Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images

Red face Tyvek Diamond Tarp

'Mkay guys and galls, a little interogatory. Got a piece of 9'x10' tyvek, just begging to be turned into a tarp. Really like the "Redneck" factor (as my Bro calls it), and I have a good Noahs Tarp 12 for winter use.

The question, the burning question, how large to go? My sons' hammock is 108" length on the Ridgeline, mine is 102". If I plan for a non-Noah's Ark deluge event, and keep it pitched low to the mock, is 8x9 gonna be large enough? Leaves 1.5' each end. Appreciate in advance the advice!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you intend to use the full size of your 9'x10' tyvek, hanging it on the diagonal is going to yield a ridgeline length a hair under 13.5'. That is rather long and will limit your tree spacing.

If it were up to me, I might consider making a 2 in 1 tarp and have A frame pitch options with a 9' ridgeline and an A frame pitch with the 10' ridge line. So put tie outs on the centers of all 4 edges and the corners and call it good.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Are you putting 2 hammocks under there, or just 1? You could go with something like the tadpole or the edge tarp if just 1.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Just one hammock, when I run with my boy I use the Noah 12. 'Splain a little more about the Tadpole and Edge tarp, unfamiliar with them....
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Aardvark, check out this post, the tyvek is toward the end.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33492
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Giggle Giggle. Now getting out razor knife and Excel Cat-Cut Computer. The Ty-Cat shall be most splendid. Also to add Kiwi Black Shoe dye, found in a dollar store for $2. Thanks Old-Dog!
    Rob

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Giggle Giggle. Now getting out razor knife and Excel Cat-Cut Computer. The Ty-Cat shall be most splendid. Also to add Kiwi Black Shoe dye, found in a dollar store for $2. Thanks Old-Dog!
    Please post some pics on your progress, I'd love to see this thing finished. I found out there might be a cheap source of tyvek near by

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Just one hammock, when I run with my boy I use the Noah 12. 'Splain a little more about the Tadpole and Edge tarp, unfamiliar with them....
    Here's the tadpole:
    http://wildernesslogics.com/Tad-Pole-Tad-Pole.htm

Here's the Edge:
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/gal...m&g2_itemId=26

Very similar tarps, Edge is a bit bigger. I just made a Tyvek Edge tarp (tiny bit longer, tiny bit narrower) that weighs 14oz. I went from a Noahs 12x12 and dropped 20oz. Good luck.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    On your Tyvek Edge, how did you do your guyline tie-outs? Tyvek Tape? If you got photos, that would be great, I'm thinking rolled over tape secured to tarp, with patch tape overtop to supplement.
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    On your Tyvek Edge, how did you do your guyline tie-outs? Tyvek Tape? If you got photos, that would be great, I'm thinking rolled over tape secured to tarp, with patch tape overtop to supplement.
    I went with the penny-rolled-up-and-larkshead type of tieout. This is awesome because there's no attaching anything permanently and I didn't have tyvek tape to make loops. It's also awesome because you can set it up and see how it hangs, then trip cat cuts if you want later. (you don't need them for tyvek in my limited experience).
    This type of tie out is not awesome if the larkshead comes loose and you lose your penny. Other than that, limited drawback. Plus, you can use anything other than a penny if you do lose it- pebble, acorn, bead, not pointy stick etc.

Here are a couple of photos. Notice that I made little tabs on the RL so that I could make the penny roll up area without losing any length from the RL. I didn't do that on the side tie outs because I wasn't sure I had enough width on the tarp and I didn't want to lose even an inch. Now I know that there's plenty and I may cut the tarp to make tabs down there to minimize any of the wrinkling from the rolls. It hangs just fine how it is, so I may not bother.

I used 10' braided mason line for the tie outs and 12' braided mason for the RL sections. The whole thing weighs in at about 17 oz, and was free. I may switch to a CRL and use prussics to attach, but I think this setup will work fine. Testing this weekend.

Don't wash the tyvek before you make the tarp, it makes cutting straight much easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast