Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line

Undershield, Spectra Ideas

Lookin for a number of ideas.

Design for an under shield to protect from blown drizzle and warm it up a little ... do no anticipate using an under quilt. I've seen some pics and could work from that I suppose.

Source for good Spectra line for Speer types. Currently use low streach climbing accessory cord about 6mm with 4mm prussiks at hammock for adjustment and Tree Huggers and a biner. Personally do not care for speer webbing approach.

Will be making some Black Bishop bags ... that's a great idea me thinks.

Thanks.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Design for an under shield to protect from blown drizzle and warm it up a little ... do no anticipate using an under quilt. I've seen some pics and could work from that I suppose.
    The Weather Cover style made by skskinner is very effective for it's weight and size. It's only as large as is necessary, and is exceptionally functional.

Source for good Spectra line for Speer types. Currently use low streach climbing accessory cord about 6mm with 4mm prussiks at hammock for adjustment and Tree Huggers and a biner. Personally do not care for speer webbing approach.
    I've had really good luck using APS. In particular, their 3.8mm Spyderline.

Will be making some Black Bishop bags ... that's a great idea me thinks.
    They certainly are a great idea. I much prefer them to Snake Skins for most applications.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    I am on Vancouver Island so we are in the same high humidty wet N wild winters. Snowing here today ... more like sleet. Will be following what you are trying for a weather shield to see how its handling the humidity. One of these days we should try to organize a Pacific North West hang someplace so that the east coasters don't have all the fun of hangin wid the crew.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    As to the spectra line if you ever go to Victoria on the Island there is a small sailing shop that has an excellent supply of it and very reasonable prices and in various diameters. If you have a sailing shop in Port give them a try.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    AngrySparrow--
    Wow that was quick and helpful.

I've only used hammers in short term known benign conditions for a few days without much wind-rain. I've usually had the option to bailout to my work locations ... backcountry ranger stations.

I'd like to upgrade my stuff to be able to handle those conditions late spring to early fall for 3-4 days without adding much weight.

I've slept down to 20 or so without difficulty .. it is the multi day rain scenariios I'd like to deal with.

Any other ideas
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Green Therapy--

Then you understand perfectly .. snow rain wind sleet here yesterday.

I've so enjoyed your country AND PEOPLE ... they are the best.... well Kiwis are pretty special too. BC skiing, sea kayaking, climbing, fly fishing, hiking. Circum paddled the Queen Charolettes too.

Your critters are for real too .. Vancouver Is bears and cougars are not pussies like most of ours.

We moved here about 6 months ago and intend to get to Victoria and bike the southern part of your island when the weather stops doing what it has been doing for so long long.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Have been to your part of the world as well and enjoyed it a lot. Cousin's hubby was in the Navy and went down a few times for a visit. Yes to the so called spring we are having, what happened to March, in like a lion out like a lamb thing.

Am curious as to your sleeping arrangement in a hammock. Pads, bag?????
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    GT--
    During my years of work in Rainier and Olympic NP I've seen maybe a total of 8 or so hangers in the backcountry .. that is out of 6.000-7,000 in the past 4 years or so.

Nothing fancy. We have 2 HH the BpUL and ExUL asys and I made 2 Speer-types. Use climbing Acc cord and Tree Huggers in lieu of Speer style webbing. Tarps are standard Hennessys and a Hennessy Hex.

In spring and fall and winter I typically use a 20 down bag quilt style, 40 in summer and for tweener or v cold might also use a light ripstop bivy I made for working in Sequoia NP.

Pads are selected from a range: the skinny Speer 1/4 up to extra thick Thermarest .. no more than 1/2 a speer + something and usually 3/4 length ... warm sleeper....got ridgerest, Wally foam, light weight Thermmies and others too. Esp cold nights will find me with a light fleece shirt to avoid arm-back chill. Like I said nothing special.

I am the original sleeps-like-a-rock dude ... diagonal, straight doesn't matter in the least. For ex: On climbs I used to dig a snow hole for my butt, tie in to something and take a 15-20 min nap ... I like rocking so the tieouts are gone.

Prolly will buy or make a SPE for me and or spousette. A few weeks ago I made a rip over bag to go over a Speer for spousette who was very comfortable in temps down to 25 or so in fleece and a 30 deg bag with a light Thermmie pad..

I've got stuff to learn but want to avoid gear head status ... all suggestions are appreciated and evaluated.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 03-28-2008 at 22:00.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Gear sounds about the same as mine..... a bit of this a tad of that and sleep toasty. As to an weather cover I have been playing with them the last while and a couple have worked well and one had condensation issues. I was out hangin on Wed or thurs nite in the clear sky frosty nite weather. The one I had condensation with was made of DWR solid top and bottom. The ones that worked great didnt have DWR on the top section.

Angry Sparrow's referal to Mules work and ideas is a good one. I also have some pics in gallery but am doing some slightly different other things with the design.

Would be a pleasure to give any help I can as to what worked and what didn't. High humidity can be a problem at times,
    Green Therapy

Images
    GT--
    Tarps are standard Hennessys and a Hennessy Hex.
    The Hennessy Hex is a large tarp with open ends because of the hex cut. There are large tarps that don't have the hex cut so you can close of the ends to various degrees. A large tarp that can block more of the wind offers another option to over covers.

Both large tarps that block more of the wind and over covers help with wind blown rain. Their usefulness overlaps each other in some ways and in other ways one does things that the other one can't.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast