SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

HH stock tarp setup in high winds - any tips?

Set up my HH yesterday afternoon in the backyard, and this was my first time doing so in 25+mph winds. It wasn't a pretty sight. The stock HH tarp tieouts are very fine, tarp caught the wind and the lines slipped out of my fingers, flailed up in the tree branches becoming a tangled mess that took me 30 minutes to straighten out. I was attempting my first tarp setup with it tied directly to the trees, so the longer lines (as opposed to the prussic knot attachment point) made it even a better sail... This was also before attaching my brand new snakeskins.

Any suggestions for ways to make high-wind tarp setup less painful? Heavier/stiffer tieout lines? Winding the tieouts on some sort of spool?

I would think the snakeskins would help considerably, but of course then the tarp has to be wrapped up in the snakeskins and attached to the prussic, with the resulting tarp ridgeline sag and lack of rain protection while setting up.

I would guess this problem would be even worse with larger tarps, yes?

--Kurt

p.s. this experience reinforced for me the oft-heard suggestion in this forum to work out the kinks of hammocking in the backyard before attempting new gear and techniques the first night in the middle of nowhere.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Site selection will help considerably. Go here and for aditional info. www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html#Site Snakeskins will help also. Tie the tarp directly to the trees instead of to the hammock. More info. about this located here www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html
    Most here have opted for a bigger tarp. After using and or seeing the bigger tarps folks use here, the stock Hennessy tarp looks like hammock floss.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    FF is correct in site selection may be your only defense. One more note. I don't put my tarp in the snake skins b/c if it is raining I want to put it up first and it won't dry in the skins plus it will mke your hammock wet.

Trying out gear in the back yard is just another excuse to sleep in my hammock whan I can't go hiking.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC

Two Snakes

I use two sets of Snake Skins, one for the hammock one for the tarp. This limits the effect of wind while tying to the tarp to the tree.

Images
    Some of the folks at HH have insisted that the biggest benefit of the snake skins is set up and take down in the rain, with the tarp in the skins. I have never actually tried it in the pouring rain, so I can't say one way or another. But I can see where having the tarp already attached to the Prussiks, all inside the skins, MIGHT help during set up in the wind. But you will have to add some sort of lashing to keep the tarp ( or Super Shelter ) attached to the prussiks while rolled up in the skins, in my experience, or it will come loose.

I have separate skins for the hammock and tarp. But either way you go, the skins will make set up in wind or rain MUCH easier. Probably the biggest help will be, if you are not alone, is to just help each other set up the tarps during very high winds. Wind and tarps can be quite a challenge.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    First rule is site selection.... always.

Otherwise it requires a work around or a requirement for more protective gear, or both.....

Sometime walking a few extra yards is worth it.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    If you can't find a sheltered site, snakeskins can be a help. If you don't have snakeskins for the tarp (I recommend them for other reasons, too):

Keep the tarp in its bag while you put the cord on the trees. Pull out the corner attachment point that goes on the tree (stuff it in the bag last) and attach. Drag the tarp out of the bag as you move to the other tree. Hold all guy lines in your "free" hand as they emerge from the bag. Anchor the other corner to the tree. Move to one side, anchor to stake, root, rock, etc. still holding both remaining guys. Move to last side. The trick is never to let anything remain loose and flapping, always keep the guys in your free hand. Hope that makes sense.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    When I had a Hennessy I packed it in one set of Snakeskins...the tarp always completely enclosed the hammock. In pouring rains I usually waited until there was a lull before deploying....I also was very careful about the site. I tied the hammock to the trees, then removed the Snakeskins making sure I had control of both side lines which I temporary staked down...loosely. Then I unclipped the tarp and tied it separately to the trees...I usually had to retie the hammock as I almost never got it at the correct angle the first time...then I'd readjust and tighten down the tarp lines...I used a Prussic on the sidelines along with a Dipsy diver which kept the correct tension even as the tarp got wet and stretched. I almost never had the hammock body get wet. If it was raining when I wanted to leave I'd only put the hammock in the Snakeskins and pack the tarp alone....

Here's a good picture sequence about the correct way to use Snakeskins.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    As for the guy lines, I use small velcro straps attached to the guy line where it is tied to the tarp. When installed as directed, they stay put so you wont lose them and you can trim to fit your needs.www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=49845-388-90438&lpage=none
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

• + New Posts