WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I have a HH Exped with bottom entry. This year I bought a WBBB, which is a side zip. Honestly, I still haven't decided which I like better. I like the zip because I can tie back the netting if I want to use it as a lounger. OTH, I find searching for the zipper pulls to get out a pain in the neck. Getting in and out of the HH is a no brainer for me. I have not attempted to use my UQ with my HH yet so I can't comment on that aspect.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    I have a HH Exped with bottom entry. I have not attempted to use my UQ with my HH yet so I can't comment on that aspect.
    This has been the sticking point for me. With a much more difficult time of adjusting the UQ, I am heavily considering the zip mod.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Stock
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle/Strap
    I had an Explorer UL with a 2QZQ mod and did like it but I personally prefer the bottom entry. My current setup is still completely stock and I think I may leave it that way, if anything I will change out the suspension.

I am really liking the bottom entry these days, for me the ease of entry is fantastic and I have to agree with everyone else about keeping the bugs out as well. I do admit that adding a small zipper just to be able to reach out the side would be nice though. However, I have no intention of modding this one, I simply enjoy the simplicity of the bottom entry.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    I picked up a used expedition bottom entry from a fellow forum member that he had added whoopies to. I got it to try out the whoopies and have found I really like the bottom entry for just lounging around the yard here while the evil skeeters are still about. I even rolled out a pad and a wool blanket in it the other night without much trouble and had a nice nap down to about 45 (that is when the wife said come in now and eat or else or I may have never made it in that night.)

I am having trouble understanding why I would not want the bottom entry. Especially when 2QZQ can add zips for those times it would get colder and additional bottom insulation is needed. I really like this hammock. I see problems or at least challenges for a bottom entry only but wow there are some huge pluses not the least of which is how simple entry is for those who are unsure of themselves going in over the edge.

On a side note, I purchased this hammock as a back up for my son and I and for the just in case my dad every wants to join us. Problem is my wife is not intimidated with getting in this one and has now claimed it as hers. I guess that is a problem and a possible solution. (solution for when I need to buy a new UQ I can just buy her one too and say "isn't it great we can use them together.")

Huauqui
    Last edited by huauqui; 09-26-2011 at 07:15. Reason: me no speaky good engrish

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    I purchassed my first hammock and figured I would prefer the bottom entry but all I see here are side zip owners.
    I know that the side zip is better for use with insulation but I did not know that when I purchassed it, I feel like I made a mistake.
    You didn't. Us happy folks don't say much. It's the few folks who are not happy that do the most posting with all the things they change or want changed.

That said I like the looks of the 2QZQ mod1 for breakfast in the hammock. Problem is I am not sure I want food that close to my bed. ;-)

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    Well I do think I would prefer to have both options
    I got he Deep Jungle XL Zip, and I wish now I had the bottom entry so I could have the zip mod too.

I wish I could just easily hang my footwear from the suspension, sit back and be good. or even hang it from the ridgeline, right out the bottom opening.

I like using at as a seat, I like opening it right up, I like making tea or hot chocolate from bed, so I need the side opening, but I too wish I had learned more about my options.
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

How true: Happy folks don't complain!

I started out with a HH, and now have both a CJH and a WBBB as well.

It is nice to zip open the netting when it is not needed. But the bottom entry on the HH is so quick and fool-proof that it is the choice for buggy season IMO. One of these days I will invest in a zip mod for the HH and have the best of both worlds!

Jim

I have both and use the bottom entry more often than the zipper.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm almost certainly going to be sending off for a 2QZQ mod this winter, but plan on leaving the bottom entry in place as well. I can see advantages to either.

During the summer, I think the bottom entry will be easier to get in/out and limit the mosquitos getting in.

During storms when I will probably have my tarp pitched tighter to the hammock, I can see the bottom entry working better as well.

When the weather is nice...I can see the benefits of having a side entry and being able to get in and out as well as pass items in and out easily.

Best of both worlds is what I'm thinking.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have the expedition and really like the bottom entry. It is, as many have said, quick and easy and here in NH any way to keep them pesky mosquitos out is a major plus! If you get the bottom entry Hennessey you can then add on zippers and get it all! (I do plan on doing this eventually just because I can).

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast