WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have the same stand and the uprights bend a bit when loaded so the suspension angle changes with someone in it. It actually increases the angle and gives more sag which I find is actually a little more comfortable at times.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You're getting some good advice here, but I just wanted to jump in and say that in the two years I've been reading these forums talking about the "30degree" angle,
    this is the FIRST time I've actually seen a level!!!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    You're getting some good advice here, but I just wanted to jump in and say that in the two years I've been reading these forums talking about the "30degree" angle,
    this is the FIRST time I've actually seen a level!!!!
    I read a nice compliment over at backpackinglight.com that you guys were quite the experimenters and tinkerers when it came to hammock camping, and I thought, "Wow, I like the sound of that! I need to head on over there." And it didn't take long to realize the amazing benefits of this approach. And the level is just a testimony to my own nerdiness. I imagine that I could fit in with you guys pretty well. Hahaha. The feedback is much appreciated. And it does seem like that subtle changes can make pretty dramatic differences in comfort. I have lots of experimenting ahead of me. Thanks guys/gals!!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Keep at it! It will be worth it. This past weekend, I had to sleep in this vulgar thing called a bed. Between riding in the truck and sitting in a fishing boat all day, my lower back was killing me. I could not wait to get home and spend the night in my WB Traveler. Back pain now all gone.
    Even in my Traveler, I like my feet just a bit higher than my head. For the most part, I have not had leg issues. I like to side sleep all curled up. I seem to lay pretty level with great body support and no pressure points.
    I think my hang angle is just over 30 degree, but it seems to suit me.

I do like closer to 30 degree or even a bit less than 30 Degree when camping in my WBBB and I like my feet a bit higher (6 or so inches in the BB compared to 3 or so in the Traveler)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Not quite sure how your stand adjusts but I have the Byer Vario and it took quite a bit of experimenting to find just the right setting. Started with everything maxed out (width and height) and step by step shrank it until things felt good. Don't be shy about raising the foot end until the hammock feels right...I need about 8 to 10 inches higher for the WBBBs. Another thing is I don't set up the hammock for angles unloaded, I set it up for when my hog body is in it. The uprights will pull in and change the angles.

Patience is your friend and you are way ahead by sorting all this out long before you get to the boonies...where the experimenting will begin again as well.

Yeh, I never thought about my weight changing the angles, so thanks for that. I was just playing around in the hammock again, and as someone suggested earlier, I reached up, grabbed some hammock cloth and hoisted myself closer to the head, and it seems that most of the annoying ridge disappeared. But we will see for sure here in a bit when I hit the sack. I've got a number of things to try tonight compliments of all the help you guys have given me! I would LOVE to be able to totally transition to hammock sleeping, even at home. Although my bed feels comfortable, it's how I feel when I get out of it that irks me. So far, when I've gotten out of the hammock, my back feels just fine, and that's such an awesome thing!!! I know I'm preaching to the choir. Haha

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Keep at it man! When you find it you're gonna say "Ahhhhh..."

Good luck!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    Nice level! Is there an ultralight version for backpackers?
    Someone has mentioned that he uses a line level like this: line level.jpg while backpacking to ensure his head and feet are hung just the way he wants. Hey, HYOH!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    The use of a structural ridgeline over head might help with a more consistent setup and comfort level once you get the proper distance for a comfortable lay. It took quite a while for me to get the hammockbliss dialed in right with the proper distance apart on the ridgeline; but now it's nirvana sleeping at night with an ease,consistent setup each time.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    FWIW, our legs don't typically like to be totally straight for prolonged periods of time. That's one of the reasons why (other than low back strain) physical/massage therapists usually place a pad under your knees when you're going to be lying on your back for any significant length of time. Most people's legs start to feel "over stretched" and then eventually go numb when in a fully extended position. It's pretty much the same thing as "knee lock out". This can be exacerbated in a hammock when your feet start to become elevated due to torso slide.

As far as the "ridge" you felt under your lower legs: I found that I get the same issue if I'm not on the correct angle (offset) for the sag...sometimes you have to increase/decrease your body angle to find the "sweet spot". Using a SRL as a visual reference point helps. Almost without exception, I look up to find I'm not really at a sufficient off-set when I feel the dreaded ankle ridge...despite my feeling like I am. I simply wriggle my head and feet to increase the off-set angle and bingo; I find the "sweet spot"!

It's not hard to find something in your pack to place under your knees, negating the need to "add" anything to your system. I usually ball up my spare fleece, or I'll use my jacket if I'm not wearing it. On short overnight trips, I'll take my JRB pillow to use under my knees when laying on my back or for my head when I switch to a side/fetal position.

I love the level you have. I personally use a clinometer iPhone app to double check/confirm my settings (post-load).

Cheers,
    Mickey
    Last edited by Mickey.223; 08-19-2011 at 10:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast