Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newmike View Post
    No one has mentioned putting a bottom entry mod on there side zip!
    Actually....we did have someone ask us to install a bottom entry to their side zip! Not something we offer.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Actually....we did have someone ask us to install a bottom entry to their side zip! Not something we offer.
    LOL! I was gonna start a new thread, but guess might as well just comment here. I have not used a bottom entry since I stupidly cut the net off my HHULExpl instead of getting a zip mod like I should have.

But I recently picked up a Demo of the same at the HH odds and ends. It has reminded me of two things: the BE stinks on ice to use with a Vario hammock stand 2: other than that, I actually like the BE bout as well as any other. It's only major flaw is not being able to reach out to adjust or check on the UQ or HHSS. And to get something outside, theoretically anyway. In practice, between the storage net and sacks hung from the mitten hooks and loops in the RL, I always had anything I needed inside with me anyway. So the main thing is the quilt adjustments, but even that is not really needed with the HHSS that I used with it.

I hung this in the back yard, pics in another thread,
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41183 with the stock tarp in storm mode, on the RL, very close to the hammock. The next morning there was tremendous condensation on the underside of the tarp and even on the net, even with no one in the hammock, FWIW. The bottom entry made it possible for me to get in without also taking a shower. The water droplets were all over the net also.

I can get in and out of that thing as fast as any other, maybe faster, even with the HHSS on it. But I had a lot of practice the first 2 years when that is mostly all I used. I actually quite like the classic HH entry. I would prefer to be able to reach out, or even get rid of the net on some bug free nights, which could be accomplished with the smallest zip mod. As for sitting/lounging, truth be told, most trips I don't lay down in my hammock except to go to sleep, and I am able to use the HH as a chair or for short daytime lounging using the technique most of us know about. But most sitting is around the campfire with friends, using a sit pad. So having the ultimate hammock chair/lounger was also not all that important to me.

So, I actually like a BE at least as well as any thing else. It is probably the most bombproof in bug season, the lightest net approach, will never jam or break ( a low likelihood problem), very fast in and out when you are used to it. I can have everything I need in the hammock with me. But it would be nice to be able to reach out for quilt adjustments, but that is not as important as I used to think. I guess depending on what quilt you are trying to use.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    i wont ever be getting a zip only hammock due to the fact that on six month jungle expeds, things break.... zips regularly break and if it did then id be screwed....

in the jungle, barely any insects get in through the bottom entry as they follow your torchlight and struggle when you duck down and stand up quickly. a lot of my colleagues use separate mosquito nets and complain about getting bitten.

ill be sticking with my bottom entry for a fair old while yet!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The main reason I want to add a zipper mod is to load and unload the hammock and organizer. For people in and out I think the bottom slit is much easier.

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the HH Side Zip but wish I had both options. I knew enough ppl didn't like the side zip to make ordering the bottom entry a small risk for me feeling the same so I went with the side zip so I wouldn't have to get it modded lately. That being said, I still want to try the bottom entry, it sounds fun, the no bugs aspect can be a benefit as where I camp it gets a bit crazy for bugs.

Hammock
    HH-Expadition
    Tarp
    HH-Stock
    Insulation
    HH-Underquilt
    Suspension
    HH-Stock
    I truly enjoy the bottom entry. I do think eventually I will get a zipper mod for a few the best of both worlds. The bottom entry allows me to get in and out easier with my back issues.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    The bottom entry seems easy to me, and my husband likes it because he has bad knees and back issues now and then. It is much easier for him. When I first got the Safari for him, he got in and didn't want to get out. LOL... I think I will have a hard time ever getting him back into a side entry hammock. I have a HHDJ on the way and will try the side zip and see how I like it. I know, another hammock to add to the collection. The grandkids will be so happy this Christmas. Hammocks for all.
    "No whining in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    The only thing I REALLY dislike about the bottom entry is that the velcro is too strong. It attaches far too easily to clothing and even the bug net if it somehow gets involved in that area.

I've tried to "weaken" it some buy clogging the hooks a bit, but it still seems to reach out and grab my fleece and moisture wicking hiking shirts.
    Scott-

Try grabbing the Velcro at the opening and rolling that edge under and away from you as you enter and exit. It helps avoid some of the snag tendency.

I haven't tried it, but you might be able to dull the hook side by sanding it a bit. Try rubbing an emory board of fine sandpaper across a spare piece of Velcro and see if it seems to help, first.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Haven't experienced the velcro catching my clothes yet. It does sound like it would be frustrating. Please let us know how you solve the problem in case we experience the same issues.

I like the bottom entry. I don't see what the big deal is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast