DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=photohiker;534173]Any Sketchup gurus here?

I'm wondering how to get a flat view of the tarp material from this model I made for my tyvek tarp, or do I have to redraw it in plan view for that?

If you go into sketchup you can measure all the relevant points, that way you don't have to adjust to plan. Sketchup pro has other features (maybe to do autmatically) but not sure. Example here:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson View Post
    Have you thought about something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adhesive-Tie...item2eb734eb91
    Man, that was an awesome tip... went running to the goodie bin, found 2 packs of REI Web Rings (3 per pack, hmmmm, hex tarp). Gonna follow your idea, run tyvek tape doubled thru the ring, adhesive both sides to tarp, then patch overtop. Musta been tired last night!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photohiker View Post
    Convert2010 has, posted a vid in the 'diy tarp idea' thread the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2sxtpcP81o

Aardvaark, I'm thinking the same thing about the tape. I have some coming to test, but I plan to use 1" tape running through D-Rings. I'll stick a bit of tape underneath where the tape goes through the D-Ring so the adhesive doesn't stick to the D-Ring itself. Might also put a cross piece of tape each side to strengthen and distribute the attachment load to the tarp.

Be interested to see what you come up with...
    Both you guys helped on this one, photos to follow after I get lazy butt out of hammock and into truck.

BTW, hard to type on laptop in a hammock, need a work table. And a bigger ridgeline organizer. And someone to haul it all in the piney woods.
    Rob

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photohiker View Post
    Convert2010 has, posted a vid in the 'diy tarp idea' thread the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2sxtpcP81o
    Convert2010 used Krylon Paint with Fusion made for plastic. That is entirely different stuff than shoe dye.

I don't want to burst your bubble but I have used Kiwi shoe dye on fabrics and swede and it bled when gotten wet. I'd hate to see it get on your other gear!

I will be very interested to know how your test goes. Humm....I may go do some testing too. If this works I can make a tarp for a loaner!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    Convert2010 used Krylon Paint with Fusion made for plastic. That is entirely different stuff than shoe dye.

I don't want to burst your bubble but I have used Kiwi shoe dye on fabrics and swede and it bled when gotten wet. I'd hate to see it get on your other gear!

I will be very interested to know how your test goes. Humm....I may go do some testing too. If this works I can make a tarp for a loaner!
    Oops, my bad. So he did. Sorry for the misinformation!

It was SteinbergerGPPRo who did the original Kiwi polish:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...p?t=526&page=5

Quote Originally Posted by SteinbergerGPPRo
    It repels water quite fine, but you'll lose a little bit of color when you rinse it the first few times.
    Doesn't look like he's been around since 2007 though. It would be great to get some longer term feedback.

I haven't decided to try and stain mine yet, just want to get started with a tarp for not a lot of money...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images

I got the piece I stained (one coat, kinda light), and rubbed with wet cloth.... got some color wash on the rag. Nix for that. May try Fusion, but might just stay in the "buff"
    Rob

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    I got the piece I stained (one coat, kinda light), and rubbed with wet cloth.... got some color wash on the rag. Nix for that. May try Fusion, but might just stay in the "buff"
    Did you dye it "after" washing the Tyvek and did you allow it to dry for the 6 hours suggested by the OP?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Did you dye it "after" washing the Tyvek and did you allow it to dry for the 6 hours suggested by the OP?
    Dyed after washing... dried for about 12 hours, but possibly flawed system, humidity pretty high where I left to dry. It was only a test piece, and it did use quite a bit to soak in. I figure to do the 9x9 tarp will take about 10 bottles.
    Rob

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Pullout Trial with tie-out tape...
    Used on a corner of left over material, taped the REI web ring to the corner, 2 strips 3/4 inches wide in crossed pattern (4 inches long), then a reinforcement piece 1"x4" over top of the strips.

Clamped the piece in vice with rubber strips to hold in vice, and placed about 15 pounds pressure on the pull, started to see the web ring deform, so stopped the test (only got 6 web rings, and REI is 4.5 hours away lol!)

Photos below showing final product, plus a reference piece of tape with hilited edges to see how I taped on. I'm calling this one a success, and as soon as I get an hour or so, gonna do the actual tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    After seeing convert2010's video about painting with krylon fusion I did some research. Initially it looks like Fusion paint sticks extremely well to HDPE (tyvek). I'd like to hear from Convert himself about how the paint has held up.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast