What to do with 1.1 ripstop

Hey all. Long time troll, maybe the last year or so, but recently getting back into the idea again.

So, I recently went to the local Wally and wasnt expectin much, but the Lord was with me that day, and they had 20 yards of grey and this dark forrest green of Nylon, and a very small amount of a heavier one, all rip stop.

Bought the 20 yards, and then when I got home, upon further testing/suspect, I think it is 1.1, and not 1.9. Not really sure to test this, I guess I could weight it, ive got a small scale, what size should I weight and what should it be?

Also, what do I do with this stuff now, I can return it, but I have seen the Zhammock and that looks promising. I havent found what the strength of it, but I did read at one site that he was using 1.1 single layered to make one.

As this would be my first experience with sewing as well, any tips? Or, any other projects I could do with this stuff to learn until I do find some silnylon/1.9?

Thanks guys. Been trollin so long cause, well there really is that much stuff here to read, and its so comprehensive

Oh, might be helpful, I am quite small according to people. I think I am huge, ripplin muscules, just comparatively, I may be smaller....

I am about 5'8 and my race weight - Normal weight is about 130-150
    Last edited by Kesepton; 03-27-2008 at 10:43. Reason: Adding Stats

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A dual layer hammock like the zHammock would be a good candidate for something to make. I have a 1.1oz single layer hammock that is fine for my 5'10", 165lbs, but I would feel safer in a dual layer hammock with such light fabric. 1.1 oz is also good for things like hammock socks.

Sewing a hammock is pretty easy. It's all straight lines. You can practice by making a couple of stuff sacks or some snake skins.

Welcome to the forum.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I just made my third hammock last night. I slightly modified how to connect the two layers, though. All three are made from 1.1 oz Wally World fabric. I decided to go with a dual layer for both my fiance (~130 lbs) and myself (~195 lbs). The double layer gave me confidence that I would put too much weight in the hammock and cause them to fail on down the road. Also, the dual layer allows us to user our currently owned pads a bit easier. We just slide them in between the layers and our quilts hold them open/in place.

I did start out with simple stuff sacks. These allowed me to get a feel for how to:
    a) use the sewing machine
    b) figure out how to sew the nylon (read that it was slippery, but found it didn't cause me any difficulty)

Dang... Was hoping youd all tell me I could do it with just a single layer and id be fine. I guess I knew the answer, just didnt like it, heh.

Yeah, guess I am just gonna work on a stuff sack or two. Could always use em, and maybe some other stuff. I may just wait for 1.9 instead of doin a double layer.

Maybe ill even try a tarp.... I know I know, but do my campin in Cali, so no worry about rain really.

Thanks for the welcome, must say, Dont really need to say/ask much here, the search function has given me more than enough stuff to read

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I love my double layer hammock. To find out if it is 1.1 or not.
    Length x width / 1296 = square yards
    Weight / sq yards weight of fabric

FYI 28 grams to an ounce
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Still havent gotten a chance to weight it, but will work on that.

But was wondering on question of durability, namely those who have made packs. Looking at commercial 'UL" packs, they are made of 240d and 400d nylon. Isnt this nylon just 40d? Is it durable enough, or, as usual, are the manufacturers overkillin it.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images

• + New Posts