatives? I rarely camp anywhere where the nights get below 45ish degrees.

Thx!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    It provides just as good as insulation as if it were used on the ground. I would see no issue using it below freezing. I have on many occasions.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lundquistas View Post
    Hi all,

Just got a WBBB 1.1 Double and was wondering if anyone uses a thermarest prolite between the layers? Does it provide good insulation if so? What would be some alternatives? I rarely camp anywhere where the nights get below 45ish degrees.

Thx!
    The R value of a Prolite is 2.2. That alone would yield about 25 F degrees of insulation. So 45 F would be about the limit alone. A Prolite Plus has an R value of 3.8, so that would be good for another 20 degrees colder than a standard Prolite..

Using a pad in a hammock does not provide the same amount of insulation as when used on the ground. The camper, pad and ground will reach an equilibrium as the ground beneath you is not moving. In a hammock, an equilibrium is not found since air will continue to be replaced under the hammock.

Those figures do not take into account any insulation provided underneath by extra layers of clothing or the bottom of a sleeping bag.

Insulation
    Pad
    How would the thermarest compare to a CCF?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lundquistas View Post
    How would the thermarest compare to a CCF?
    It depends on the ccf. They come in all sorts of different thicknesses and R values.

Insulation
    Pad
    Gotcha...so if the prolite keeps me warm no reason to get a CCF? I assume I wouldn't inflate the prolite all the way? I just hear alot of talk about CCF pads so I thought there was maybe something magical about them. Guess it's probably that rey are a solid cheap option.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am new to the hammocking game but I bought a WBBB 1.1 DL & I happened to have a Therm-a-Rest Prolite Plus 3/4" Length Pad lying around. It is my current insulation.

I haven't used my setup in very cold weather yet, but with night temps around 65 it worked great.

I recently purchased a Big Agnes mummy style full length insulated air core pad for ground camping. I'm going to try that in the hammock some time soon too.

Sean

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I since used the Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus (small) down to about 45 and it was fine insulation... however it was a bit narrow and I found myself having could shoulders sometimes.

BTW, I really do NOT like the Big Agnes in the hammock... It is very hard to stay on (but I really like it on the ground).

Sean

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post
    I since used the Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus (small) down to about 45 and it was fine insulation... however it was a bit narrow and I found myself having could shoulders sometimes.

BTW, I really do NOT like the Big Agnes in the hammock... It is very hard to stay on (but I really like it on the ground).

Sean
    Hi Begleysm,

I had the exact same problem with the prolite, kept kind of falling off it as I move around alot when I sleep. Tried the z-lite pad, but got bad condensation (not sure if it is because it gets quite cold up here at night? ....sounds like pads work better down south). Ended up enventually getting an underquilt, solved things for me.

Cheers

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I think you will find that the prolite works 'OK', I have a prolite 4 that i used in the past and it was 'OK'. The flaw with it is that it is a somewhat narrow pad, and I found my shoulders to get cold, and it was easy roll partially off the pad because it's narrow.

Until I bought a underquilt I used a section of ccf pad to cover my shoulders and the prolite 4, think of a T. I also experimented with my wife's neoair which is size large and it worked amazingly well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast