Thread: Funny Wal-Story

Images

Smile Funny Wal-Story

I had one of those moments I wish I could have back the other day at Wally...I might have even been able to make a few bucks if I had played my cards right!

I was looking for fabric and this lady strolls up beside me and starts looking at some things she is interested in. She says to me, "Are you a designer?" Shocked, I said, "No...I don't really even know how to sew!" She gave me this disappointed and confused stare as I explained what I was doing there. When I told her my first project was going to be a hammock, she said, "Oh! For your stuff?" "No, for me!"

It was...weird.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I get questions from a lot of employees in the fabric dept when I buy a whole bolt or several bolts of fabric. They are usually surprised when I want a whole roll. They always ask me what I am doing with it. I have found that it is easier just to say, "I'm making some camping gear." and leave it at that. It's easier than explaining what I'm actually doing.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    The last time I stumbled across some $1 ripstop, it ended up being too short to make a hammock with (and I need to get one project done before I start any of the others on the list). The lady in line behind me was apparently trying to tell me that there would be enough fabric. "That looks wide. There might be more than 50" on there." I just told her that it didn't matter how wide, I needed the length. So she told me that it was awfully wide again.
    I just had it folded and I put it back on the rack.

Images
    Yeah, I love the looks I get when I need it no shorter than 10'. They usually just say I could sew 2 together. I just smile and say I don't like the look.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Yeah, I love the looks I get when I need it no shorter than 10'. They usually just say I could sew 2 together. I just smile and say I don't like the look.
    I'll have to remember that!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    A co-worker of mine called me at 0730 this morning to tell me he just got back from Walmart and bought 20 yards of two different colors of "that material you talk about". His next question was - how much money did I save and what am I supposed to do with it? He was currently testing for water resistance.

Tomorrow should be interesting. He's bringing it to work. Since he's the CFO and IT guy, I guess it's going to be okay to be on HF at work tomorrow to show him all the neat things he can do.

p.s. His last question was where to buy a sewing maching. I've created a monster. The guy has never camped a night in his life!

• + New Posts