HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks

AT Port Cinton to Eckville

I just want to say thanks to Atreus for hanging in there with me. In spite of a questionable forecast we decided to start our hike. With the forecast calling for so much rain on Sunday we decided to do a leap frog type of shuttle getting both our cars to Eckville shelter by evening. We would make the decision to press on to 309 based on the weather forecast for Sunday the following morning. We set up the shuttle and made it to the trail head in PC by 9:15 and started our climb out of the gap. Things went well through early morning but, the further we pressed on, the more the clouds moved in. We made it up to Pulpit Rock with only a stray shower on the final climb up. The view was beautiful and it was cool to see two copperheads curled up in the rocks. We had about ten minutes to enjoy the view and then the rain started to move in earnest. As we covered the next section of trail over to the pinnacle, a small thunderstorm moved through with enough rain to make all the rocks super slippery—slowing us down (which is to be expected). We did catch a break at the pinnacle, arriving around 3pm. The rain had stopped and the views were beautiful, even though it was cloudy. We had about 15 minutes to enjoy the views, and then my wife called and said that there was lots of rain with storms on the way and it was supposed to get there at 5pm. In light of this news, we decided to pack up and head down off the mountain. The rain started at 4:30 as we made our way down to Hawk Mountain road. The descent was easy as it was an old logging road and not rocky at all by comparison to the trail we had hiked during the day. We walked for a good hour in pouring down rain. When the storms started, we spaced ourselves at least 50 feet apart and at times, because of the heavy rain, I had a hard time seeing Atreus in front of me. With all the rain and the forecast for more rain we decided to cut our trip short and just head home. (Live to hang another day—dry.) Thanks again to Atreus for sloshing it out with me…
    Peace,
    Gris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gris; 08-14-2011 at 10:56. Reason: Typo

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3 Season
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing

Soggy smiles

Despite the rain and soggy shoes, a good time was had by all. Thanks for having this cripple along.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I just want to say thanks to Atreus for hanging in there with me. In spite of a questionable forecast we decided to start our hike. With the forecast calling for so much rain on Sunday we decided to do a leap frog type of shuttle getting both our cars to Eckville shelter by evening. We would make the decision to press on to 309 based on the weather forecast for Sunday the following morning. We set up the shuttle and made it to the trail head in PC by 9:15 and started our climb out of the gap. Things went well through early morning but, the further we pressed on, the more the clouds moved in. We made it up to Pulpit Rock with only a stray shower on the final climb up. The view was beautiful and it was cool to see two copperheads curled up in the rocks. We had about ten minutes to enjoy the view and then the rain started to move in earnest. As we covered the next section of trail over to the pinnacle, a small thunderstorm moved through with enough rain to make all the rocks super slippery—slowing us down (which is to be expected). We did catch a break at the pinnacle, arriving around 3pm. The rain had stopped and the views were beautiful, even though it was cloudy. We had about 15 minutes to enjoy the views, and then my wife called and said that there was lots of rain with storms on the way and it was supposed to get there at 5pm. In light of this news, we decided to pack up and head down off the mountain. The rain started at 4:30 as we made our way down to Hawk Mountain road. The descent was easy as it was an old logging road and not rocky at all by comparison to the trail we had hiked during the day. We walked for a good hour in pouring down rain. When the storms started, we spaced ourselves at least 50 feet apart and at times, because of the heavy rain, I had a hard time seeing Atreus in front of me. With all the rain and the forecast for more rain we decided to cut our trip short and just head home. (Live to hang another day—dry.) Thanks again to Atreus for sloshing it out with me…
    Peace,
    Gris
    I see you found "Fred" coiled in the rocks. There are several locals living in the rocks there that make for interesting reactions by the weekenders on a Sunday afternoon. The Pinnacle, great place, especially in fall. The sunrise from there is amazing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts