Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice packs guys. This looks like this project won't be too tough to do and will be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to it and will be sure to post pictures. I hope it turns out around a 50L pack. I have a 40L and that holds my gear fine, but a second pack of similar size would be beneficial. Hopefully my I make it well enough to trust and my GF can carry my old pack.

My big concern is sewing all the outer items onto the pack. This would be the straps, waistbelt, and pouches. That is because I am worried about sewing through the backpack into the other side. I guess the last thing you do is "close" up the backpack to give yourself a single-ply piece of fabric to work off of?

I guess it depends if you form the main compartment as a giant "stuff sack" or do it the entire pack in back/side/front sectionals.
    Last edited by ljcsov; 08-17-2011 at 20:46.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    My big concern is sewing all the outer items onto the pack. This would be the straps, waistbelt, and pouches. That is because I am worried about sewing through the backpack into the other side. I guess the last thing you do is "close" up the backpack to give yourself a single-ply piece of fabric to work off of?
    Yeah, I build the pack in side panels, front panel, and back panel. Sew all the accouterments to the panels before putting them together to make the pack, then everything ends up in the seams for a nice finish. If you're really energetic, you can then bind those raw seams inside with grossgrain by keeping the pack turned inside out.

- Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

sclittlefield is a great source for the DIYers...... I have used his 200D Oxford for several packs, a couple turned out pretty good..... my friends thought I had purchased them

Packs are not the easiest thing in the world to make, just takes planning... My first was made from some left over fabric.... it did not turn out very good... but I got some experience... I would suggest doing the same.... but if you plan sufficiently, then you will not need the practice.
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Yeah, I build the pack in side panels, front panel, and back panel. Sew all the accouterments to the panels before putting them together to make the pack, then everything ends up in the seams for a nice finish. If you're really energetic, you can then bind those raw seams inside with grossgrain by keeping the pack turned inside out.

- Scott
    I see. Then you sew it together inside out? I think I can handle that. This project is a bit of an upgrade from my simple tarp. Haha.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Yes, planning is everything on these because of the layers and order it needs to go together. I've been thinking about this for ages...it's nice to know there are some plans/guides to help avoid the pitfalls.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Home Ec 101: always sew inside out*! (Only finish stitches should be rightside out)

*Just rule of thumb, FYI, YMMV etc. . .

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    What I did was make the entire backpack out of wrapping paper first so I could really see it in 3D and make sure my pockets were big enough and fit well together. I was working with no plan and spending 4 hours making my pack out of paper and tape really helped a lot.

Good luck!
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    As soon as you have everything planned and already in pictures in your mind half of the work is done.

pictures

yeah having it in pictures is great. The yahoo group has done it for us. Having the pictures from the group really makes up for some of the confusion in the pattern and instructions.

I am going a different route.

I started off building sil/cuben G4 pack about a year ago.
    Labor intensive, then I decided what the heck.
    All this time and its such light material I will be rebuilding it or tossing it after one long trip.

Having seen the Movie -Dersu Ulaza Several times, I always like his pack in the movie, which looked like a bag made out of animal hide in sort of a cargo net type pack.

I have yet to make one, but I did change that pack and just set it up so I could strap it on a SUL frame.

Gossemer gear sells removable hip belts.
    http://gossamergear.com/removable-hip-belt.html

Quest used to sell ready made shoulder straps but I dont see them now.
    I think I spent more time on the shoulder straps than anything else.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast