Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st hammock, local stores ropes, webbing??

Just wondering if there are local stores around here that carry rope or webbing strong enough to hold a hammock, and light. I went to walmart and got some polyester fabric that is thick enough to hold me, and now all I need is some rope or webbing to tie onto it, walmart had some rope but it was really heavy and thick. I really would rather not order online and wait for the shipping time, is there anywhere like home depot or what not that would carry this rope?

Also, it seems like there is a million ways to tie a hammock to a tree. Can anyone please point me to the simplest, yet most effeciant way to tie one up? Every thread I read there is another person tying it another way, so its just all confused in my head now, lol. thanks for any help.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Is there a West Marine near you? Their price and quality on rope are excellent.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Welcome Incacamper. Marine supply stores are the most likely to have something suitable. Look for something small in the 1,000-1,500 pound range. I found a roll of 3/32" 1,200 pound cord recently at West Marine.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I used polyester webbing from ratchet straps for a long time an it works great. Click on the "polyester webbing" link in my signature and you can get an idea of what I am talking about.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Cool, thanks for the tips. I have a west marine about 30 minutes away. And I have a harbor freight store about 5 minutes away from where I work, I think I will pick up those webbing straps.

Now, after I get the webbing, is this just used as a tree hugger, or can I actually use just only webbing for the support? How much rope do I need plus the webbing, or do I even need rope? Thanks again. Sorry bout all the questions, just want to make sure when I'm camping out my ropes don't break and neither does my head on a root below.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Incacamper View Post
    Cool, thanks for the tips. I have a west marine about 30 minutes away. And I have a harbor freight store about 5 minutes away from where I work, I think I will pick up those webbing straps.

Now, after I get the webbing, is this just used as a tree hugger, or can I actually use just only webbing for the support? How much rope do I need plus the webbing, or do I even need rope? Thanks again. Sorry bout all the questions, just want to make sure when I'm camping out my ropes don't break and neither does my head on a root below.
    Best to test any new hammock set-up near home with adequate crash pads available. I suggest Sealy Posturepedic.
    You could use just the webbing and attach to the hammock like Ed Speer does with his. The loop is sewn around the whipping/knot on each end. Not a popular way to go around here but it could work. I'd be concerned about the loop slipping off though.
    There are several other ways you could go about it also. One would be to take a length of Spyderline rope from West Marine and attach it to the ends of the hammock. Next attach the other end of the rope to the loop in the webbing via a knot like a bowline. Then just wrap the webbing around the tree with a Speer 4 way wrap.
    I really suggest just waiting and ordering the webbing online from someplace like Strapworks or Speer. That yellow webbing is not very stealthy and some have had a time removing the buckle. The new JRB Tri-Glide would be a great idea also. www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Tri-glides.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I used polyester webbing from ratchet straps for a long time an it works great.
    This is what I am using, as well. In the camping section at Wal-Mart, I was able to find a set of 2 ratchet straps for just under $10. The straps have a 1500 lb breaking point.
    I had to go through and cut out the stitching so that I could remove the hooks, then re-sewed it by hand. It's pretty easy to stick a needle through, so it didn't take too long.
    I figure that I can't beat the $10 price tag, especially since it's for two 15' straps. I have to keep remembering that they're in the sporting goods section, not in the automotive section, though.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by froldt View Post
    I had to go through and cut out the stitching so that I could remove the hooks, then re-sewed it by hand.
    Wow, that was a lot of effort. It would have been much faster to just cut the hooks off with bolt cutters. Even if you don't own any, you could get it done for free at any hardware store that sells chain, as that's what's used for cutting it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Wow, that was a lot of effort. It would have been much faster to just cut the hooks off with bolt cutters. Even if you don't own any, you could get it done for free at any hardware store that sells chain, as that's what's used for cutting it.
    D'oh! I don't own any, and I didn't even think of going to a hardware store.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    You can also open the eye up by clamping one side in a vise and using a pinch bar or a pair of vise grips to twist the eye open.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast