Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Suspension Choices for HH

My first trip out with my Hennessy landed my but on the ground. The suspension cord cut through the loop on the tree hugger strap (I'm 205).

I had already ordered descender rings and carabiners and had modded an enos to run tree straps all the way to the hammock. But they hadn't come yet.

I've now read that the smaller diam. cord (spectra?) doesn't work well with rings. So I'm wondering what my choices are for replacing the suspension.

I know I can run straps all the way to the hammock but what are the other (lighter weight wise) options? I believe whoopie slings are made from amsteel (?), but I am leery of the small diameter rope. How would this be any safer then the spectra option that landed me on my butt?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I am far from an expert about dynamic weight, etc, but I hung my hennessy from whoopie slings I got at whoopieslings.com. They worked great. Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope someone with more knowledge chimes in and gives some help.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Brill View Post
    I know I can run straps all the way to the hammock but what are the other (lighter weight wise) options? I believe whoopie slings are made from amsteel (?), but I am leery of the small diameter rope. How would this be any safer then the spectra option that landed me on my butt?
    i have whoopies made out of 7/64 amsteel and 1" polyester tree straps for mine, that seems to be the most popular choice of diameter amsteel, some use 1/8 but to me that's a bit of overkil,l 7/64 amsteel has a breaking strength of 1600lbs if i remember right, and i'm basically the same weight as you

it could of been the way you had it hung too, if it was strung too tight that puts alot more force on everything, you want that 30 degree angle on your suspension ropes

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    That is incredible, sorry to hear about your uncontrolled descent. I've used mine for years now and never had that issue. Is it possible that your knot wasn't secure and the line sliding through cut the webbing?

With that said I've switch to a Biner tied to 8" of the spectra then attached to a grand trunk suspension system I got at REI for $12

Boothill - definitely could have been something I did wrong. It was my first hang of the Hennessey. I thought unlike most hammocks, the HH was supposed to be taunt (not 30 degrees). So that may have been my blunder.

John - the carabiner would make what happened to me less likely. However, given the tree size I used led me to double wrap the strap but then the two ends were 3 inches apart. Maybe that contributed to my failure... Do you always want the ends of your tree strap to meet?

- the lines were very taunt. maybe too taunt
    Last edited by Roger Brill; 08-30-2011 at 20:34.

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    If you visit Hennessy's website they have a couple of videos dedicated to how to rig up the hammock properly with the stock suspension. The two ends of the strap should meet, and then you essentially lash it with some figure 8's and finish with a half-hitch. That being said, I'm still surprised it failed on you. It sounds like maybe something was wrong with the strap itself. Even if the ends didn't quite meet, the rope shouldn't have split the strap. I had a Hennessy and remember what the suspension was like. It was also your first hang, so it wasn't like the straps had sustained a lot of wear.

That being said, if you decide to switch to whoopies, don't be afraid. The 7/64 is more than sufficient for guys bigger than you. Lots of us use it, and we wouldn't if it wasn't safe. It's easier to adjust than retying the stock suspension. A lot of the vendors on the site sell them and offer great service.
    Last edited by lymphocytosis; 08-30-2011 at 22:02.

Thanks for all the replys.

lymphocytosis - I got the hammock from a third party. While the straps were still in new condition, the original owner did say that she made one of the straps. Maybe I will ask her what she made it out of.

So if the straps don't meet perfectly after going around the tree, it is preferable to have extra strap length headed towards the hammock, then to go a 2nd time around the tree and wind up with a gap between your end loops?

So for all those using whoopie slings - what is the preferred way to connect to the tree strap?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The Hennessey is a little more tolerent of <30* hangs... but not much. The _ridgeline_ should be taut.. not tight... but the suspension still needs to be set closer to 30* for best results. YMMV.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dangerbird, WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I purchased and installed this recently and love it. The price is right and it is pretty easy to install and use.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/HammockSuspensionSystem.htm

Best of luck...

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&amp;Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

The chances of having the tree huggers meet

perfectly are pretty slim. If the tree is too big in girth the straps will not meet and you will have to bridge the gap with the HH line and lashing. If it is of small girth you might go around the tree twice, or thread a hugger loop through the other loop and lash away.

For these reasons, and for easy adjustability I have converted my HH to strap suspension from AHE. There are instructions on HF for doing this, and you benefit from having an infinately adjustable suspension system without needing tree huggers. The JRB system works just as well, but is a bit slower to adjust.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast