Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

hammocking new years eve?

how many plan to sleep in a hammock new years eve?
    i know some of you are going to springer.
    maybe it'll get cold enough that someone will want to do some backyard gear testing.
    right now i`m planning to go somewhere fairly close for sat & sun night... maybe linville gorge, nc.
    the only things that put a question mark in my thoughts are that i may end up going by my self... not that being by my self is a bad thing, it's just that it gets dark around 5:30 pm & i can only do so much reading<g>. long night.
    also, there calling for 40-60% chance of rain sat & a lesser amount on sunday.
    precipitation is a little easier to deal with if it's a little warmer or a little colder. they are calling for low 30s, just enough to make things tough.
    ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest &amp; DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Good luck on the New Year's Eve thing. I'm going to do a little testing tonight with my new JRB Nest. It's supposed to be in the mid 30's tonight. I'm trying to get ready to do 30 miles on the Florida Trail through part of Eglin Air Force Base on the first weekend of January so I need to get this Nest figured out. I also made a new cat cut tarp this past weekend that I'm trying. It's made out of silver 1.1 ounce ripstop with DWR from the Wal-Mart dollar bin. I think it turned out pretty good and looks sharp set up in the back yard. We'll see how tonight goes.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Have a snug night out, Stoikurt.
    Congrats on your homemade tarp !

Let us know how it goes...

Perkolady

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    let us know how it goes stoikurt.
    i haven't tried a tarp w/ cat curves yet. was it difficult to get laid out & sewn?

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest &amp; DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    let us know how it goes stoikurt.
    i haven't tried a tarp w/ cat curves yet. was it difficult to get laid out & sewn?
    NOTE: I have moved this and added pictures to a new thread to keep the integrity of the topic of this thread. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=4091#post4091

It wasn't that difficult. This might be a little lengthy but if you can hold on I'll explain my process.
    1. First I sewed the 2 halves together making the ridge line.
    2. Then I folded it along the ridge line and used pins all around the edges to hold the material together and layed out flat on the floor. My ridge is 11 feet.
    3. I came in 2 feet on each edge so the long edges will be 7 feet and took measurement for the end edges. 4. Then I used the cat curve generator that I think Youngblood developed. You have to enter the length and the amount of sag. I chose 3.5" sag for the end edges and 5" sag for the long edges.
    5. I made two templates on pieces of boards, but each template was only half of the total length of a side.
    6. I layed a straight edge along the sides of the tarp from point to point and then laid the template against the straight edge at one point, marked it with a permanent marker, flipped it over to mark the other half of the curve.
    7. To cut the material I put pins through both layers of material along and parallel with the marked cut lines. Keep them close the holes won't matter because you will be rolling a hem along the edges.
    8. Stitch triangular reinforcements on each corner on the underside. Just sew them down across from side to side and not along the edge.
    9. Roll and sew about 8-12" of hem along the edge at a time and you won't even notice that you are sewing a cat curve.
    10. When I got near the corners I sewed gross grain ribbon wrapped over the edge with a loop hanging off the ends. It's the same method used on my GG 9X9 camp "Neo Tarp". Some bar tacking is used with the ribbon.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. Sorry, Slowhike, I guess I have effectively hijacked your thread.
    Last edited by stoikurt; 12-27-2006 at 16:09.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=stoikurt;.I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. Sorry, Slowhike, I guess I have effectively hijacked your thread.[/QUOTE]

no prob.
    i gota make a cat tarp later on.
    i'm working on another hammock accessory right now.

Im there

Hey tim, its david-I dipped a bit too much into snakebite juice last year. I'll be there again. I'll be testing my 12 oz summer quilt (1 layer of climashield XP insulation), along with my montbell thermawrap parka santa got me, to try and reach the 30 or so it will be on the mountain. I have my doubts, but I have a silk bag liner and a reflective silnylon VB liner just in case. I'll be bringing 5-10 people with me on a 20 mile 2 nighter with plenty of snake bite juice, and better judgement with which to use it. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy systems people have come up with. See you there.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    how many plan to sleep in a hammock new years eve?
    i know some of you are going to springer.
    maybe it'll get cold enough that someone will want to do some backyard gear testing.
    right now i`m planning to go somewhere fairly close for sat & sun night... maybe linville gorge, nc.
    the only things that put a question mark in my thoughts are that i may end up going by my self... not that being by my self is a bad thing, it's just that it gets dark around 5:30 pm & i can only do so much reading<g>. long night.
    also, there calling for 40-60% chance of rain sat & a lesser amount on sunday.
    precipitation is a little easier to deal with if it's a little warmer or a little colder. they are calling for low 30s, just enough to make things tough.
    ...tim
    If you wanted, I could probably swing a trip to Uwharrie the weekend before New Years....doesn't look like the wife is going to be on board with me going to Springer this year anyway. Let me know.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willspower3 View Post
    Hey tim, its david-I dipped a bit too much into snakebite juice last year. I'll be there again. I'll be testing my 12 oz summer quilt (1 layer of climashield XP insulation), along with my montbell thermawrap parka santa got me, to try and reach the 30 or so it will be on the mountain. I have my doubts, but I have a silk bag liner and a reflective silnylon VB liner just in case. I'll be bringing 5-10 people with me on a 20 mile 2 nighter with plenty of snake bite juice, and better judgement with which to use it. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy systems people have come up with. See you there.
    good to hear from you david. i'm not going to springer this year, maybe somewhere closer to home.
    but it would be interesting to see some of the cold weather set-ups. maybe you guys can fill the rest of us in w/ anything really interesting.
    i saw your post on another web page about the 12 oz quilt. pretty cool. let us know how that combo works out.
    i just got the montbell thermawrap pants & can't wait to try them out.
    go easy on the snakebite juice my friend <g>... or you won't know if your quilt's doing it's job or not<g>.
    ...tim

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    If you wanted, I could probably swing a trip to Uwharrie the weekend before New Years....doesn't look like the wife is going to be on board with me going to Springer this year anyway. Let me know.
    sorry to be indecisive (i hate when people are that way w/ me), but i'm keeping an eye on a cold that's wanting to move in on me now. i'll see how it goes by this eve or tomorrow.
    also i have a friend who's going to let me know if he can go to linville gorge.
    where did you have in mind in uwarrie? the only place i've been down there is morrow mt state park.
    were you thinking about 1 or 2 nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast