Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ Tarp Flyz
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    80 miles on a bike is a good work out but it is not that far. I think an average bike race is about 112 miles. Think of that as a marathon so an 80 mile ride would be like a 20 mile or so run, energy wise. I am sure most of you have hiked 20 miles in a day. Plus on a bike you can take your time and coast some if you want. Still not recommended for a beginner, saddle soar alone would deter me. Have a good one and maybe we can get together for a hang up around the AT. GLP you up for another try?

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I actually bike quite a bit but definitely not that far. I always ride my bike to work, college, and the food market and liquor store and since I live downtown of a small town its all within a 2 minute bike ride. I ride provided the weather is decent. I never have tried anything long distance full day, but definitely plan on it.

Do you have saddlebags or do you wear a backpack
    Biking for short distances is pretty different than for long distances, the same way carrying stuff a block or two is different than lugging a backpack around, but it's a good start and you can gradually build up. Still, if you're riding only a mile or two, you can be comfortable on just about anything, but once you've been in the saddle a while you really start to feel it if the bike doesn't fit or the saddle isn't appropriate (comfort rule of thumb: the firmer the saddle, the better, at least as far as I'm concerned. Cushy is BAD)

I have a large saddlebag and two panniers, and my bulky sleeping bag bungee'd to the top of the rear rack. It's enough to carry a short trip's worth of stuff, but if I added more changes of clothes and other supplies for more than a few nights' camping, I'd need more space. Though if I had more water bottle cages I could free up some space in my panniers. Incidentally, I got the panniers recently for 30 bucks on craigslist. They were in almost new condition, and when I looked them up, I found they're no longer produced but a couple years ago were selling for $125 a pair. Not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by GLP
    where do you plan to camp in Port clinton... if your only off the road i would join you depending on the day.... let me know
    No idea. My plan was to ride the Schuylkill trail up there, walk up the AT a bit, and find a good place to set up camp. A group hang there could be a fun idea as Eagle Eye suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by joehasbeard
    I don't do much riding aside from to and from work but in the absence of a car bike touring is my only option if I really wanna get out there and camp. Any suggestions on a good bike to start out with?
    Look on craigslist. You can find plenty of decent old road bikes on there, though they tend not to have that many gears, especially in the low end. This becomes a pretty big disadvantage in hilly areas. Lancaster county beat me with a stick. A better idea might be a hybrid, or, bike touring forum people usually recommend looking for older steel mountain bikes, which often have the braze-ons needed to attach a rear rack. Those would have gears more appropriate to longer, loaded rides, and are probably more comfortable on a long haul than an 80s road bike.

I have such an 80s road bike with said lack of low gears. I just got back from a 80 mile camping round trip to Jersey (Atsion Lake) and even having the weight of my food and camping gear on my back made it a good deal harder riding than normal. I would be pretty afraid to take this bike on a tour into any location with hills much bigger than anything in Philly, and I'm planning to get a "real" touring bike (Novara Safari or maybe Long Haul Trucker) later this fall once I've got some savings. The place I camped in Wharton State Forest was a real nice location though and the ride out is mostly flat.

Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    First link isn't working for me.

Thanks for your maps Karl, they helped quite a bit. mentioned in the Winter Hang thread that I was going to bike to the Pine Barrens last weekend, trip was postponed a week and I'm leaving tomorrow. Going to stay at Byrne and ride/hike the area on my down day, saves me the extra 30 miles of riding to pickup a permit and back if I were to stay somewhere in Wharton (e.g. Batona).

Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Same, getting a 403 error. Simply http://www.bikekinetic.com/ doesn't work either. I'll try again some other time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    Same, getting a 403 error. Simply http://www.bikekinetic.com/ doesn't work either. I'll try again some other time.
    bikekinetic ends in an x , bikekinetix

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12