Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insulating the Hennessy Hammock

What do I need to do to get my Hennessy Hammock insulated to where it will keep me warm down to 10 degrees? I see they sell the 4 season insulation system. I currently own a 30 degree bag and a fleece zip-up sleeping bag which could be used for additional insulation. Is that all I'd need with the four-season insulation system?

I'm sort of new to the hammock game.

Also, I'm using the HH Explorer Deluxe, if that matters.

I'm trying to insulate for as little weight as possible.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Some people have taken the HH SuperShelter system to 10F and lower but I don't think that's been the experience of the majority.

Personally, I'd look for a differential cut, down under quilt that's rated for that temp. They're produced by a number of cottage industries found here on the forum.

You should also be using a sleeping bag or top quilt that's rated to 10F or lower. Your bag's rating only applies to the upper surface. The part underneath you gets compressed and thus loses most of its insulation value. That's why you need and under quilt of SuperShelter.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

here is what I do for 10 deg F in a HH Explorer Deluxe:

Snug Fit underquilt
    plastic between UQ and hammock - vapor barrier
    2 Walmart blue CCF pads in a Thermarest chair kit (one probably would be OK but I use 2)
    zero degree down bag

note if using bottom entry you will also need a light weight rope /string and some shock cord to go over the top of the hammock and attaches to the UQ so that you can adjust the UQ after getting in the hammock - grip cord through the bug net and pull to get the UQ back into proper placement after hammock entry

also I use a hot water bottle at those temps

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    What I do in those temps is use my Winter Phoenix and Incubator from Hammock gear they keep my nice and toasty.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Arrowhead has a nice synthetic UQ for the HH: The Potomac. I have one and had the extra insulation added to take it down that cold. It's kind of bulky, but definitely works.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hmmm...
    I guess I'll have to get an under quilt.

Thanks for all the replies.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kfgk14 View Post
    What do I need to do to get my Hennessy Hammock insulated to where it will keep me warm down to 10 degrees? I see they sell the 4 season insulation system. I currently own a 30 degree bag and a fleece zip-up sleeping bag which could be used for additional insulation. Is that all I'd need with the four-season insulation system?
    No, not at 10F IMO, unless you are an exceptionally warm sleeper. People vary a lot, but for me that basic HH Super Shelter- including the space blanket- is good to about 30. And better at 35 on up. Here is an earlier test where I felt I was at about the limit:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2257
    That is not to say the HHSS can not easily be boosted for much colder temps, it can. But for me, I think 10 would be beyond my abilities with the most basic system. However, Ramblin Rev did 12 with just the addition of the HH kidney/torso pads and did fine, if memory serves.

If you are inside a plenty warm synthetic sleeping bag, you will pick up some additional warmth on the back side. But not sure about that 30F bag at 10F, even with the fleece liner, but maybe. trouble is, a sleeping bag inside a hammock is quite a learning curve for most, but adding the fleece liner will just make things that much more challenging!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kfgk14 View Post

I'm sort of new to the hammock game.

Also, I'm using the HH Explorer Deluxe, if that matters.

I'm trying to insulate for as little weight as possible.

Thanks.
    Four seasons where is the question. IMHO, there's no way you would get to 10F with the Hennessy SuperShelter. It is a silnylon undercover and a 5/8" open cell foam pad and Hennessy advises using it with a space blanket. I'd say 40F, maybe 32F, with a good bag or top quilt. I think that the sleeping bag or top quilt you use adds to the bottom insulation, but ultimately you must insulate the area that is compressed by your body and the hammock sides. You could add to the Hennessy insulation or use the undercover with an underquilt from someone else.

The Hennessy SuperShelter system is light and it blocks wind and rain too. A wide CCF foam pad is about as warm as you will get for the weight. Using one in a bottom-entry Hennessy would be a wrestling match. A down underquilt and sleeping bag or top quilt with an appropriate rating is the only way you will cover to 10F and keep the weight as low as possible. Unfortunately, low weight + cold temps = high cost.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    ive been around mid 40s with mine but thats just cause I came into hammocks late in the season. I plan on testing it out for sure this winter. I had any cold spots or anything. and I never used the spaceblanket. I will be using it in my backyard to see how low I can go. also wanting to get an overcover.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

The SuperShelter partially wraps up the sides and over the top of the hammock, therby blocking some wind and drafts. To get to 1oF, this system will need a space blanket and added insulation, which can be layered on top of or below the included foam pad. this pad should keep additional insulation that is on top of it in place.

How much you will need is an individual thing. Personally, if the forecast calls for 10 F, or much below, 20 F, I'm staying indoors. Around 15 F, I feel as if my nostrils and sinuses slam shut and I get a massive headache.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast