Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Do I need to make a set of whoopie slings for each hammock?

I admit that I am fickle about my hammock of choice. I have a good, lightweight nylon one that I pack when weight matters. Sometimes, for short summer trips I hang in my first true love--a cotton cloth weave from Brazil. I hope that that admission does not get me kicked outta here.

Do I need to make a set of whoopie slings for each hammock? Or is there a reasonable, fast way to move the slings back and forth?

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think it depends on how you're attaching the Whoopie slings. If you have gathered ends that you can loop the sling around - OR some sort of loop at the end that you can run the sling through - then you can use a fixed eye and Lark's Head knot to attach the whoopie. That would be quite easy to install and remove. However, if you have a channel that you want the Whoopie to run through, it would be less convenient (and more time consuming) to swap out the slings.

This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSch3...eature=related demonstrates both methods. The second method, where the whoopie is wrapped around the gathered end, is the quick and easy way to install and remove. Provided you can do that with both hammocks there shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps!

HOWEVER, if you're DIYing it, you may catch the "Whoopie Bug" - and making one set will simply not be enough!
    Maker of fine affordable No-See-Um Ridgeline Organizers.
    The Hammock Nest Outdoor Blog

This space for rent!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Depends on how you have them connected to the hammock.

If it's a lark's head like mine, then no problem moving the whoopie from one setup to another.

If you have some exotic knot or its "integrated" into the hammock, then you will have some work to do.

Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thank you thejennabird. The video helped a ton! That was so easy I feel silly for asking!

I am DIYing it, and I am pretty excited, so you are right--I will probably end up with 2 pair anyway. I knew I should have ordered more amsteel...

Thank you tight-wad. I forgot to mention that I the amsteel is on it's way, but I do not have it yet, so I have not yet made the slings or attached them to anything. I have just been trying to imagine how it all goes together.
    Last edited by pb&j; 08-17-2011 at 21:57.

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I hear ya. It's hard to picture everything when you're just going off of videos, photos, and forum posts. But you'll be a pro when you've finally got the materials in front of you. The waiting becomes the hardest part! Best of luck with the Whoopie Project, be sure to post pics when you're done!
    Maker of fine affordable No-See-Um Ridgeline Organizers.
    The Hammock Nest Outdoor Blog

This space for rent!

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    The fastest way to get the Amsteel is at a local westmarine.....do they have those in your neck of the woods? well yeah you can order from some sites or go to a west marine near you and they will cut you a big ol' chunk at about ¢0.22 a foot. little steep but thats the price to get it in your hands right then and there. They also sell Fids to make it easy to splice the line ( you should use some guitar string if you can get a proper 7/64 fid) some prefer long needles, thats how I did my first set but moved on to the guitar string because I found it much easier.
    Youll have fun with you first splice job....and youll probably get some headaches learning to play with the amsteel weave.

My advice beyond this is to read up A LOT on making these bad boys. Opie has some real picture heavy threads on the whole process and SlowBro made the famous step by step that is stickied in the suspension thread

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13328 ( that is for making the fixed eye)

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9349 ( and this is the working end )

Glad to hear Jenna steered you to the DIY method cause it can be a very self rewarding experience....did I mention the bragging rights on DIY?

Happy Hanging!!
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

wrt OP question - I use a 1 ft continuous loop on the end of each hammock and clip the rest of the suspension onto the loop (WS + tree strap) using a Dutch biner - I leave the WS attached to the tree strap except under unusual circumstances such as very large trees

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    +1 on hammock + continuous loop to dutch biner to sling. I go back and forth between whoopies and adjustable webing. I also move from hammock to hammock. All I do is select the hammock, select the suspension. Clip and go!

Like this, but mine is DIY:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/HammockSuspensionSystem.htm

Happy Hammocking!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JPsax View Post
    The fastest way to get the Amsteel is at a local westmarine.....do they have those in your neck of the woods? well yeah you can order from some sites or go to a west marine near you and they will cut you a big ol' chunk at about ¢0.22 a foot. little steep but thats the price to get it in your hands right then and there. They also sell Fids to make it easy to splice the line ( you should use some guitar string if you can get a proper 7/64 fid) some prefer long needles
    I've only seen 1/8" and larger (5/16" max) at WM and haven't seen a fid smaller than 1/4".
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    We're not gonna judge ya! If it's a hammock, it's alright by us. Heck I don't even judge a tenter, whatever floats yer boat! Anyways, if you can come up with a quick connect/disconnect one set could do ya.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast