Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Mosquitos Developing Resistance to Insecticide-treated Nets?

I just saw this and remembered recent discussions about treating hammock gear with insecticide. Thoughts?

"Mosquitoes can quickly develop resistance to insecticide-treated nets"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77H3L120110818

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a solution for this --- Everyone stop using permethrin,
    except me
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Eariler this morning,,and I do this once a year before hunting season on my property..I sprayed down without any clothes on,,outside,,with Sawyers 98.9% deet..top to bottom,,then put clothes on including gaiters,,sprayed down again,,went and cleared my 4 wheel drive trail across my acreage, then after picking up all the loose tree limbs,,ran my mower up the hill into the corner of the woods,,about 1/2 mile trail cleared,,to keep from getting tic and chigger infested..you could feel the heat of your body with this stuff on as its pretty wicked to wear..but works great to keep from getting tics and chiggers on you,,mosquitoes stayed clear too,,as I was sweating it off, working,,with weed eater, tree pruner, then lawn mower,,glad its done for another year..and then when done,,jumped in shower and soaked,,lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    I know it's entirely possible that this could happen, but unless mosquitoes were only preying on humans, I can't see there being enough of a selection pressure that this would drive them to evolve a resistance. If they stay away from us, they can help themselves to any wildlife that's around, so it's not like only the ones that can withstand the chemicals are surviving.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Eariler this morning,,and I do this once a year before hunting season on my property..I sprayed down without any clothes on,,outside,,with Sawyers 98.9% deet..top to bottom,,then put clothes on including gaiters,,sprayed down again,,went and cleared my 4 wheel drive trail across my acreage, then after picking up all the loose tree limbs,,ran my mower up the hill into the corner of the woods,,about 1/2 mile trail cleared,,to keep from getting tic and chigger infested..you could feel the heat of your body with this stuff on as its pretty wicked to wear..but works great to keep from getting tics and chiggers on you,,mosquitoes stayed clear too,,as I was sweating it off, working,,with weed eater, tree pruner, then lawn mower,,glad its done for another year..and then when done,,jumped in shower and soaked,,lol
    A deet bath like that can't be good for you. Deet gets into the bloodstream. I do hope it's only once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    uh.... no, glad we don't have much of a tick population here! I've only had one tick in my life time, and that was when I was ayoungin living in california.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I will be happy to share our ticks with you.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered end
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    Really its 110 deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    And I will share our chiggers
    Lack of preparation on your part does not constitue an emergency on mine.

Not sure who said it ...but I like it

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    We used to have lots of ticks, got a flock of 8 chickens, haven't seen a tick since. Chickens will consume an average of 10 ticks per minute. We have 7 acres, used to pull ticks off me all the time, have not had any. Nice organic alternative.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I know ticks arnt good for you, but neither is DEET--------years ago I had a bottle of DEET mosquito repellent in my pants pocket, along with a plastic tape measure-----------the bottle leaked, and the tape measure melted! ---pretty scarey stuff!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast