Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I have 2 bottom entry will be getting the mod 4 done to both but leaving the bottom entry intact the best of both worlds!!!!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB , DIY double
    Tarp
    Catcut /doors, OE
    Insulation
    Tewa 3/4, WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle&web
    The first HH I got from MEC, found it too short, bottom entry a bit quirky. Got another HH ex, then had ZQ #2. I found the top access easier for under quilt and top synthetic sleeping bag adjustment after climbing in. Now mainly use WB, Te/wa 2/3 3X UQ, yet to upgrade to top quilt. All recent hammock items pack up very small and provide enough warmth for all coastal seasons.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I love the bottom entry. I've got a bad back...and so just sitting in, rolling back, and letting my weight close up the entrance.

But there's nothing wrong with the bottom entry in my opinion. I like it.
    Me too..... In fact the bottom entry is the only kind of hammock I can get out of with my mobility issues. The zip mods are an excellent addition but I haven't had them done... yet. Still thinking about it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Bottom entry is really nice when the mosquitos are thick. Far fewer get in. You can get the hammock modded with a side zipper then you'll have both.
    Check this site out.
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/zipmods.html

If you get a good quality UQ you really don't have to mess with it much after installing.
    when i had a HH i had 2qzq put a mod 2 on mine. really great people to work with and it was a pretty painless activity.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Images
    The only valid question is: how do YOU like the bottom entry?

Here is what I don't like about the standard HH bottom entry: can't reach out of the hammock to adjust certain UQs, or check insulation that has been added to the HHSS to see if it is positioned where I want it , or just reach something onthe ground, etc.

On the other hand, some forms of insulation, like the HH SuperShelter or JRB MW4, once positioned correctly with first installation and with the HH side tie outs through the corresponding loops, will not require any further adjustment.

What else do I dislike about it? Well, really, nothing. Oh wait, can not ( without a zipper mod) use certain types of quilts with it. Without an SPE or double layer, a pad ( if you use one) is a lot trickier to use. That is about it. Some of its advantages ( there are nearly always pros and cons with all of this hammock stuff) have already been listed. It is all I used for my 1st 2 years even after I got a top entry model. I got to where, even with a SS on it, I could be in or out of that sucker just as fast as anything else, if not faster because there was no zipper to get closed. It just could not have been easier, though I did have to get used to it.

So if you don't have a problem with it, don't worry about it and, in fact, enjoy some of its benefits. Like the lightest approach with a net, some claim fewer bugs get in with you, etc. But any of the drawbacks are solved with a zipper mod and then you have both.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    If you were to use a short torso pad, extended (SPE) to wrap your shoulders and hips, coupled with a top quilt or a sleeping bag used top quilt style, then you won't have any of those reported "problems" using insulation with a bottom entry hammock.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    i personaly love the bottom entry but like they have said you cant reach out and adjust things. but thats what the 2qzq mod is for also its very easy in a pinch to handle natures call in the morning.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    The only valid question is: how do YOU like the bottom entry?

Here is what I don't like about the standard HH bottom entry: can't reach out of the hammock to adjust certain UQs, or check insulation that has been added to the HHSS to see if it is positioned where I want it , or just reach something onthe ground, etc.

On the other hand, some forms of insulation, like the HH SuperShelter or JRB MW4, once positioned correctly with first installation and with the HH side tie outs through the corresponding loops, will not require any further adjustment.

What else do I dislike about it? Well, really, nothing. Oh wait, can not ( without a zipper mod) use certain types of quilts with it. Without an SPE or double layer, a pad ( if you use one) is a lot trickier to use. That is about it. Some of its advantages ( there are nearly always pros and cons with all of this hammock stuff) have already been listed. It is all I used for my 1st 2 years even after I got a top entry model. I got to where, even with a SS on it, I could be in or out of that sucker just as fast as anything else, if not faster because there was no zipper to get closed. It just could not have been easier, though I did have to get used to it.

So if you don't have a problem with it, don't worry about it and, in fact, enjoy some of its benefits. Like the lightest approach with a net, some claim fewer bugs get in with you, etc. But any of the drawbacks are solved with a zipper mod and then you have both.
    So far I like to but I can't really sat yet because I have not spent the night in it yet.

I have an older HH expedition asym and had the 3/4 zip mod by 2qzq (nothing but great things to say about them.) I also kept the bottom entry open but am considering sewing it shut because I never use it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your hammock but if the bottom entry isn't to your liking the zipper mods are affordable.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    The only thing I REALLY dislike about the bottom entry is that the velcro is too strong. It attaches far too easily to clothing and even the bug net if it somehow gets involved in that area.

I've tried to "weaken" it some buy clogging the hooks a bit, but it still seems to reach out and grab my fleece and moisture wicking hiking shirts.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast