Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Would be cool if we could make a list of such bags that are available.
    Feathered Friends Rock Wren
    Feathered Friends Winter Wren
    Exped Wallcreeper
    Speer Frog sac
    Golite Adrenaline

Anyone know any more ?
    Nunatak Raku

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/raku.htm

Hammock
    Hennessey Exp Zippereed Dlx A-Sim
    Tarp
    Hennessey 70D "HEX
    Insulation
    BA+Mtn,Hinman pad
    Suspension
    straps & carabiner
    Images
    I also use the Big Agnes bag with a left side full zipper. I use the Cross Mountain bag in a long left side zip with the Air Core pad backed up by the Sleeping Giant memory foam pad. Works great in 40 degree and above weather. Seeing as I'm a kayak kamper, I don't go out in the cold or wet. That's weather for staying by the fireplace and sipping red wine. No problems with getting in or out.
    Last edited by Greg Dunlap; 04-23-2009 at 18:42. Reason: add comment
    Greg Dunlap
    Santa Rosa, CA
    38.478156 N
    122.754598 W
    157 feet above sea level

[email protected]

Vietnam Security Police Life Member 361
    366th SPS K-9 Association Webmaster
    Da Nang, RVN TET 1968 - TET 1969
    Blackie 129X

Hammock
    hh,warbonnet
    Tarp
    mac cat,diy
    Insulation
    JRB,ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie,dutch clip
    Iim with SHUG OF THE SQIRM.i loved that last min. sqirm before sleep,until i sqirmed a little too much and broke the zipper.the next morn the micra busted me out and i became a quilt guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzie View Post
    Iim with SHUG OF THE SQIRM.i loved that last min. sqirm before sleep,until i sqirmed a little too much and broke the zipper.the next morn the micra busted me out and i became a quilt guy.
    Quilts rule in a hammock but a Rock Wren is just as manageable.

Hammock
    wb blackbird
    Tarp
    12 foot cuben
    Insulation
    phoenix undr quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Try laying the sleeping bag in the hammock zipper on top! Next get in zip up and turn.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I made a pad to go inside my Keity Zephyr, yes a little much at -15, but, oh so warm, and, you can never be too warm up in the White Mtns. It is made a Wally blue pad, a layer of 1/4 poly batting, spray glued on, and, a cover of nearly sheer Wally fabric (???). It has velcro tabs on each corner which mate to loops in the Keilty bag. With the stiffness of the pad, and the slippery nylon cover, it is very easy for the bag to stay put, and me to slide into. Yes, it is an extra bundle outside my pack, and, I only use it in very cold weather, below 20 deg. But, have been out with low teen temperatures, and that DIY pad and my down bag were plenty warm, not sure how low the temperature could go on this.

I also have a Big Agnes insulated air core, just tried it out last weekend. Now, that's nice!!!! But, although it did also fit inside the bag, there was a little condensation beading in the folds, so after two hours of sleeping, at 30 degrees outside temp. I placed the insulated pad between the undercover, and space blanket. Very warm, no cold spots, but, not what you would get from a UQ. The BA Pad takes up a waterbottle size volume in the pack though, and, weighs 21 oz. and, untill my UQ budget is sufficient, will be on all my trips. I have a HH/SS

Did I mention the pads are not as good as an underquilt. Just wanted to be sure about that.

See pictures on my CP
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images
    It can't be tht easy an exercise since I have had some of my scouts end up completely BACKWARDS in the hammock after trying to get into their bags. Very entertaining.
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Difficulty also varies with the hammock and amount of sag and practice. Most difficult is my HH ( unless I get mostly in before hammock entry, that makes it easy with any of them). Easier is my Speer, easiest is my Claytor.

At first, in my HH, I simply could not get in other than quilt style. Now, depending on some variables, I can be in with hood and neck collar zipped up in from 30 secs to 2 minutes. And for me, every time I am even close to the bag temp rating, that is always SO MUCH WARMER than trying to use any of those mummy bags quilt style. ( I still don't yet have a quilt) But some practice helps, or sure. The main trick for me( for getting in the bag once in the hammock) seems to be sitting in the bag and putting my feet and legs in the right distance, smoothing the bags inner surface out. Then I just reach back and pull the hood up over my head while still sitting, and zip up as much as I can, usually to the chest area. Then lay down and make a few final adjustments and zip up all the way if needed. Or, leave it partly unzipped enough to just put one arm or elbow out , but with the hood still over my head and the neck collar sealed. This can make all the difference in staying warm, compared to trying to use a mummy bag as a quilt. At least in my experience. Of course an actual quilt with a separate hood or thick balaclava, might work better than trying to use a mummy bag as quilt.

But still, it is really hard to beat the heat retaining efficiency of a 3" thick hood and neck collar surrounding every bit of your head except your nose/mouth and blocking all drafts. Also, I think the somewhat mummy like aspects of the PeaPod is one reason it works so well, especially considering how big of a bag it is. Depending on how much breathing hole you allow yourself, you are more or less sealed in a mummy bag head to toe. And if you have some sort of summer weight top quilt or bag or thick jacket, it works like a neck collar. So that there is very little heat loss from draft when you move around. Or, if you close it up all the way, zero loss.
    BB58,et al,

Not to steal TAK's frequent battle cry about the JRB Down Hood, but the JRB hood when attached to any shirt/vest/jacket collar give you this super warm head cover that a full hoded bag does but retains the ease and simplicity of a top quilt.... and it moves with you, staying in proper position no matter how you move....far better that turning etc when in a hooded bag.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Not to steal TAK's frequent battle cry about the JRB Down Hood,
    Pan
    and here I thought I was the only person who noticed...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    TAK likes the down hoods? When did that happen?
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast