Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

does any one use whoopie slings on tarp suspensions?

does any one use whoopie slings on tarp suspensions? what about guy lines? If so, do you still use amsteel? what size? Thanks for the info!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    They would not be very effective. The tarp needs to be pulled tight. A whoopie sling will hold at the length you set, but you can not really use it to apply tension to the line.

They work well on hammocks because the tension is added when you enter it after the whoopie length is set.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I use shock corded whoopies on my tarp guy lines. They are the small amsteel stuff so I could splice ends in and make them without knots. (except the shock cord has a double fishermans to make a loop). They work great and are easy to make too.

I'm not sure how well the whoopies would work as a ridgeline as they don't stretch, you might not be able to loosen them up once sinched up.

Make your fixed loop end on the amsteel with a locked brummel. Then make your shock cord loop inside the fixed loop. The other end of the shock cord is captured on the amsteel by just passing the amsteel through itself over the shock cord. Then make your bury for the adjustable end of the whoopie. No fancy knots or zipties etc, just simple and they work great.

Images
    i use whoopies made of zing-it for tarp pull outs.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 08-13-2011 at 23:30.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Whoopies made out of braided mason's twine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    So how are you applying the tension to the line and tarp? Are you simply pulling it taut when you you drive your stake?
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Whoopies would have more use on the side guys than the ridge line I think. You need all the adaptability you can get for working with varied distances and tree sizes for the ridge line. With whoopies on suspension lines, you have the tree straps taking care of some of the variables.

As to the whoopies locking up, tarp lines aren't that taut. Even at that, once one line is free, the rest are unloaded.

So my answer is sure, why not and it is a fun exercise. I use taut line hitches myself. You end up tying guys all over the place, so I want maximum adaptability.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    So how are you applying the tension to the line and tarp? Are you simply pulling it taut when you you drive your stake?
    YEP, after u drive stake.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    muletape huggers w/ aluminum toogles, and shock cords to be added. Still waiting for a good weather report before mixing sil to coat new tarp.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    When I first got my Spinn BMJ, I made a complete set of 8 whoopie sling guy lines out of 2.2 zing it - 4 corners and 4 panel pulls. I attached them to the tarp by the fixed loop using a larks head. I didn't like the application of whoopies that way and went a different route. Luckily I was able to re-use almost all of that zing it setting up my current guy line system.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast